1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Who’s the real Charlton No.1 keeper ?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Sep 30, 2018.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Dillon Philips will turn out to be a Ben Amos standard of keeper....but we won’t get the chance to find out anyway.

Bringing in an average midget stopper like Steer was very odd.

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking of "only one" Deano. Distribution crap, didn't command his area, but did more than any other player to keep us in the Premier league for the first two seasons with his bravery and shot-stopping.

3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

In answer to the original question, it’s probably still Dillon Phillips, at least until January.

One glimmer of hope for DP - Villa are conceding goals and maybe their new manager might want want a look at Steer.

4. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

For me this is just another reward for our perpetual failure to build a squad in the summer. Most clubs would want two keepers, a starter and a good back up. getting in a loanee is risky - only one keeper can play, and it's the player on our books getting sidelined. But as RD doesn't buy players now, a loan was the only option. So Dillon finds himself second choice again, and really must be looking around for another berth. We really need to sort this out, but under the current owner, all there is is stagnation. If Steer goes back to Villa, we immediately need a new back up. If it's a loanee, might the parent club not want to make the loan conditional on apperances? After all, if it's just training, I asume most clubs can provide that. So Dillon will become back up again. Or we bring through a youngster as back up (have we got anyone good enough Dick Plumb?) or hope if Dillon gets injured we can bring in a loan who will instantly gell. The more you look at this, the worse or club looks.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  5. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

We must be the only Club in the Football League that has had the first choice goalkeeper as a Loan over the last three seasons. Rudd, Amos and Steer. Will we go out in the Summer and buy a permanent keeper, or rely on another loan?