1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Who do you want next?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Jul 2, 2020.

1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

2. Stokenchurch yid

Stokenchurch yid Well-Known Member

3. KingHotspur

I know, surely Levy won’t be happy with these comments

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's probably realised that the squad is massively unbalanced and we're not going to have much money to change it, due to the pandemic.

I don't actually have an issue with anything that he's said in that interview.
    He expects to win trophies during his contract and if the fans aren't happy, then nobody at the club is.
    Sounds fair.

Dier Hard and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  5. KingHotspur

But when he took over he said the squad was strong enough for top 4 and I bet he told Levy that he wouldn’t need a lot of money to fix things

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Does it matter if he said that?

obviously now that he’s integrated...he’s found out the truth about their limits. The limits many fans could see

I.e a spineless core

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And now he knows better, having worked with them and the financial situation has changed.
    We're going to struggle to move players on and that restricts any rebuild.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

****ing hell, we're never getting shot of Aurier, are we?

9. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Mourinho has now had time to evaluate the squad, he thought they were better than they actually are before he joined due to Poch over achieving, now he realizes what the squad needs. He is just buying himself time and putting pressure on the owners to show some ambition. It will not be what Levy wants to hear, but Mourinho is right and is just warning them not to expect too much unless they improve the team.

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Pochettino said himself this club needed a painful rebuild. He saw it, he knew what was to come. The problem for Poch though was that he saw it too late, because it was only about 10-12 months earlier he was giving an interview saying to “believe in this squad” after we’d not signed anyone. I remember saying exactly at the time we signed no players that it was football suicide, you cannot stand still in football and not adding to that squad set us back seasons because it resulted in more and more positions that needed addressing going forward and therefore we were always going to play catch-up.

Jose before taking over probably thought what a lot of outsiders thought, “this club got to a CL Final, the players are great they’re just struggling with confidence” when the reality is that individual heroics from Son in the QF and a miracle 45 minutes from Lucas in the SF paved over a whole season of cracks and we’d been on the decline for quite some time.

Jose’s now had enough time to work out far too many of these players aren’t good enough, as would any new manager so I think his comments are now of a realisation of just how much work needs to be done.

And for what it’s worth, I’m not saying Jose’s been an inspired appointment so far, he’s failed in a number of big games and made many dumb selections/ subs (or lack of) but ultimately he needs time and more importantly, needs new players for me/ us to really judge him as to what he can do for Spurs.

11. KingHotspur

But knowing Levy, he probably made it clear what he expected and Jose agreed

You can’t just blame everything on coronavirus and say ‘things have changed financially’

12. KingHotspur

Jose came in and the objective was top 4, very quickly (easy run of games) he got close to it. Then it went tits up and the results and performances went downhill fast. He’s had the equivalent of a pre season with the lockdown break and the team looks even worse. Once a Jose team hits a rut then he’s never pulled them out of it.

4 to go and then yet again Levy has a massive decision to make regarding the future of his manager

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Jose underestimated his task at hand

Any blame on the players or do you think they are world beaters?

Thats 2 top managers failing to get a tune out of them for the last 2 years.

14. KingHotspur

The players are just as much to blame as Levy for picking the wrong manager

But it’s easier and cheaper to replace one man than it is 20. Believe me there is only about 2-3 I’d be sorry to lose at the moment.

Jose isn’t the man for the rebuilding of a squad, even at his peak (long ago) he was the man who came in, bought a few stars and got teams over the line.

Spurs need a huge rebuild because the squad is stale and players aren’t as good as they once were

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Agree with this

The fact that Levy has brought Jose in is because he believes we have a winning squad. However he is wrong and whilst he remains wrong he won’t see a need to re build not that he has a clue in the first place

You see where our problem is?

Billy The Spur likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The obvious failing is that, with the way our team is set up, our play should look at least something like the way Juventus are set up

please log in to view this image

For ease of explaining who goes where, it breaks down like this

Cuadrado = Aurier
    Bernardeschi = Lucas/Lamela/Bergwijn
    Bentancur = Sissoko
    Rabiot = Winks
    Pjanic = Lo Celso
    Dybala = Kane
    Oily Rat = Son
    (The only difference is Danilo is more of a Rose than a Davies, but bear with me here...)

...and before anyone says anything about quality of players or Juve bossing Serie A, the point isn't the players available or whatever, the point is that in a system a team should be relatively predictable in their play with players knowing where to be at all times and their teammates knowing who the out ball is and where they are likely to be

Instead, what we actually see, is **** like this

As I've explained before, the faintest arrow indicates a minimum of five completed passes between players, and this is where the glaring flaw becomes clear - because those three matches show how increasingly ineffective the players are

To avoid turning this into another session bashing Aurier and Lucas, instead we'll look at the number of people who found Harry Kane with a minimum of five passes
    West Scam - Lucas, Lo Celso, Dele
    Sheffield United - N/A
    Everton - Davies

What else sticks out is where you see the triangles

In the Juve pass map they're mainly in the opponent's half, notably the combinations of Cuadrado/Bernardeschi/Betancur and Cuadrado/Dybala/Bentancur, yet our main triangles are in our own half, so no wonder we're not getting the ball forward if our combinations are in the wrong end of the pitch

17. KingHotspur

Levy needs to stop micromanaging the club and leave the football side to someone else

If he accepts the squad needs a major rebuild then will he give Jose funds to do it? I think he’s more likely to go back to Poch tbh

18. KingHotspur

Interesting stat-

Since Jose Mourinho took charge in November, Spurs have bagged the fourth highest points total in the league.

19. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

It could also be a lot higher if referees did their jobs properly.

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator