1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What to do with Soldado?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Moorpheus19, Dec 11, 2014.

?

What to do with Soldado?

1. Stick with him

2. Keep him but put him up for loan

3. Sell if the price is right

4. Sell regardless of price

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

After yet another game goes by where he gets into positions and has good opportunities without delivering, I think myself and many others are either questioning what we do with him now, or have been questioning him for a while.

On the one hand he does get himself into those positions but there's just never an end product. It's like he left his finishing boots in Spain.

I'm not sure he's going to cut it with us and suddenly start finishing the chances he's presented with. However, we paid a lot of money for him and we'd surely have to take a hit on the price we sell him for (something this club has a history of not entertaining).

So - what do we do?

2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'd suggest sending him home, but he'd probably get lost...

3. Moorpheus19

Moorpheus19 Well-Known Member

I've added a poll (60% of the time it makes threads better everytime)

4. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Use the other half of that Ryanair economy class return ticket we have left and send him back. Lost cause.

5. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

....or a £20mil BOGOF. Soldado & Lamela?....

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

sing his name and pray he scores...there's **** all else to do as he will be with us until at least the summer transfer window

7. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

I think he's a very decent player. But it is just not working. At first he wasn't getting chances so when he missed them you thought "fair enough" but he really his finishing has been poor the whole time he's been with us, which is getting on for a season and a half now.

IF we can get a decent price and a decent replacement then I'd sell. Though he'd have that in common with almost our entire squad. And when I say "decent price" I think getting back what we paid for pretty much all our players would be a very "decent price".

I would absolutely want to keep Lloris, Vorm, Walker, Vertonghen, Bentaleb, Mason, Stambouli, Lennon, Eriksen and Kane. The rest I would probably sell if we were offered what we'd paid for them.* And really only Eriksen out of that lot really stands out. Without him we offer nothing.

*(In an ideal world where we didn't have to worry about cohesion and players' familiarity with each other etc).

8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

So four people would sell him for nothing.

I'm really glad you are not in charge of the club. We'd be bankrupt in no time.

It looks for sure that we overpaid for him, but he is clearly a good player. Even if he never scored again he'd be better than Darren Bent because at least he brings others into the game.

9. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

In a way that should always be true of a player over 25 years old as their value usually goes down. Perhaps I am taking you too literally, but surely you don't think we should get rid of Rose for £1m, Townsend on a free, or Dier or Davies or Stambouli within six months? I don't think we'd find anyone better than Chadli, Capoue or Chiriches for the price we paid either. The real problems are Paulinho, Soldado and Lamela. We'd never get what we paid for the first two and selling Lamela would be a massive risk as he could easily turn into a world class player. Kaboul, Naughton, Dembele, Ade and Fazio are all tricky. I can see the point of all of them but they underperform their talent consistently.

10. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

Paulinho and Soldado should be sold. We need to take the hit, they both look lost and it can't be helping the rest of the squad.
    The mystery surrounding Ade also makes me wonder whether he needs to be shipped out too.

The biggest problem with seem to have is morale/motivation/work ethic/leaders. Any player that is negatively impacting any of those in any way needs to be moved on asap so we can fix what seems to be a bit of a toxic dressing room*

*that's certainly how it seems to me.

11. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

He's 30 just when the season ends. What's the going rate for a 30 year old striker after two poor seasons in the PL?

This is the problem. Realistically, Spurs will make a £15M loss and have to find another £15M to replace him with a striker who can score goals in the PL. The cheaper option is to persevere and hope he finds the form he showed at Valencia.

12. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I think we actually paid £13m up front with the rest in add-ons (which i assume none of which have been triggered). To make a £15m loss would be impressive

13. lennypops

lennypops Well-Known Member

Wasn't meaning academy players cos of course Townsend (eg) is worth more than zero. Did I not include Rose? Meant to. But mainly cos his fee was so low. A low fee for Dier will also probably look like good business in 3-4 years' time. Stambouli was one I mentioned keeping. Fazio must have something about him to have been Seville captain and to have created such anger there by his leaving. But so far (though I'm not offering a final judgement on him) he looks like we have yet anothe CB that we paid 8-10m or so for and looks ropey. How much was Ciriches? 6? 7? Was his contract running down?

Thing is that when you look at our defence you're not left with the feeling that we got a good deal on any of them. In three years' time will I be saying "You know that Ciriches only cost 7m?". Doubt it.

Chadli comes close purely for the relatively low fee. But again a player who's basically not good enough for, what was it? 7ish again? All he's offered is the odd goal and some aerial presence which is never used. Well I thought we were right to let both Dempsey and Sigurdsson go and their version of not doing much besides scoring a bit was much better.

Capoue for 10m or so was it? You know it's just a fairly chunky fee for an okay player. It's never gonna look a bargain. It might, in time, look okay. But I'm sure most teams in Europe manage to buy defensive midfielders who aren't guaranteed starters for less than 10m.

14. The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor Well-Known Member

The team is the most important thing in the club and not the money and as he's not delivering then we take the loss. How do we know he won't be the same next season? He's cost us a lot of points so it's goodbye. I've been his greatest supporter but now I've lost it.

15. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Not much we can do about him at the moment. I certainly wouldn't start him this weekend so he's got Newcastle in the Capital One Cup and any substitute appearances he can get to prove he can still score. If he doesn't do that then in January we have to loan him out or sell him it's more detrimental to us and him to keep him as a bit part player that can't be relied upon. Yes it would be a big loss financially but all we'd be doing by keeping him is delaying the moment that loss hits us, like we did with Bentley.

I really like the guy and would love nothing more than him to prove me wrong but we can't continue with just one striker that looks dangerous.

16. littleDinosaurLuke

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. £26M was his release clause fee. It might not have all been paid at once, but it would be surprising if it wasn't all due.

17. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

18. littleDinosaurLuke

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that any clauses would be based around achieving set targets re appearances, goals scored, etc. if that's the case, then I'm thinking very little extra is going to be due.

20. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Our misfiring Bentley was clearly kept for accounting purposes. The club probably amortised his fee over the length of the contract, so that he was at a book cost of zero when the contract was up.