1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who are bigger: Fulham or QPR

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, Jul 30, 2012.

1. CFC: Champs £launderx17

2. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

A question for all Rangers supporters,do you see the spending spree your club is getting into quantity, /not much quality.
    a situation , much like that of Portsmouth, a couple of years ago could arise

3. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

As said, I think there's a big difference in the two clubs.

Fulham fans seem very calm and are willing to accept themselves as a small club punching somewhat above their weight. Modesty is their virtue. Modest but pretty stadium, modest fans who won't give you much trouble, modest philosophy on and off the pitch in terms of how thing are run (other than that Egyptian maniac, who, in fairness isn't humoured in his moments of mad audacity).

QPR fans are either insecure or ambition mad. There's the standard types you see at QPR, Swansea and Norwich who automatically go into top flight teasing mode and start lording it over clearly bigger lower league clubs to relieve years of jealousy which still persist to an extent. Then you have the drivers who want QPR to become a global club, spreading the fanbase and appeal, signing world-renowned players and creating a new, modern image for the club. I admire their passion, but not necessarily the way it has been/is being/will be implemented.

QPR do things with a bang, Fulham do things with caution. I don't think either club has a particularly large or passionate home or away support, although I'd give QPR the edge on both those things. I'd say Fulham's a more geographically worthwhile club, although I don't really know the ins and outs there. They seem to have five or six international supporters groups, whereas QPR are just finding their feet there. Five years on, I'd say QPR will have a definite edge over the fanbase though.

4. CFC: Champs £launderx17

very good post.

rangers fans mock Fulham about their away support but 6PR failed to sell 800 tickets on general sale v Norwich away, got 6k at home v Walsall, and their away lower tier at the Etihad was the emptiest is has been for 12 months on Saturday.

If QPR's huge gamble does not end in administration again, they could get close to Fulham's home support in the next decade.

But bear in mind with Fulham going up to 30k, they can increase their match-going fan base by 5k very soon.

5. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Give it a rest LOEC. You made your point before and thanks for that but a weekly update on their attendance figures is frankly, boring.

6. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

does it really matter, maybe as ffc fans we know our limits, and have probably reached them, where rangers are starting to go forward with such pace that they could end up a top 6 club, and good luck to them, lets just hope they dont get the arrogance that other clubs have, you know who i mean

7. District Line

District Line Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You think top 6 FT? Who do you think will drop out? As poor as Liverpool and Spurs are at the moment because of the size of their clubs and financial clout I can't see both of them dropping out, and there is also Newcastle and Everton as well, mighty competitive these days

8. fulham traveller

if you believe the hype, they will become the biggest club in the world lol, when the mittals took over they thought they would ovetake chelsea, maybe top 6 is pushing it,
    liverpool finished 8th no money to spend, so with a new ground 5 years time its possible if the money men keep putting the money in, we finished 7th 3 years ago without spentding any money, so maybe, cant ever see them making top 4, thats where the money is,

9. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

At best, I can only foresee mid-table for our neighbours. Irrespective of ambitions and money

Most of us appreciate where we came from, which enhances our views of being in the Prem for 11 years.
    Although some of us would prefer to forget to short-term Southern ManU.

10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

This.
    Cannot see us being a top 6 side for a long time. First the club need to get a new stadium and create a whole new ethos. We are a long way from anything like that. Sometimes owners think they can run before they can walk.

Over estimated the tickets for the City game (even i knew we would never sell the whole end being the last weekend before the holiday season finishes/5.30 kick off/live on tv and the second away game on the bounce after paying £45 at Norwich). Last season we sold it out (and fans missed out) because it was an importatant game.

I don't care what anyone says (or if they pick out 1-2 games) our away support is very good for a club of our size. Many times in League One we too 1500-2000 away to horrid clubs on a cold tues/Weds night. We also took 3200 to a mid week pre season game at Wycombe. Really happy and normally have 1000 regulars that go all over the country. Besides we can all pick out the odd Champions league game of fa cup semi or Charity shild game where a team doesn't sell all its tickets.

As for top 6?
    Most QPR fans are like me and are happy just competing in the Prem (staying up) and the talk of Europe is mostly from the owners. Last season a few fans thought we would beat Fulham, even i said they are a 'tough team' and you 'would be hard to beat' , you then 'tonked' us and gave us a wake up call.

It cost QPR more than just 15 seasons out of top flight when we were relegated in 96. Football moved on and we got left behind. We now need to catch up and try establish ourselves in this division. <ok>

11. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

From a neutral point of view ..QPR.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that would be my initial reaction. Probably because of the Stan Bowles era

12. Mr.Gaston Ramirez

Mr.Gaston Ramirez New Member

Fulham with out a doubt.

13. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

This thread wasn't started by a Fulham fan, we don't really care. We are currently a better team, that's all that matters.

14. District Line

Forum Moderator

Most importantly both Fulham and QPR have good owners.

Fulham are now an established club and have come a long way over the two years. No disrespect to Fulham but i remember the Post-Tigana days (especially under Sanchez and Coleman) where the football was pretty dire, but as Fulham became more established some of the football they play now is brilliant to watch. Twice in the last two seasons now they've gone toe to toe with United and in both cases extremely unfortunate to lose.

Fulham now are not only an established PL team but a well respected team that people acknowledge play good football, it's an excellent ethos they have of promoting young players and signing players on small fees.

There is a lot of potential at QPR with the resources they have available so you can see why players would want to join them, the added benefit of being a stones throw from the West End as well. The only thing stopping QPR from becoming a top 6 club is FFP and they'd also need to increase their fanbase which to be fair Tony Fernandes is doing. I think they have just missed the boat with FFP

15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I've been staying out of this, as it seems a bit petty and pointless. But...

If you bring history into it, it depends on which bit of history you look at. Pre 70s, Fulham was probably the bigger club, particularly when we had England Captain Johnny Haynes at the club. During the 70s - the Bowles era you refer to - QPR were bigger. There were spells of parity in the 80s, but from maybe mid-80s to mid 90s it was QPR. At some point in the late 90s early 00s, the balance shifted again in Fulham's favour. Right now, I'd say it's Fulham but QPR have the potential to change that.

My point is, you can view it on right now, or you can view it on history - either is valid - but if you're viewing it on history, it's a bit arbitrary to pick one era. Possibly - I have no idea of how old you are, PGF - you're focusing on the Bowles years because that's the era that you remember when growing up. You can't judge a club's history just by the bits of it that you were around for.

16. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

" Fulham do things with caution"
    =_________________________________=
    They do now the owner is losing interest, Berbatov aside to appease an unhappy manager. You're probably a youngster and don't remember how much was spent to get them established.
    Can't believe this thread is still going, I think might start a "Who is ****iest: ManYoo or Chelski" one !

17. fulham traveller

the last word, rangers play chelsea there biggest game of the season tomorrow and there are still tickets available in the home end, so struggling to get 15000 home fans, ffc play west brom game sells out days ago, all corporate sells out as well, erm

18. District Line

Forum Moderator

The last thing I will say on this is that things do change and there are many different ways to measure club size. Some would argue a club is only as big as the number of members it has.

Liverpool like to mock Chelsea over attendances but pre-1970 they were pretty much on the same level as us. The only reason I object to people using "history" in any argument is because people only choose the parts of history that suit their argument. If you want to use history you have to use all of it.

The English media have led people to believe that Domestic football simply did not exist before 1973 (when Liverpool started dominating) and that football has been tainted/not the same since 2003 (When United's domination came to an end). The English media tell us that Liverpool and United are the worlds greatest clubs and always have been, and that the likes of Chelsea and Spurs are insignificant.

The fact of the matter is when Spurs used to play United in the days of all seaters, the bigger gates were at WHL. When Chelsea used to play Liverpool, the bigger gates were usually at Stamford Bridge. In those days football wasn't global and you supported your local team so you could argue Spurs and Chelsea respectively had larger fanbases than both.

Everton were founded before Liverpool. City before United. Everton were a bigger club than Liverpool up until the 70s. City were bigger than United pre-WW2. Things change over time though and as Churchill said "history is written by the winners"

19. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Good point traveller. Do you reckon you will fill 30k when your ground expands? I think QPR should target a 25k stadium with room for expansion rather than go straight to 45K.

I'd be happy if Chelsea expanded SB to 45/50k. Be big enough for us in the medium term

20. NORTHOLT

NORTHOLT Active Member

What you think doesn't count, BlueZzzz you boring ****er!
    I feel sorry for your missus, if you have one and if you ain't a middle aged man living with his mum, then I feel sorry for that poor cow, cos you really should have been a ****! <ok>