1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where will we finish?

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by nzfoxfan, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

No, that is using selective stats to support your argument, you can't just take the good periods and "glue" them together, it doesn't work like that. You've had one unbelievably good season in the past five years but we have actually been more consistant over that period with consecutive top eight finishes and we have finished in the top six above Liverpool and Chelsea.
    We had many injuries last season to key players (thanks Steptoe!,,,<grr>) as well, that's just part of the game.

Now i'm not saying that you won't have another season like 2015/16, but a lot of things went for you that year, playing virtually the same XI all season. Next season you will have a different team and they may well not gel as well, Shakespeare is an untested manager too, there are no certanties in football and just because we have never finished in the top four next season may be different, that's why we follow our teams, we hope for success.

Libby likes this.
  2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

But do your owners have "ambition" :bandit:

3. Saints_Alive

I don't know yet...:emoticon-0107-sweat

Diego likes this.
  4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Pretty sure that most people with £ms invested in a club have some ambition, the higher they finish the more they make and the more they can sell for when the time is right.
    The whole "ambition" thing is total bullshit, all owners spend what they can to improve their asset it's just that some can spend more than others.
    The Forbs "rich list" is nothing to do with spending power, it is a valuation of a club based on it's assets and nothing more so available cash for players is not necessarily related.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  5. Saints_Alive

Yep, our current owner Katharina Liebherr is worth over £3 billion, it means very little.

Diego likes this.
  6. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Did your dad tell you that :bandit: <laugh>

The clown goes on about the Forbs list but doesn't seem to realise how long Arsenal have been on it but had limited spending power due to building a new stadium (probably because Leicester were in the championship at the time so he didn't know who Arsenal were). He also goes on about what they have made against what they have spent but disregards the £100k/week wages he says they pay players.
    He really is a FIFA/FM supporter with very little understanding of the real world.

7. Champions of England

Champions of England Active Member

It's not selective stats, this is my WHOLE point. We pick up points at this ratio when we play our high energy, high intensity, counter attacking football. It started with Pearson when we won seven out of nine, then Ranieri carried it on and yes that's EXACTLY what he did. Earlier this season he CHANGED that style of football and we were crap, just as we were BEFORE we started playing that style. Shakey reverted BACK to our high energy, high intensity, counter attacking football and without coincidence our results went back to the same as during the Great Escape and title winning seasons. When our players are played to their strengths, as they have been for 60 out of the last 85 games, we play like Champions.

That's not being selective, that's looking at it "as it is", the bigger picture and actually recognising what my team are all about. We are that good and next season, when we're played to our strengths again and with a stronger squad, everyone will see. We're just being underestimated because of Ranieri's 25 games when he changed our style of football. Big mistake!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

So what happened against Liverpool today?
    And just out of interest, why have you not played that style for the years and years you have been watching players that fit it?

9. MIAMI_FOX

MIAMI_FOX Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

we lost 2-1 :bandit:

Diego likes this.
  10. Champions of England

Oh my god, do you even realise how stupid you are? I said I wouldn't reply to but I've got nothing else to do and you are entertaining.

What happened against Liverpool? Erm it was a great game, our second and their fourth so we were a bit off the pace but we scored a great goal and they scored two. Other than, with all their creative players, Schmeichel didn't have a save to make and we were a constant threat until Vardy went off, after that we lost our way but this is why we're signing Ilheanacho. Players got important minutes and it was great to see James back. I'm very happy with the way the game went and the result is neither he nor there.

Are you seriously asking me why we haven't played that style for years?????? Erm let me explain this to you, before we got promoted we didn't need to concede possession to better teams because we were one of the better teams in the league, until we won it and then we averaged about 60% every game. First season we started well because we were attacking teams and having a go and picked up 10 points from the first five and then Pearson went defensive and we were bottom for 140 days. Pearson, Shakey and Cambiasso came up with this style of play to get us out of trouble and it suited the players we had at the time and it's still extemely effective now. We can't play possession football in this division because our players aren't good enough, as was highlighted last season when Ranieri tried it. It doesn't work for us, our counter attacking football does and that's what we'll play next season and when played like that we've averaged 2.13/ppg over 60 games, in which we lost just eight.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

But you have told us that the club have watched players for years and years to make sure they fit your style, which is it.
    Did Pearson, Shaky and Cambiasso come up with this style or have you bought players that fit it after years and years of watching?

12. Champions of England

They watch them for years and years yeah that's right but we take a lot into account like their mentality (which is why we sign so many captains and don't bottle games), injuries, attitude (look at Mahrez compared with VVD to see a good attitude v a bad one) and ability.

Obviously there are targets we've been watching who we don't pursue because they don't fit the ethos of the club, which we've actually had since Pearson came back and built the side that won the league, it was just the style of play that was changed to make us successful. Although we did piss the Championship breaking countless records along the way so we were already showing we were a good side, now we've simply stepped up.

This is basic stuff that you're clearly not understanding. Maybe you should pick a topic you understand before commenting on it.

Oh and by the way your comment about Southampton wanting to finish higher because it's more money is ridiculous as usual. First they have to spend money to achieve that and they're not and nor will they because they don't spend big money on players, they only sell them.

They're losing their best player and so far have replaced him with Bednarek (who?) and they're linked with Vietto (who?) who was at Sevilla but didn't make their squad for either game against us. That's NOT a sign of ambition and you're deluded if you think it is.

13. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> You are pure gold <ok>

Talking of losing best players, who do you think will move first, VvD or Mahrez?
    People are looking at Ndidi too so that could be interesting.

14. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

He is fun isn't he <laugh>

BTW I think VvD might leave first - Liverpool/Chelsea are more willing to meet his asking price then Roma/Arsenal/Spurs are for Mahrez.

As for Ndidi - any reports I have seen are about teams "monitoring" or "keeping tabs" on him so there is nothing really to worry about imo.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Shuuuush, I made that bit up :emoticon-0136-giggl

Libby, BigFox and nzfoxfan like this.
  16. Champions of England

Mahrez said he wants to leave but is STILL involved with the first team and is showing a good attitude. He will only leave when we're offered £50m. VVD is not showing a good attitude, quite the opposite in fact!

I don't care who leaves first because that wasn't my point, I was pointing at the differences in their attitudes. We don't sign players like VVD because he has a bad attitude and wouldn't pass our test.

There has already been plenty of speculation about Ndidi and he has already come out and committed himself to the club to put any of those rumours to bed. Same with Kasper so stop spouting ****e and add something sensible to the debate or don't bother.

17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, it certainly works, the players attitude was great last season with Mahrez a shining example <ok>

Libby likes this.
  18. Champions of England

You still don't bleeding get it. Aren't you able to take in anything that is said to you or do you simply ignore it?

I've explained countless times over the last few weeks why were crap last season and I've listed several reasons; a poor preseason, a hangover from winning the league and losing Kante all contributed but it was mainly because Ranieri changed our style of football. Trying to play a higher line and keeping possession doesn't suit them at all and we were crap but I rarely faulted their effort and often we were the better side until going behind.

At the end of pretty much every game I'd say the same thing "well that was ****ing **** but I can't fault the players effort, you could see they were trying it just wasn't working" and that's exaclty the way it was. They didn't down tools for Ranieri, they tried to do what he wanted but they couldn't. So no, as usual you're wrong and I never had an issue with their attitude last season, Mahrez was the only one who didn't return to form but he's bucked his ideas up now and is showing everyone why he's a £50m player.

19. Champions of England

I'm amazed that the last 85 games haven't shown you anything, are you really that blind that you can't see what's happened here? You're not alone I know, even our own fans can't see it but it's really not a coincidence.

I mean we lost just eight games out of 60 (which is more than enough to judge), picking up 128 points and scoring bucket loads along the way, when we've played this style of football. When Pearson played us too defensive we were crap and when Ranieri tried to play with more possession we were crap. Exactly the same players played in a system that doesn't suit them are relegation material but played to their strengths and they're Champions material. We won the league because we were the best team in it and since then we've lost one player who has been more than sufficiently replaced so how do we go from the best team in the league to lucky to be top 10?

Are you off your head or do you just see Ranieri's 25 games last season, think that's more "normal" for Leicester so that's how good they are really, they fluked the league. I know that's the perception but that's incredibly ignorant, as you'll find out next season.

20. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Apologies for interrupting the hilarity that is this thread <laugh> but I thought I'd let you all know that we have got an answer from our vice chairman about what the club's target is next season - top 10 and a cup run if things go well http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-complete-manchester-city-229031

That is a really sensible target and a testament to what great owners we have especially after last season where we lost eighteen times in the league plus we have a first time manager in charge who only won twice in his last eight games and decision to play a LB in the middle of defense when we had 2 proper CBs in reserve (yes I am still salty) was one of the reasons we conceded 9 goals in our last 3 games.

Anyway sorry for breaking up the flow with actual facts - as you were <cheers>

Foxy in Foyle, Libby and Diego like this.