1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's your conclusion of transfer window 2017?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by bobo_97, Sep 1, 2017.

1. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

What is your view of the transfer window 2017? I will try to be positive despite being depressed almost....

If someone said BEFORE the transfer window....
    You get to keep Alexis, Ozil, we bring in a proper striker and one defensive signing. We will get rid of some dead wood and the highest profile to leave is the Ox.

Not too bad ey? Would you have not thought it was a good window?

Yet we stand here with a very sour taste. Is it because of our result and we want to repair it with signings?

My biggest fear is the central midfield. We will be run over there I believe.

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

3/10. Lost a pretty valuable squad player in the OX, did not fix the huge hole we have in central midfield and over the course of pre season and the start of the new season, we have seen huge problems emerge in central defence and despite selling one CB, trying to sell another two and showing zero faith in one, Wenger has brought no new centre backs. The three out of ten is for Lacazette, who if Wenger even bothers to play <doh>, will get 20 plus goals this season.

BobbyD likes this.
  3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

As I've said before... Personnel will make zero difference. Therefore anything could have happened this transfer window and we'd still suffer the same old inconsistent ****e this season.

So my conclusion about transfer windows is.... Excellent. Net we've barely spent a thing and not allowed Wenger to waste much money. Save it all for the next manager.

BobbyD and Sign Da Ting like this.
  4. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Hhahaa, and I suspect that new manager will be next year already.

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

The window started promising but due to the disorganised way of our contract issues and the dragging on with our targets, it ended up being a 5/10. That's mainly down to miraculously keeping Sanchez and buying Lacazette. But we still have glaring issues with our squad in CM and CB which won't allow us to challenge for the title. We should have enough quality to challenge for the Europa if Wenger can get our team to perform.

6. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

2/10 for me. If we said Alexis is not for sale and stood by that I would go up to 5/10. But we actually tried to sell and even messed that up. Fine we have kept him, but what version of Alexis do we have. He wanted out, we said no. Then said yes, and now have ended up with him. Just a pure mess.

Rejected 10M+ for Gibbs and ended up accepting less. Refused to bid over 50M for Lemar but offered 90M on deadline day. Where they do that at?

We are a bloody joke!

Sir Tennisball and Quilllogic like this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

4//10

- Think we should have sold Alexis and bought a Top quality replacement early in the window. I think he's already become a disruptive influence in the dressing room and I think the
    'private issues' that Wenger hinted at post Liverpool are exactly this.

- Mustafi also wanted to leave and to be honest I think he's too small to play alongside Koscielny/Monreal. You cant have a midget backline in this league.

- Thomas Lemar was obvioulsy Wengers first choice signing. Initially bid around 35m, then around 45m, then 50m and on the final day we bid a staggering £92 million - (after Wenger changed his mind and decided to offload Sanchez)which Monaco accepted but I think Lemar needed more time to make such a big decision.The Sanchez to City deal never happened as a result. The whole thing was a mess.

-We still have Debuchy, Jenkinson etc.. and still have not replaced Carzorla.

- Also feel that Elneny and Coquelin are well below the standrad required. The fact that West Brom signed Grzegorz Krychowiak and Swansea signed Renato Sanchez on loan makes this even more ridiculous. Either of those players would walk into our starting 11.

- On the plus side the two signings we did make both look Class.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  8. TheBear

A bit of perspective though..The media are out to get us.

Liverpool get praised for keeping Coutinho (who actually handed in a transfer request)
    Arsenal get blasted for keeping Sanchez.

9. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Is Coutinho is the final year of his contract?

10. TheBear

Fair point but he is actively trying to force a transfer away from the Club.

11. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

But even without him Liverpool have a progressive team. They can afford to keep Coutinho and slowly bring him back in without losing much of a step. They should be rightfully praised for keeping him.

Also we said we weren't selling under any circumstance but then turned around and tried to sell. Liverpool stuck to their guns we didn't. We should be blasted for it!!

lazarus20000 likes this.
  12. lazarus20000

I think the difference was Liverpool stood firm against a huge club like Barcelona, whereas we flip flopped with Sanchez. I don't think we could have resisted a £100m+ offer for one of our players.

blukyt likes this.
  13. lazarus20000

Yeah hard to argue with that, we made a mess of the transfer window and Sanchez was headline news.

14. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Imagine what is going on in Alexis' mind. Told he was staying. Then on deadline day hear he could get his move and then that fails. That mindset is different from a player being told NO from day one and it staying that way.

15. lazarus20000

It's not an ideal situation. Unfortunately Wenger loses face in this whole episode when he categorically said that Sanchez wasn't going to City. Personally i think he should keep quiet about transfers as i don't think he has a great deal of influence anymore, and all it does is tarnish his image.

Not all is lost and Arsenal have an opportunity to sort the mess that's been created. But they need to start acting now than waiting for things to deteriorate further.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

17. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

The only clubs that can really be happy with the Window are the two Manchester clubs, and even then Manchester City may be a little unhappy.

I guess it all depends on whether Sanchez will play. If he does play, then we really aren't that bad. Two decent signings, and only one loss, of a player that even if you liked him, was causing a real problem on where to play him in the new formation.

If he doesn't play, then at least City didn't get him, and if he is screwed up, then he probably isn't going to be much use to them next year either.

Sir Tennisball likes this.
  18. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

If he doesnt play this season, as he (reportedly) has vowed not to, then you may aswell have sold him in this window and got cash for him, since you will now be without him this season anyway, and he will just sign for City or someone else on a bosman in January.

19. lazarus20000

I don't think he would take it that far. He will end up alienating everyone around him and even other Prem teams might be put off by that attitude. But hey, it's player power nowadays, so they have a greater say than managers and entire clubs.

20. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

1/10 in my opinion. Gazidis in any other football club would have been fired. This is beyond a joke now, I recall the feeble attempt trying to prise Suarez from Liverpool, bidding 1penny over the alleged release clause. Someone even compared (Sanchez) to the Liverpool Coutinho case. Sanchez, may be too greedy to put in a transfer request - however him remaining leaves a sour taste in the mouth. He thinks he is better than the rest of the team. He is no Ronaldo or Messi, he needs to focus on his job and stop throwing tantrums. I think his presence in the squad could be poisonous, like an enemy within, I would humble him and banish him to the reserves.

No player is greater than the team, and in days gone by refusing to sign an extension would have you banished to the reserves. I remember Michael Thomas being banished the reserves by George Graham.