1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by BCR, Mar 27, 2011.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Your profile name that is. What made you think of it? What does it represent or how is it related to Liverpool, etc.

Bluff City- Nickname for Memphis where I am from.

Red- obvious reason

La Barba Roja- my favorite player in the world, the nickname for one Xabi Alonso (meaning is "red beard") also I have a mean ginger beard yet not ginger.... strange.

2. BringBackfootie

BringBackfootie New Member

Mine is because footballers are such fookin nancys, can take a touch and they cry, fall over and otherwise pretend to be injured. I want the players of the 70s and 80s with the tactics and equipment they use today, that would be fookin awesome.

I've seen players, Ronnie Whelan punch a player proper, bad you might think, not when you see Ben thatcher do Mendez like he did, what a scumbag coward to cold cock someone like that when the have eyes on the ball.

Players today Messi apart are a tier below those guys the Zidanes beckenbauers Papins Maldinis Klinnsmanns Weahs Ronaldos Zamoranos stoichkovs, the list goes on and fkn on, so many talented quality players in the european and world game, now and for the past few years the game has changed from one of fantastic skill to tactical formations ect ect.. it aint the beatiful game any more, it is all about digging out results and if you can manage to play well doing it it is a bonus. I don't think even Barca of now would live with some of the great european teams of those two decades, Milan had some great sides, as did barca with Ronaldo and Zamo. Magic. Auld Lothar Matheus was a lege too for club and country, so many great players, what has happened to football and are Barcalona finally reviving the great european team as there hasn't been one for quite a while. they are in full flow the most entertaining team to watch in the world by a fair margin.

BringBackFootie

3. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Mine is a tribute to the absolute genius that is Robbie Fowler!

4. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Mine is a tribe to..... The Liverbird. Except with a "Ze" instead of "The"

5. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

I chose my name because of posts like this, no offence intended. I was there and I certainly don't want those days back. Talentless hardmen were dominating and ruining the game, hacking away at skillful players. It was the same in school, with sadistic P.E. teachers encouraging the louts, as if rugby wasn't a big enough hit of hoolganism for them. And you know what they say about rugby: a sport for those without the skill to play football.

6. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

Mine is in tribute to the best keeper in the premier-league without question.Jose Manuel ''Pepe'' Reina.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

One point I agree with on BringBackFootie, my age range where I really started to understand the game, watch it, really follow it,etc was around 93' right before the World Cup here in the US and I had just started to play competitively. The caliber of players I witnessed in that time frame just seemed to be at a lot higher level than what they are now. Guys like Batigol that no one knows about, or the great Jay-Jay Okocha. Even a guy like Rivaldo seems to be unheard of to these kids and he is still playing and won the world cup in 02!

Usually we put together a list of players in all the positions and hand them out to players or say go watch this guy to know how to really play that position. With that being said two of my favorite players and two of the best players I watched live where Okocha and Kanu. I was able to get to some games at the Olympics here and those two were just on another level. It really made me wonder how Kanu would have panned out had he not had his heart problems. Okocha might possibly be one of the best players to never play at a "big" club. crazy.

8. Bozz

Bozz Well-Known Member

my surname is Boswick-Pagani, my nickname is Bozz. I also use the nickname Bozzaholic on websites that insist that my name is 6 characters or more.

9. King_Kenny

King_Kenny Member

Mine is a tribute to the great American country music singer-songwriter, photographer, record producer, actor and entrepreneur, Kenny Rogers.

not really though.

10. BringBackfootie

BringBackfootie New Member

A bit half cocked for the MFG, surprised I am:)
    I meant the players and their mentality towards physical play, not to kick lumps out of each other but to ignore taps and bumps and nothing fouls that don't hinder them much, no pretending to be hurt, really sick of that one, arguing with hte ref whn you know 100% you are guilty, that one really bugs the cr@p outa me. it was as much tactics of the day and managers instructions as the players themselves that were responsible for some nasty stuff indeed. I am of the opinion though that those players would have a lot to offer modern football minus the nasty stuff

We need a new card for the lower offences and a "sinbin" between yellow and red to properly punish all offences. We also need to semi circles on either side of the pitch like in ice hockey, only the ref and any player he calls to him can stand in these when play stops, this completely stops players crowding the ref as it is a sending off to encroach on it I should think and a suspension as well just to enforce the point further.

And Rugby, biting men showering with men cupping men yanking grabbing and gouging, erm.... is that even a sport sounds like the a night in the blue oyster so it does