1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who are we going to sign thread?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by vinney, May 1, 2014.

1. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

He looked good when he managed to play, I don't understand how he wasn't picked up for loan spells at league 2 teams when he had such apparent potential. Perhaps that speaks for itself, still if Brentford pick him up and he plays then moves on for a decent sum there would be three Gills' managers who have something to answer for.

2. brb

brb Guest

he was a decent lad that wasn't given fair opportunity in my opinion, he lacked a little bit of strength but was only what...16 at the time?

3. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Yes, 16 years of age in 2010. I agree with you, he wasn't the strongest but you'd think that he would be far more suited in this league than in league 2. I can see him being signed by Brentford and doing well as a super sub in the championship and I hope he does. Better than moving to the MLS in any event.

4. SirKeefy

SirKeefy Member

I hope he goes well too. Good luck to him.

But even assuming he is picked up by Brentford, and assuming he goes on to do well for them, it wouldn't reflect badly on Gills. He was here under 3 managers but just didn't break through. I'm sure any manager would play a player if they were good enough. And as was said above, he wasn't even picked up on loan by other L2 or Conference clubs at the time (although I don't know why, maybe he didn't want to go out on loan). Ashley was probably a bit too young when he was with us. Hopefully he's a late bloomer.

And why is it an Andrew Crofts scenario? Decent player, goes stale at club A, moves on to club B and blossoms. That happens to lots of players at lots of clubs. It's not like Gills are alone here. Cody and Coventry maybe?

5. brb

brb Guest

Problem was i believe MA overlooked Ashley...whereas Hessy never. We all know the outcome in L1 of MAs youth policies....Essam....etc

Didnt birchall make comment recetly after the england game about smaller players getting overlooked...maybe Ashley falls into this category

6. vinney

vinney Well-Known Member

I have to say that whenever I saw Ashley play,he looked very lightweight. That was a couple of years ago,so maybe he's filled out now,but at that time he was not ready for league football

7. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

I've heard that we may be offering Nathan Elder a trial in the near future but I'm not too sure why we would 29 and hardly prolific.

8. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Not someone I would be excited about. Where have you seen or heard about this.

9. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

I saw it on fans online so again it's probably just some guys opinion but thought I would share it non the less.

10. brb

brb Guest

I've unstuck this thread now so it will have to stay up of its own accord, trying to tidy everything up now in readiness for the 9th August. If anyone is unhappy with me unsticking this please say and i will reinstate.

11. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

We've got former Tunbridge Wells winger Josh Stanford on trial at the moment. Apparently he sounded a big threat in the Folkestone game and PT is going to use him again in other matches to get a good look at him.

12. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Who was it that used to say that he saw Chris Dickson eating a kebab on Redfern Avenue every window? I have a feeling we may be going in for Craig Alcock. Believe that he would suit PT's squad mentality whilst bringing good league experience.