1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who are we going to sign thread?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by vinney, May 1, 2014.

1. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

@BBCKentSport: .@thegillsfc manager Peter Taylor says he's "very close" to signing a new striker. He's looking for two defenders too.

I'd take that to mean that we will announce a striker tomorrow and then maybe defenders at the end of the week? To be honest I think it will become clear when preseason properly starts tomorrow and we will have players training with us that aren't under contract.

2. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

3. harryheadbutt

harryheadbutt Member

Norris wasn't what i had in mind either but he could do ok...got 5 in 6 when he moved to the Cobblers. Cant help but feel we need a target man to go through, unless the 'new stay put kedwell' as PT wants him to do is that man. Thought we might have gone in for someone like Calvin Zola when he became a free agent. but he's gone elsewhere now.

Wouldnt mind a few goals like these two though

[video=youtube;kK4-WegVU1g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4-WegVU1g[/video]

[video=youtube;KjVq5KNFLAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVq5KNFLAc[/video]

COYG

4. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

If this Norris thing is true my initial delight at signing young players will turn to frustration as we simply need a bit more know how than we currently have. Look at Kevin Lisbie, a revelation at orient as he as been around the block a few times and knows how the game works. These young players might look good at the very start of the season on a fresh Priestfield but what about in February when it's tipping it down, freezing cold and losing 1-0 with 10 to go, at that stage I would probably prefer a few more 'been there done that' type players, really hope Norris isn't one of the three more players Taylor said he wanted to sign. Cody looks to be the only actual player of League 1 quality! (Including Kedwell) everyone bangs on about our leaky defence but Bayo was also vital for us last year and he doesn't seem to being replaced.

5. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Sky sports have confirmed we're close to signing him. I've got a real big feeling this guy is going to be another Andy White, Stefan Payne or German. Lots of hype but ultimately not good enough. I'm happy to be proved otherwise but just getting bad vibes about this one.

6. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Agree fully, we signed a young brentford cast off last year and look how well he's done.

7. Inthebook

Inthebook New Member

So that is Morris, Morris and maybe Norris. Think we can all see the crudentials required for a taylor signing

8. Gills-man-Ant-Dog

I'm getting more optimistic given the style of play we will be playing. Taylor has offered these players the chance to prove themselves in order to earn bigger moves or make a name for themselves in Legue 1. Personally i feel we have nothing to lose, if we'd have kept the same squad as last season, i think we would be relegated and we will probably struggle again regardless, so i'd much rather us play a decent style of football whilst struggling!

Look at the spine of the team, that's where the experience is and in my mind thats all we need - Nelson, Legge, Loft, Kedwell and Cody will all be starters and all have experience, the other wingers and strikers will be constantly rotated, and that's where we need the pace, creativity and hunger.

I do agree we need an experience centre half in now, by experienced i dont mean old though, look at Walsalls team last year, full of under 24s and played a great brand of football and overfperformed, Brentford also had a young team supplemented by a couple of older heads, why pay massive wages to someone who may not come off as a decent signing? For every Lisbie there are 3 Rod Wallaces, Tommy Johnson and Mark McCammons!!

9. Gills-man-Ant-Dog

You also can't tell me that Hess and Dack will shy off on a wet cold rainy Tuesday night, i've seen no evidence of this at all.

10. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

I fully understand your point of view and do have to admit it may have slightly shaken my belief but Dack and Hessy coming though the youth system makes them a cut above the new signings. Now that may not be fair but I think we're more likely to see players who have worked tirelessly to get a first team chance at this club for the past decade work harder than some players who've been dumped by there clubs and in all honestly have only signed to put themselves in the shop window to attract a move to the championship.

11. SirKeefy

SirKeefy Member

12. harryheadbutt

harryheadbutt Member

13. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

Well he's here now and a two year deal with some games under his belt at this level may be exactly what he needs. We all know that league 1 has a different quota to succeed, perhaps he may just be able to do it. I mentioned that this wasn't what I was expecting as a replacement to Bayo but perhaps a like for like replacement isn't what we need; Bayo's hold up play and distribution at the top is fantastic but if Kedwell can fulfill a target man role effectively yet last longer than 60 minutes perhaps we can achieve more. I personally like the idea of Kedwell bringing wingers and Cody into play up the pitch. Let's be open minded and hope that these two defenders are able to play the ball on the carpet.

14. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Now I look into it a bit more, I'm coming round to the signing of Norris slightly as he certainly does seem to be talented but honestly relying on Cody, Kedwell and Norris up front looks a bit tight. Last year we had Cody, Keds, Fagan, Bayo and at a push Weston so we could do with one more but maybe get him after a trial, looking on the free agents list there are still a few experienced strikers still looking for clubs so maybe one of them will do. Hope we don't hang about again now and get these two new defenders over the line in time for them to go away with the squad for there training camp next week.

15. Gills-man-Ant-Dog

i appreciate your concerns Lukey but hopefully it will turn out how we all want it to.

I agree that you may get more immediate fight from Dack and Hess, but to say 'players that have been dumped by their clubs' is factually incorrect, as far as i know Pritchard is the only one who was released, Both Morris', Norris, Loft, Mcglashan and Dickensen were all offered new deals to stay at their current clubs, so they've made a concious decision to either move up or down.

16. stringer

stringer New Member

I like this signing. Unlike White, Payne, German etc this lad has already got a very decent scoring record at the professional level. 10 goals in 26 starts in all competitions before he turned 21 and Brentford still wanted to keep him in the championship. I know you can't really tell from a couple of youtube vids but he seems to have good strength and a decent shot on him going by that first vid.

Do agree we could still do with one more up top. I expect Taylor to bring someone on loan.

17. Gills-man-Ant-Dog

Maybe, but perhaps not given Dickensen can play there and also i'd expect to see him blood some of the youth players who signed deals, usually the more forward players get the opportunity first so as you say maybe a loan, but i'd surprised if that was before the start of the season. (we'll probably sign another striker tomorrow now!)

18. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

It is good to see the negativity has started already. Christ on a bike, who has actually seen this lad play?? But you all seem to believe that based on a wiki article that he will be rubbish and not what we need!! At least give the lad a chance!!

Also to all those saying he is not similar to Bayo, are seeming to we may not play the same system as last season and Taylor may not need an out and out target man!!

19. Gills-man-Ant-Dog

Not sure where you got that from BSG, out of the around 10 people who have commented, around 80% have commented positively.

A decent young squad (apart from defence) is what we now have, Taylor has to mould them in the right way but as i said above i'm much more confident of a decent season now.

20. AshfordGill

AshfordGill Active Member

John Egan looks like being the next one through the door another 21 year old (Defender at last)