1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What's Hess going to do about the defensive problems.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by LastWaltzGFC, Jan 30, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Grumpy /brb et al
    I think it s generally accepted that we have defence problems - particularly with the full back positions.
    Grumpy - Fish imho is not good enough at right back. He has been beaten by the left sided striker / winger too many times. His distribution has been awful - it was particulary bad at Crawley before he was taken off. I fear that his re-introduction will not enhance our (dwindling) play off hopes. We need proper fullbacks playing in those positions. ( and no, I don't know who of the current squad to pick - maybe we will need to look elsewhere for quality )
    A lot of mixed opinion has been given about Lawrence. I too think he is stupid to risk / give away penalties - such as Crawley. But at that game he went on to have a brilliant performance, including a stunning goal line clearance when Flitney was beaten with only a couple of minutes to play. Whilst I too have mixed feelings about the entire defence - until we get the full back situation sorted we will continue to make do with players not in their natural positions.
    Yesterday I mentioned about the passion that Hess had as a player. My main disappointment with him is the fact that he has been unable to instil this passion into the mentality of ( at least half ) the current squad.