1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What happened to Sterling?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Klopp's Mannschaft, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Was it the new contract?
    Was it all the crap in the media about his personal life?
    Arrogance?

Whatever it was, Sterling has regressed a great deal since he burst on to the scene two years ago. Doesn't seem to have the pace now, often afraid to take a man on down the outside, awful close control and poor decision making. Those were all things he was doing well!

On potential replacements for Sturridge, Rodgers added: "Raheem Sterling is a terrific player and Victor Moses is very talented. They are both hungry to do well."
    That was only yesterday Rodgers was signing his praises...neither have really shown anything recently - least of all a hunger.

In terms of replacements for Sturridge, who else do we have?

2. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Nobody. I think Sterling believed his own hype after bribing us into giving him higher wages.

3. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He's just not that good. He was over hyped after a couple of decent cameos

4. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

over reaction, the kid is still a kid after all.

5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Needs games in a less pressurised environment. He comes in for one game, doesn't shine then doesn't play for for 4 weeks.

A loan deal is best for everyone

6. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

I guess we have to give Aspas another try. Not like we're spoilt for choices

7. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

This really. Same as Zaha and few other English youngsters. Sterling is useless, I would be surprised if he could cement a place in a championship team.

8. Klopp's Mannschaft

I've always thought of Ibe as the better prospect and never went OTT with the Sterling hype, especially when he got his England cameo...but he's still got some raw ability and the potential to be a useful player. If he's at the club, he should be good enough to be in the team. He's not, so why isn't he out on loan?

9. He's not been great but he's still only 18, he turns 19 next Sunday. Give the lad a chance!!!

10. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

I rate Ibe higher as well.

I think the initial excitement with Sterling was because he was so young. That's subsided and we're left with reality. A kid with a bit of skill and pace but not enough game time against proper defenders who all have pace as well as strength these days.

He needs out on loan to gain the craftsmanship to go with his natural abilities. He might (I hope) prove me wrong but he's not at the level we need our squad players to be. At least no if we want to be top four right now.

11. Klopp's Mannschaft

He's been poor for a whole year now, it's not knee jerking or not giving him a chance; it's him not taking his chances. He needs to stop getting game time ahead of others in the squad, go out on loan and get game time elsewhere. He also needs BR to get him back on track if he stays, either confidence or harsh words on his personal life.

12. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Sadly true. Shades of Danny Cadematri, Tobes?

13. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Agree with some that Ibe is the better prospect. I have been saying this kid needs a loan somewhere where he will play and try to not just get his confidence up, but his development. If not, he is just another of the many fast/rapid/one foot/soft wingers in a long line of players who shot on the seen but never really lived up to it.

14. Magic Ted

Magic Ted Talulah

Man I wish we had Suso at the moment..

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Took the words from my mouth. We were craving a player like him. We always need players like him against teams like Hull. Luckily he is doing really well with Almeria and progressing, hopefully he can come back and do the same next year.

16. moreinjuredthanowen

hang on lads suso played plenty last year and was subbed off plenty having lashed poor shots wide or whatever. his loan is vital to him and he's off doing well but at a lower level than this IMO... bottom half in la liga...

ibe.. one showing at end of year and he's saviour... no.

same as sterling, needs gentle introductions and instruction plus some games too but this is now not the time for him to be mollycoddled. again a loan would have been good.

as for aspas... muck on a stick lads. we needed fight today and we didn't get it.

17. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Would love Suso right now but recognize ( as i put) that he needs this development and am saying Sterling should too.

Ibe needs a loan too but I rate him higher than Sterling.

18. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

No one suggested Ibe was a saviour M, purely my opinion that I think he'll turn out better than Sterling. Whether that 'better' is good enough only time will tell.

19. Klopp's Mannschaft

Ibe's no savior, but he's a better option to have at the moment.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

honestly... i think you are right. sterling = SWP, ibe has a chance of being better than that by virtue of physicality.... both have reached a point where no more development is possible in our set up unless they are played and neither is good enough yet.