1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's the point in Southampton anymore?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Click on "no it should be free" amd it lets you view it

2. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

The bloke doesn’t sound like a pheasant plucker.

4. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Sparky should read this out before the Brighton game and ask the team to provide their response on the field of play
    :emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl:emoticon-0173-middl

This afty I'm off to see Weymouth play Banbury in the FACQR1 ... now whats the point in that? :rolleyes:

5. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

That's because he is not a pleasant phucker :emoticon-0107-sweat

6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Personally I think the author of the article should be plucked, gutted and stuffed!!

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

We’re a football club Imps, not a product. We don’t need a USP or a narrative; we don’t need Cortes or Pochettino or Koeman. We need a stadium, a team, and a league - any league - to play in. We nearly lost all that 9 years ago, remember?

That’s the point of Southampton FC. Just to be there, every week, through the good times and the bad.

Couldn’t give two hoots if other clubs supporters have a soft spot for us btw. What does that get us?

8. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Up until 3 years ago, may could have asked the question “What is the point of Leicester City FC”

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

I still ask that tbf.

10. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

May? Theresa? Does this belong in the politics thread? OK, I'm clucking at straws :1980_boogie_down:

11. ImpSaint

Just stating what I think. Of course I know its about the club, team, players, fans. The article is using provocative statements but it basically is just saying "What has happened to the ambition and confidence at Southampton."

Maybe if he had written it in a more sensitive and literal way you would see that.

12. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

We are the new Sunderland. We'll sack Hughes early next year when we are in a relegation fight, hire somebody else (Allardyce) til the end of the season who keeps us up, appoint him on a 3 year deal in the summer when he does, then rinse and repeat.

13. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, I do get that.

He set out to be provocative, so I responded in the way the author of the article probably hoped people would. He stoked controversy to get a reaction; I reacted.

But I stand by my assertion that my club does not need to justify it's existence, either to me or anybody else. I thought loyalty would be the sort of quality you'd value Imps?

Dell1964 likes this.
  14. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

15. Dell1964

Dell1964 Active Member

No, Sunderland may well become the new (?) Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds and drift around League One & the Championship for a few seasons. But Southampton FC have a far stronger base; debt free, relatively self-financed playing staff/ contracts etc and a squad of international standard players with number of youngsters developing and coming thru the junior ranks.
    Glass half- full :emoticon-0148-yes:
    Whereas Sunderland have just entered the "Last Chance Saloon" and really need to get out of there THIS season!

16. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Maybe the author is just wishing to exploit bones of contention..

Archers Road likes this.
  17. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

He has a point though. Though it's not just in relation to Southampton but the majority of clubs in the Premier League, what is the point of them? You plod along, no chance of winning anything and go from season to season, the only thing you might possibly achieve is avoiding relegation but ultimately you're just there to make up the numbers and provide opposition for Man City and the like so they can whore themselves out to the rest of the world and become suck up more and more money like some kind of all consuming monster. For newly promoted clubs, there's a novelty factor but that'll wear off soon enough.

timatoketchup likes this.
  18. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

You remember the thrill and passion of those European nights Lapras?, that's what we are playing for to get a chance of more of them and it is easier to have a good cup run in the PL with better players at your disposal. It is also great on occasions to give the rich elite a slightly bloody nose...

Plus you get a chance to see better quality football although there was not much evidence of it last season admittedly!..<laugh>

19. ImpSaint

He isn't actually questioning the club's existence though. He is asking what happened to the "Southampton Way."

In essence he is saying we were different to all the other "fodder" teams in the PL but now we have just returned to being a number with no difference to the others.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  20. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The real question Is what is the point of anything anymore?