1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What to do now.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Charley Farley, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

It’s the playoffs.
    It doesn’t matter who we play or where we finish in the 3-6 positions.
    Portsmouth might tire their players out trying for automatic promotion.

The first thing to do is to rest McGeady.
    Probably Grigg as well as he’s also got an injury problem.
    Anyone else who needs a rest should not be in the squad for the last games.

McGuire should be given 45 minutes then 75 minutes to get him up to speed for the playoffs.

We should use the games to get a proper defence partnership sorted.

Get Matthews at RB
    Try Onion in midfield.
    Get fringe players like Hume, Mumba and Kimpioka up to speed in case we need them.

Decide on which midfield works best and work on it.

These remaining games are meaningless and should be used to sort our problems out.

Work on Mac’s kick outs so that they don’t keep going out for throw ins.

There’s more to do (throw ins, free kicks and corners for example) but sorting the defence and resting injured/knackered players is a must.

2. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

Agree with that - the other thing that I would do is play Ruiter against Fleetwood just in case we need him at some stage of the play offs. Play big John for the Southend game to keep him up to speed.

Hefty fullback likes this.
  3. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Not sure. Momentum is pretty important and if you end up playing a changed/ rested side who have only won one of their last five/six games against an in form Charlton side I'm not convinced you're well placed. If one or two players need a rest then so be it but A) momentum matters B)changing the team can do as much harm as good C) I reckon finishing third is an advantage as Doncaster are much weaker.

4. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Get ready for League 1 next season!!

We are not good enough!!

Bart

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  5. makemdan

makemdan Well-Known Member

Agree we should rest players carrying injuries, not sure about others. Still think we have a responsibility to put a decent team out if we could affect the relegation/play off situation for other teams. Not despondant, even if we don't win the play offs cos the club is in a far better place than when we were in the premier league. We've achieved a lot this season and the foundations have been laid for future success...the glass is half full

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd rest anyone with an injury of any description and pick the best team otherwise. Best to head into the playoffs with some momentum, don't see why Mumba etc shouldn't get a run out though we've got some good youngsters.

We might be turning to them next season so give them some experience.

Dorset and The Norton Cat like this.
  7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I would like us to finish above Charlton so we have the 2nd leg at home so win at Fleetwood, but yes rest Mcgeady, O Nien, Grigg, Charlie and bring Kimp, Sterling, Ruiter in, we might catch Pompey but unlikely and they might catch Barnsley/Luton yet.

8. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Start practicing penalty kicks.

Gil T Azell, RTB, Nacho and 4 others like this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

@charliewyke

10. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

It seems obvious to me that we'll finish fourth (or possibly even fifth) . . . . either way we will be playing Charlton over two legs, so we need to prepare to beat them, then play, and beat, Bigmouths at Wembley again. I just hope that (obviously as long as we do our part) Doncaster play 'out of their skins' over two legs against Portsgob so that we play, and comfortably beat, Donny in the final :emoticon-0105-wink:

It does sound easy enough, doesn't it :emoticon-0100-smile

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I agree we need to have the first team starters fit, Wyke, Grigg, Maguire, Mcgeady etc. The problem I reckon we have is really we only have a decent 1st team of about 13 or 14 players and a couple of injuries knocks us, especially with fixture congestion .

If we do not succeed in the play offs I would make sure we play the kids in the tinpot cup next season.

12. kirklees mackem

kirklees mackem Well-Known Member

We need to stop sending most of our goal kicks and throw ins to Charlie Wyke, the opposition always know where they're going and he rarely wins them. For such a big bloke, he gets knocked over too easily.

13. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

I agree with resting all the players carrying knocks and anyone else who needs it. I also think anyone who might play a part in the play-offs, and needs to shake off some rust, needs to get playing time.

Whoever gets selected, there is much yet to be decided. Beating Fleetwood places us at home for the second fixture against Charleton. If that is what we really want; will our players fancy taking a PK in front of 40k expectant fans, or be more comfortable taking it away from home?

And if we beat Fleetwood and Pompey drops points against Peterborough, then a win at Southend might see us third.

And what about relegation ? There are four teams rightly expecting us not to lose to Southend. What responsibility do we have there?

table.PNG

Argyle and Scunthorpe play each other. The winner should rightly expect to stay up, but that result will be meaningless if we lose to Southend.

cumbrianmackem and haslam like this.
  14. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

If Carlsberg did posts.

Gordon Armstrong likes this.