1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Which Way forward with brexit -Poll

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by gelders pie, Dec 12, 2018.

?

Possible scenarios

Poll closed Dec 14, 2018.
  1. Theresa May PM - with this deal

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Boris JohnsonPM -with his version , whatever that is

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Jeremy Corbyn PM - and whatever

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Let Harry King of the jungle sort them out

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

I think we'd suffer in the short term, but in the medium/longer term we'd be better off, frankly. We buy £80Bn more from them than they do from us and there's plenty who'd want to fill that gap...

2. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Huge loss for Theresa on here then !

3. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Enough of this Brexit back and forth. Apply for statehood. I think you lot would make for a fine 51st state.

4. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Macron kicked out? Because of the yellow vests? Public sentiment is turning against the protesters. They're a bunch idiots (most of them)

We want more hospitals. But lower the taxes

We want more teachers and more schools. But lower the taxes.

We want an increase in minimum wage. But lower the taxes.

Decrease retirement age. But lower the taxes.

We want macron out. So we can put le Pen, à right wing fascists party in power, despite the fact that only 20% of the people support her.

AS for a second referendum, why would it be undemocratic? Circumstances have changed, we know Boris and farage lied about half of what they said. The 1st one wasn't legally binding.

2nd referendum can have 3 options.
    Hard brexit
    The deal that has been negotiated (so at least we now know what we're voting for)
    No brexit

clockstander likes this.
  5. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I'd rather sign back up with the EU <laugh>

MrRAWhite likes this.
  6. dansafcman

Who? Trump? The man who wants the NHS to pay more for medicine?

7. Saf

You do realise that porkies were told from both sides? The remain camp said that 500k - 800k jobs would be lost just on the leave vote winning.

It's undemocratic because you don't get to have another vote just because you're butt hurt about losing. What if we found out in the 2nd referendum, that again one side had said something that wasn't true? Vote again? Of course not, because that's just stupid.

If the will of the people seems to change for wanting either in or out of the EU, every 6 months, do we have a remain or leave referendum each time? Of course not, because that is also stupid.

Stop trying to encourage fascist views. The EU and it's followers have form for doing this. Have a look at Ireland, The Netherlands and Denmark. Their views were ignored until the EU got what they wanted. It's now trying to happen with the UK. The vote happened and we voted to leave. The result has to be honoured.

farnboromackem likes this.
  8. dansafcman

Promoting fascists views? **** off mate. Willing to have a debate with anyone but it if you start flinging **** like that around you can do one.

And your point is exactly why we need a 2nd referendum, because no side knew what they were bloody voting for. No one had a clue. Now we do know, so we can vote based of actual facts rather than fanciful opinions.

clockstander likes this.
  9. Saf

<laugh>

I knew what I was voting for. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't.

The bottom line is the vote happened and needs to be accepted, no matter what you remainers try.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Dan your wrong on so many levels, i assume it's because you don't live in europe so dont know the reasons behind it.

Average pension in France is 450 to 550 euros per month, and there is no tax free sum before it kicks in, the only people who are well off are politicians, and government employees.Banks, and the rich
    All the people protesting are the poorest in society and can't afford to live on the scant money they get, E.U. has austerity for everyone except the MEPs who vote themselves massive pay rises every year, will they take a paycut, not on your life they won't .The E.U. will be bankrupt without the massive contribution Britain pays, this is from the Bunders bank economic experts. All i hear from the British press is doom mongering, but the majority of it is from MEPs like the Kinnocks whose whole family suck on the European tit. Vauxhall threaten to move, but they are owned by the French and already built a new factory in Morocco before we even voted Brexit. there are so many examples i would fill a book the size of war and peace.

Gil T Azell likes this.

11. dansafcman

I wasn't allowed to vote, despite the fact that I hold a British passport. Lived more than 10 years outside of the UK (but in the eu) so I get ****ed over.

I'd vote to remain, so I'd know what I was voting for. Its the brexiteers who didn't know what brexit meant (hard or a soft, if soft what would the deal be..., If hard, what are the consequences of that?)

Anyway, point is not to convince you that brexit is good or bad, but that a 2nd referendum wouldn't be undemocratic now that the choices are clear.

12. Saf

Countries not in the EU are not part of the single market, or customs union and are not ruled by the ECJ.

I voted to leave the EU, which means leaving all of the above.

We voted to leave so if any second vote were to happen, which it isn't, then remaining in the EU would have to be off the table as the UK voted by over one million votes to leave the EU.

13. dansafcman

Lived in France for 22 years...

You can't increase schools and hospitals while decreasing the tax.
    You can't increase minimum wage without screwing over the small businesses (and I know shop owners, and how they are already struggling to afford employees as it is)

You can't decrease the retirement age while decreasing taxes, because there are already too many old people compared to people of working age

Riever likes this.
  14. dansafcman

There was already a vote to join Europe 40 years ago. By your logic, shouldn't we respect the choice made back then?

Don't forget 70% of young people wanted to remain, and it's them who have to inherit the consequences.

BTW Switzerland, which is a direct democracy, regularly votes on the same issues as circumstances change. And the Swiss have the most democratic system possible

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    clockstander likes this.
  15. Saf

Lucky them <ok>

The vote 40 years ago, wasn't to join the EU the way it has turned out today. We never voted to be ruled by them, we joined for cooperation and fair trade deals. That's a great idea. We didn't vote for what it has turned into today.

I'm not saying there can't be another referendum, however, it will have to wait a generation.

16. dansafcman

Except its not lucky them, because its not what they want

17. Saf

More of them should have turned out for the vote, then. There were always going to be people upset over this, that doesn't give them the right to cry on like this and stamp their feet until they get another vote. Democracy in this country would be severely damaged if another vote happened.

The young bucks will be thanking us leave voters, one day.

18. dansafcman

A lot of them did turn out. However population demographics mean that there are more old than young people.

If hard brexit happens, and Nissan ****s off to the EU (as they import 85% of parts from eu) , I wonder how many of them will be thanking you?

Article below quotes chief executive of Nissan - so its not a politic piece.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...ain-leaves-sunderland-brexit-business-dilemma

19. Saf

Nissan isnt going nowhere

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  20. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Brits say they would hate to be American, so I can’t understand why we embrace so willingly Halloween, Black Friday , school prom , beauty pageant for 3 yr olds, junk fast food , inability to watch a film without munching through a bucket of popcorn etc etc - all Americanisations we could live without. Maybe we’re 1/2 way there

clockstander and MrRAWhite like this.