1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What would you give for a good winger?

Discussion in 'Sheffield United' started by TrevorHockeysRazor, Jan 26, 2011.

1. TrevorHockeysRazor

TrevorHockeysRazor New Member

Blades have had some terrific wingers down the years. None better of course than Alan Woodward. But remember Colin Morris as well? Used to love watching him play - especially when he was twisting and turning defenders inside out.

Some of you may remember jinking Jimmy Johnstone? We got him too late of course - at the end of his career when he was spending more time twisting the screw top of a whisky bottle rather than opposition defenders - but in his day he was a special player.

How about Stewart Scullion? Anyone remember him? He used to go at walking pace down the wing - a frustrating player - brilliant on his day though.

And Steve Wigley? Electric pace - just inconsistent. A bit like Franz Carr - another ex-Forest winger that made it to Brammal lane.

Then there was Tony Towner as well.

Would you call Geoff Salmons a winger? I'm not sure I would - but I have fond memories of him flying down the flanks as well.

And would you call Tony Agana a winger? Again, I'm not sure I would - but he did a lot of damage when he was skipping down the wing to cross the ball for Deano.

I don't know if wingers are out of fashion, but we don't seem to have had any decent wingers down there for years. Most of the names I mention here are from yonks ago.

We had that blond haired kid that Robson signed - he made his debut in the derby at Hillsboro a few years ago. I've forgotten his name but he looked good in flashes. Don't know what happened to him - think he went to Forest? Anyway - he wasn't that good.

The nearest thing we have in that team now is Yeates. On his day Yeates can be inspirational - but boy is he inconsistent. I don't think he's had a good game now for about 2 months (I appreciate he's been injured).

In my opinion a good, fast, tricky winger can win games. They can cause absolute havoc to defences. Defenders can't live with a winger who has the ability to beat them for pace and to twist and turn them inside out.

So, my question then is this...

Does anyone know where we can get one? A good one that is?

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If rumours are to be believed, Bennett from Brighton is on his way to Norwich, and if that happens you're more than welcome to Anthony McNamee. Decent player, but if Bennett is all he's cracked up to be, McNamee will be surplus to requirements at Carrow Road.
    By they way, unlucky at the weekend, I was at the game, and for the majority of the game we didn't deserve 3 points. I hope you stay up, fingers crossed we can help with that by thrashing Crystal Palace this weekend.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

3. TrevorHockeysRazor

TrevorHockeysRazor New Member

McNamee? Was he the bloke in the Avengers with the bowler hat? Nope, don't fancy him.

Actually, I remember McNamee as I was at Carrow Road last month when you and the ref beat us 4-2. He looked decent actually - nippy winger. But, if he was any good why would you be signing this bloke Bennett?

I think wingers have gone out of fashion - pity because they can really open up a game.

Anyway - Cheers mate and good luck to you too! We're having an unexpected nightmare of a season - but we should have expected it! No money spent on the team - policy of selling off anyone half decent - not surprising really.

4. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest, I've no idea why we want Bennett -apart from the fact that he's supposed to be the dogs bollocks (Yay-no mods) in League 1, 20+ assists and a handful of goals. I have to agree with you about wingers, when we've struggled this season, McNamee has come on in some games and really given us another dimension, and of course Huckerby a few years ago for Norwich was our main attacking outlet. Maybe its because wingers don't always seem to contribute defensively as much as other midfield players?

Good luck, I'm at uni in Sheffield, so it'd be nice to see them do well. Besides, when our promotion campaign grinds to a halt, I'd like to be able to see Norwich somewhere nearby next season!

5. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

We're ****ting out good wingers. Gradel, Snodgrass, Watt, White, Somma, Sam, Nunez, McCormack. Pretty nice to be spoilt for choice really up in the playoff places.

6. Blazer

Blazer New Member

Yes it would be nice to see a flying winger there isn't a better sight on a football field.But from what I have seen so far suggests that adams will be more intent on destroying than creating he will keep things tight not play wide open flowing football. Don't get me wrong I quite like what I see and a win would be nice.
    If he does change his mind and plays with two wide men i'd like to see Bale down one side and Ronaldo on the other, oh and while we are splashing the cash get Jags back!!!!