1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Where Are Our Ex-Players and Staff Now?

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Which is probably why Gino didn't fancy him to keep us up... we shipped far too many goals in the Championship. QSF tightened us up enough, hung on through Walter Mitty and the snake.... now we still have our "moments" but we're closing out games better thus far this season. Looking very solid comparatively.

2. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Yes- they spent 100 million or so on a few defensive players too I think.

Cannot get a settle back 4 which cannot help and even changed the goalie a couple of times.

The 4 goes Fulham let in were school boy stuff and they should have had a red card.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Friday night French football fix has taken me to Ajaccio on Corsica. There are two ex- horns Johan Cavali and Cédric Avinel playing for the home team. Half time 1-1

4. Markthehorn

Still having some sort of career then .

5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Yes, this is the Championship level in France, although the standard isn't as good. Cavali is playing in his home town, and is the captain of the team. He has played for the Corsican national side, which is not really to say much. I had a look at the stadium a couple of months ago, and it really doesn't look very good from the outside. Inside there are three covered stands, and one end is just open temporary seating. As it was chucking it down with rain tonight there, that end was totally empty.

Markthehorn likes this.
  6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Had a brief interchange with Worrell Sterling on FB yesterday around the Barnes and Cally do. He is teaching sport these days at a college in Lincs..... another one from that great era....

andytoprankin likes this.
  7. Markthehorn

Good goals by Richarlison has to be said !

8. Markthehorn

Neil Ardley sacked from AFC Wimbledon.

9. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Sad to report that Sammy Chung is now in a nursing home in Wolverhampton. I believe he has a form of dementia.
    One of the legends of WFC !

10. Markthehorn

Wish him well - sadly a few favourites of the 60s and 70s might be suffering ill health.

Another fairly recent WFC employee is looking for a new job.

Harry Kewell sacked by Notts County - hadn't been there that long either.

11. Markthehorn

The hat-trick is complete - Jokanavic sacked at Fulham to be replaced by Ranieri.

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Maybe we did well not to offer him all he money he wanted.

13. yorkshirehornet

Sad news....................

14. yorkshirehornet

Tactically he was so good for us......maybe just too big a jump and remembering he had to build a new team on promotion.... a big ask

Markthehorn likes this.
  15. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

I am surprised by how badly his team did, I thought he would be a revelation. I guess it just shows what a hard league it can be or maybe he suffered from too many transfers.

16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that the Pozzo's saw a similar situation with Jokanovic coming. I saw plenty of gaps at the back to be worried if he was kept on, although few would argue he wasn't worth a punt. The Pozzo's were pragmatic in giving the job to QSF instead.

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

James ‘Jimmy’ Linton, who starred in the Hornets’ memorable 1959/60 season, died on November 7 after a long battle with dementia at the age of 87.

Mr Linton played in 43 of the 46 matches during the promotion-winning season, missing three because of a finger injury.

He stayed at Vicarage Road until 1963 before moving on into non-league football. He finished his career at Hatfield Town.

In total, he made 88 appearances for the club, having joined from Notts County where he had been for eight years.

After his retirement, Mr Linton worked as a self-employed carpenter, staying in the Watford area. He lived in Bushey Heath for 56 years.

I came across a photograph of the 1959/60 team on a Watford memories site, where people knew all the players except for the keeper. I was able to provide his name with ease, as I can recite the names of that team from 58 years ago whereas I have trouble these days knowing who played last Saturday. I wonder how many current players will need to return to a trade after retirement?

18. J T Bodbo

My first game was 1959 - I think I can remember the whole team, including Jimmy Linton. Cliff scored from the edge of the box. Had their 'keeper got in the way of the ball, he would have gone back into the net with it! I'd never seen the ball hit as hard. I was hooked! Linton, Bell Nicholas, Catleugh, McNeice, Chung Benning, Hartle, Uphill, Holton Bunce. It was probably against Reading , as we always seemed to be playing them! Happy days.
    Well, how lucky (for me) that I chose WFC (from Queensbury, Edgware, by 'bike. It could have been Brentford, QPR, or Arsenal - the family team as we came from Islington. Hence never Spurs!). Not sure i'd want to cycle from Edgware to anywhere these days!
    I go out with U3A group on our bikes each week. The leader is Sammy Chung's nephew. (As I have learnt - Chung that is - is in a nursing home in Wolverhampton with dementia.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Spot on with the team JT..When they won promotion the Watford Observer included a a proper photograph of the team, that can be found with a bit of searching on social media. I kept my copy for years, but where it is now I don't know.

20. J T Bodbo

I didn't ever read the wobby. I doubt if I bought a programme - but somehow that teamjust stuck..
    Like you I cannot remember the team from last season. Apparently, the reason we can recall our distant past with more clarity then the recent past is that the distant past is stored in many places in the brain, ( I believe as a result of being repeatedly recalled over many years). I can remember the name of every boy in my first year at secondary school. Partly made easier as we were arranged in alphabetical order - and spelling was a strong point then! The annoying thing is being unable to remove from memory so much rubbish that has accumulated over the years. When I am able to forget stuff, it always takes good stuff with it. But there we are.
    What is clear is that we are playing some great stuff just now!
    Aside from all that, and on a personal note, you are well out of things having relocated to France. We probably won't decamp to our cottage in the Haute Charente permanently - tempting though it is - but you won't need telling what a brilliant place it is to live ! (Not everyone seems to agree with that sentiment, but he is ... how shall we say ... misunderstanding everything about France)