1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Which manager is next for the sack 2022/2023?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Feb 14, 2012.

?

who is next for the sack?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2023.
  1. Klopp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cooper

16.7%
  3. Moyes

50.0%
  4. Arteta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Guardiola

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Howe

16.7%
  7. Ten haag

16.7%
  8. Frank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Silva

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So Clyne and Milner aren't an improvement on Johnson and Gerrard...?

2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Man for man, yes.

But in terms of their role and positions, only Clyne is.

Milner isn't playing as a holding mid as Gerrard was. So you can't compare. Gerrard played a completely different role.

3. Of course you can compare. Gerrard wasn't playing the holding role in the second half of the season, Brod realised he was being exploited. He got played in a pairing and, at times, more advanced as the No.10 too.

However, going with your theory, who is replacing Gerrard then? And who is Milner replacing?

4. Jimmy Squarefoot

But even in a two, we will still poor defensively. We stemmed the flow of goals but midfield was still being bypassed. The only difference is that we had two decent players in defence - Can and Sakho. These two made the difference, which also led to an improved Skrtel.

Gerrard's role in a two was still as the one who would sit deep and get the ball off the centre backs.

Can should replace Gerrard at the base of the midfield.

Milner doesn't replace anyone - he's just another Henderson, who is better than Allen and Lucas (neither of whom got much game time).

5. Playing a central pairing is irrelevant. The conversation is about last year compared to the coming year and how we'll possibly improve. If its a like for like system then Milner IS an improvement on last year's Gerrard.

Can was decent in defence but not great, he got exposed quite a lot (fair enough since he's not a CB). Sakho was also made to look silly at times but that was more to do with the system (three at the back) than the player IMO.

Whatever system we play, we won't concede as many IMO simply because Johnson and Gerrard have been replaced by players better suited to how we play.

Anyone coming into the starting eleven is replacing someone. doesn't have to be like for like.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

I reckon lfc are quite a bit better. I want to see commitment now.

Johnson was seeing out time. Gerrard was too no matter what people say. Sterling was actively trying not to play well.

That's 3 we carried before we even talk of can out of position and balotelli faking all sorts.

As of now imo we've a very clear 1st 11 thanks got a bit of running in it and a bit of physicality too. Can, milner and henderson in midfield and firmino and benteke up top?

That's not getting pushed around.

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

Don't get me wrong - I'd sooner have Milner and Clyne in the team over Gerrard and Johnson.

But if we play a midfield 2 with Henderson and Milner, then the same inherent issues will remain - little protection for the defence. The issues may not be as severe as the last 2-3 seasons but it's still a big concern.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

And the differences that Sakho and Can made were subtle but crucial.

They are both ball playing defenders. It;s such an underrated quality but they have the ability to play out of defence and bypass lines with their passing. Skrtel can boast a high pass complete % but the majority of his passes are to his partner or full back, Without either Sakho or Can, we waste possession aimlessly passing it around the back 4.

Sakho is just a good defender. He bossed that left side with ease considering he plays next to a clown in Skrtel, and Moreno (who seemed to play a lot better with Sakho next to him than Lovren.

9. I think the same issues will remain but they won't be as exposed as before purely based on energy and effort. Milner (assume he's replacing Gerrard here) will put a lot more effort in, here cover much more ground and he will be a better shield as a result..

However, it needs to be a three, Heno, Milner and one other. My preference for the other would be Lucas, I'd be happy with Can but suspect we'll see Allen should Brod go with that type of system.

10. I think anything that happened whilst playing three at the back should be ignored, we won't (or shouldn't) be playing like that this season. I actually like Skrtel and Sakho as a pairing, sure it could be improved but its a good pairing and the best we have from the players in our squad.

Moreno is just poor. He can get better but nor can we afford to be carrying passengers. I'd play Enrique (whilst Flanno is injured) but we all know that's not going to happen.

11. Germlands Nozzer

Germlands Nozzer Well-Known Member

Not at first he won't, given that Allen's injured. Can one of the other two stake a claim before he gets back?

12. How long is Allen out for?

I think Lucas offers more in the holding role than any other player we have. It's no coincidence that the team improves when Lucas plays :)

13. Germlands Nozzer

Not sure. I thought he was out for a while, but after a brief look at google it might not be that long.

I think Lucas would be more disciplined defensively, though Can might offer more to the all-round game. I didn't see pre-season, but by all accounts Lucas was poor thoguh. Then again, Can hasn't really had a pre-season. Not the ideal situation really.

14. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

They won't be a 2 man midfield... Rodgers has never played a traditional 442

15. I've not seen any of pre-season, not interested in it as it tells us ****all :)

16. Germlands Nozzer

People were saying that Lucas seemed well off the pace and unfit, which is a bit of a worry at this stage though. Does anyone who actually saw pre-season want to comment?

17. @Red Hadron Collider ...? <whistle>

18. Germlands Nozzer

20. Germlands Nozzer

I wouldn't say that. @Red Hadron Collider often provides his opinion on certain individuals.

I get the feeling he may soon provide us with his opinion on ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.