1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by white_gunner, Apr 11, 2017.

1. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

It seems as though, unfortunately, us fans are being ignored, and to a certain extent, disrespected by those in the Arsenal hierarchy.

Rumours are Wenger is still set to stay another 2 years, despite the West Brom/Palace/Munich debacles.

While its obvious that a change in manager would help, and get rid of the toxic atmosphere at least,
    if Wenger WERE to stay for another 1 or 2 seasons, what would we need to do (change) to sort out this club?

Theres plenty of talk of bringing in leaders, changing the squad to be more physical like in Wenger's earlier years. But who would we bring in? Who would be available and would fit the bill?

What kind of changes would you like to see in at the board / behind the scenes levels? Plenty of talk of Dick Law leaving, but any coaching shakeup? Medical staff? Scouts?

Personally I dont have answers to many of those questions. Not sure what players are available that would bring steel and leadership and character; I would like to see a change in mentality throughout the club to be more ruthless, and instill that anything less than winning is unacceptable. Get rid of all talk of "top 4 is a trophy" and who "built the club" and what happened 13-20 years ago.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

In order for things to significantly change under Wenger, he himself would have to address the following..
    • Starting 11 should be picked based on performances.
    • Drop players after poor displays.
    • Substitutions should be made at appropriate times, based on whats happening on the pitch. Not just the 65th min.
    • Implement a proper modern strength routine (which would solve our injury problems IMO)
    • Let go of this annoying defensively highline. And buy a decent sized centreback to partner Koscielny.
    • We need a better first choice CF than Giroud/Wellbeck - or Sanchez has to start there.
    • Stop mentioning mental strength.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Do not offer Wenger an extension and bring in someone temporary until we sign Allegri or someone of his calibre. Wenger has become a divisive figure in Arsenal now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

From everything I have read, it sounds like the contract extension has been signed, done and dusted mate.
    He and the club are just, for some ****ed up reason, delaying the announcement of it.

5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Not much strange about the delay. They'll presumably try and sell as many season renewals as they can before they announce the news.

:emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash:

6. lazarus20000

This is probably the worst they've treated the fans. They are showing utter contempt.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

My theory is this...

Wenger has agreed to an extension.

The announcement hasn't been made because Arsenal were hoping to tie up Sanchez (and possibly Ozil) so that they could make the announcements at the same time. Probably hoping the Sanchez deal would help appease the fans.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

We still need a proper DM. Coquelin and Elneny aren't good enough and Xhaka is more of a CM.
    We probably need a replacement for Cazorla.
    We need an proper proven striker.
    We need another winger as Walcott / Oxo aren't good enough.
    We need to stop leaving the CB's exposed.
    The coaching needs to be improved, far too many players are allowed to get away with weak performances
    We need to set up tactically to nullify the opposition's strenghts, not just play 'the Arsenal way' and hope for the best.
    The scouting / negotiating team needs a radical overhaul, too many players have slipped through our fingers and too many players are allowed to run their contracts down.

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

At that is really the cause of your problems, and it'll get worse. You have a toxic support now, slagging off your own during a match is just stupid imo, it's worse than cheering the opposition, all it does is make it worse. Allardyce's last half season was defeat after defeat, fans couldn't wait to start booing once we'd lost 2 or 3 games, all against the top sides. After that you could see the players confidence go, they'd start fearfully as they knew the fans would turn on them at the first opportunity.

PINKIE likes this.
  10. lazarus20000

I totally agree it doesn't do any good for player confidence. But some fans have got to their wits end, the management is simply not listening which is leading some to take it to an extreme. In my opinion, it's all about the money for the current regime and they care little if we actually win anything. If fans hit their revenue stream then they will be forced to listen.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Been saying that for 3 years now.
    The board don't care if the fans go to the game with a ****ing banner, as long as they go to the game.
    If they go to the game, then they have paid to get in, after that, the board don't care what happens.
    Watch them take action when their ticket sales plummet.

12. lazarus20000

You're right. After all Kroneke is a business man that hasn't got a clue about football or Arsenal, he doesn't care if we win the CL or get 4th place forever, as long as he gets a nice little profit at the end of the day. Saying that, the sole blame doesn't go on him, but on all the management in charge - Gazidis, Keswick and Wenger. They have been given a budget which is decent to work with, but they've failed to make it work. But what is the target or goal? What exactly do they say to Wenger or are they too bloody scared. It's a combined failure of all those people for not making the necessary changes to say ahead of the curve.

13. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

The problem there is that they can afford to ignore the seat paying fans as they get a bundle from TV rights and spin off sales. A few less seats sold wont bother them - and they can always sell them to 'tourist' fans

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I agree about the booing being counterproductive, but against Palace the players fully deserved the vitriol they were getting, they were utter ****e.

15. yossarian

yossarian Well-Known Member

......is it down to the lake i fear

The RDBD likes this.
  16. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Ay ay ay ay ay ah, ay ay ay ay ay ay ay ah

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Haircut 100 .. .showing your age there fella <laugh>

18. lazarus20000

I'll say it again, it would be a fatal error by us if we give Wenger another year. We are better off getting anyone else for a year should we not get our desired target, like Allegri. Having Wenger next year will only increase his annoyingly arrogant behaviour, while the fans will increase the toxicity in the stadium. A happy medium would be to get someone temporary for a year. My pick would be Hiddink. He is a likable chap and knows how to get clubs back on track, while appeasing the fans.

He's currently the director of development of North Korean football so i can't imagine it would be too hard to prise him away, especially when the US are itching to drop one of these, MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs), on them...

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I was tempted to post that right from the beginning, but it would betray my
    80s teen contempt for Haircut 100. :)

PINKIE likes this.
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Hiddink maybe, not 'anybody'