1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Whats going on here?!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Rubbersoul, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Rubbersoul

Rubbersoul Well-Known Member

What's with the no transfers?

I know Lamela coming back will be massive but will he be an improvement after the massive injury?

You have a great squad but it's lacking the superstar to go to the next level.

Plus selling Walker only makes your squad weaker?

2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Settled sides win trophies Just look at Leicester the season before last. We are quite happy thank you.

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

What's going there?!

4. Jim White and his crew (TalkSport) were at the launch of the new Premier season event, today, and he interview Poch. It was very interesting hearing what Poch had to say.

He was confronted, directly, about the lack of transfer activity, and Poch said that Levy was working hard behind the scenes, and that he expected "three or four" new arrivals before the window closes.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

He should have just said that the club are busy behind the
    scenes, and left it at that.

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

So far, two players purchased by English clubs would stand a chance of making it into our first team........and we sold one of them. Whatever it is that we're supposedly missing out on.........well, it's no great loss. We'll pick up some squad players later.

We'll leave signing Messi for the first game at the new stadium.

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  7. Perhaps, but I rather got the sense, from how he said what he said, that the deals are pretty much done.

8. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

"We are quite happy".

I'm not. I think the past few months have been a shambles. From the season ticket fiasco, the ridiculous Kyle Walker transfer, to the whoring ourselves last weekend in the Juventus friendly, and the farce regarding the RB situation going into the first game of the season, makes me far from "quite happy" thank you.

KingHotspur likes this.
  9. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Levy is playing hardball in the transfer market again - which is seen as a great tactic by many Spurs fans and one over the big money clubs who are clearly prepared to pay over the odds to get players they want.
    There's still time left in the transfer window for Spurs to do some business, but the last ditch buys 12 months ago don't bode well.

And the season starts this weekend with Spurs having sold Walker and some other squad players, but having failed to replace any of them.
    The pro-Levy camp claim that Spurs have as good a starting XI as any other PL club and don't need to rush into buying new players unnecessarily.
    But this argument is flawed in a number of respects.

It's because the team is strong that players should have been bought in the early close season. This would have improved squad depth and given time for new players to settle without pressure. Furthermore, the squad is clearly lacking in depth. Relying on young players to step up is a hit and miss policy. For every Dele Alli, there are a dozens of young players who lack the qualities needed to play consistently well at the the top end of the PL and need time to develop physically, mentally, tactically and to gain experience incrementally. If they are going to develop into good enough players, it won't happen overnight. The idea that because they have done well with representative sides at U-19 or U-20 level, they can cut it at PL level is utter nonsense. That experience wouldn't equip them to cut it at League One level (and there are plenty of players at that level who were going to be the next big thing based on youth level performances).

Not recruiting additional players leaves the manager a hostage to fortune. He has a very limited plan B in the event of injuries, suspension, lack of form, tactical substitutions etc. If Spurs could start as the team left off last season, then it's not a problem and anyone who dares to question the approach has been undermined. Told you so. But May to August is a long time. Slow starts to the season are more relevant considerations if the last two (very successful but ultimately falling short) seasons are anything to go by.

And buying a top quality player or two boosts the squad generally. Players look at other rival teams and see star players being recruited. They expect those teams to be stronger. They want to match them. Competition for places is healthy. Competition is necessary when the team is competing for four different trophies and playing in every game is not realistic. Players recognise this. It's additional pressure if you are expected to play all the time because the only viable replacement for you in the team is a rookie.

KingHotspur likes this.
  10. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

So many managers and chairmen.

11. Rubbersoul

Every team needs new players when the transfer market comes up. Obviously the player needs to improve the team but surely a RB is needed even if it's back up for Trippier?

12. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

No one's denying that we need signings. The issue for us is that we also need quite a lot of money. Our wage bill is going to need to go up at least £20mill over the next season or two to keep our stars and that can't be reliant on us staying in the CL, or funded by selling players, otherwise we'll end up where other clubs that tried to break the top 4 ended up. When you appreciate that, suddenly the potential to say "lets just throw another £5mill" in and get it done, as everyone else is doing, looks like a bad idea.

It's a **** situation for us but clubs spending money always look better than they are until their new signings actually start playing. I'll wait to see what our early results are until I start before I get too annoyed over it. If at the end of the month we've taken 6/7 points and get the players we need in then there's not too much to complain about imo.

Your defence has been a problem for ages, yet you've only signed a raw, left back from Hull and sold your only defensive midfielder. You guys don't seem to be panicking either. Have a bad start to the season and I'm sure you'll feel differently about it, I don't think it's a situation exclusive to us.

13. Rubbersoul

If you've read our transfer thread you see people are ****ting themselves over Coutinho leaving <laugh>

I think we will be fine if we sell no one else. Obviously excluding Sakho and Markovic who look set to leave. I would like more signings but doesn't every team?

14. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

What has happened to all the millions from the CL? Are we broke? Or has/is the money gone on the new stadium?

15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

It's the millions from the January sales of Carroll and Bentaleb that perplex me. Where'd they go?

16. Rubbersoul

In the new stadium?

17. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

New contracts for the whole squad, who now all want new contracts.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  18. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Keep this up and they will have to pay the fans to turn up!