1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What do you think of it so far?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I said a few days ago on here that realistically we're team a team of decent Championship players playing in the wrong league. There's no question we earned the right to be here, but that doesn't mean we have a right to stay here. Enjoy it while you can may be a way to look at it, but I don't get a lot of enjoyment from seeing my side getting stuffed and the management just telling us how good the opposition was.

In the absence of real quality (expensive!) imports, it'll take something other than the "more of the same" approach to have a chance of troubling a lot of these teams. I've agreed that any points at all picked up from the dozen games against the top 6 clubs would just be a bonus, but I don't like the way we seem to accept it as inevitable.

The implications are that we'll be alright against the lesser sides but I wonder. Burnely easier game? - don't believe it. They will be different from our last two adversaries, but just as difficult to beat for different reasons. Got a feeling that relying on these "easier games" is just excusing our lack of class players to compete, and whats more, an apparent lack of tactical nous as to how to upset those teams that do have them.

ninian opinion likes this.
  2. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Not enjoying it at the moment, our side is not as good as our last foray into the PL. our last three games have tested us big time, and as said earlier, hope Etheridge is keeping his chin up and learning lessons, that will make him a great keeper! Agree that Burnley will be difficult! :emoticon-0103-cool:

3. Paulpowersleftfoot

Paulpowersleftfoot Well-Known Member

I think the general quality of the PL has really improved since Cardiff came up last time and the difference I felt between the last time you came up and this was a far more cohesive team working their socks off for one another and a general belief that they can get something against a team that I just felt was a little half hearted yesterday if I’m honest

There’s not much between Cardiff & Wolves personnel wise but the attitude and application from Wolves is a million miles from Cardiff
    Don’t think Warnock in charge does you any favours in this league,ok in one off cup games when the opposition have half a team of regulars out and the playing field levels but not for the bread & butter league games where they all need to be at it from minute one

I do hope you turn it around but I suspect a long season in the offing sadly

4. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

Cup games are a real issue for me....piss me off! Nominal entry fee, second team and empty terraces....= early exit! Why don’t they include the first two rounds of the two cups in every season ticket, as most fans would probably go? Field a first team and give it all they’ve got, because saving your best players, doesn’t seem to be working! :emoticon-0103-cool:

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Spot on PPLF - there's no doubt that relatively speaking, the team that Malky took up were far more capable of getting a result against the top clubs.

At the moment the gulf in class is overwhelming and to be honest, embarrassing. Despite the official line, we are getting a battering. OK, our last couple of opponents you and Chelsea are top clubs, but we're not even close to giving you a game.

We await the so called "weaker" teams with much vaunted belief that we can achieve something, but it would need to be a huge leap to turn around our recent performances.

6. Statto

Statto Active Member

I agree whole heartedly about the side seeming to accept the inevitable against the big boys and the message from the manager after the games hasn't sounded much different. I do feel that over the last 3 games this acceptance grew and to be fair I think we all enjoyed the Arsenal game if not the end result. I guess Chelsea and then Man City were further steps up in class. Before the season began I was 100% of the belief the manager should stay the whole season and what will be will be. I still think that should be the case and if we go back down we do so stronger. Then there is this little nagging voice in my mind that says its so hard to get up here we at least should do everything in our power to stay here for a bit!

suprimir and Oldsparkey like this.
  7. suprimir

suprimir Active Member

At the start of the season it seemed obvious that the signings we had made meant that the club had decided to try to finish 17th and save cash. At the time the decision was made, I think the club and maybe even Warnock overestimated the ability of our own players and underestimated the level of the PL.

Like Statto I feel Warnock is safe for a pretty long time for two reasons. The owner likes him, and we don't have a realistic option to replace him around Christmas time even if we needed to. With the squad we have, I doubt we could attract a Big Sam, for example, as he would know that it would be pointless. We won't spend big in January and any good player won't come anyway.

Like it or not, we need to remember if we are 17th at the end, this group of players overachieved.

8. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I think Colin will have managed tans expectation right down.
    He'll have told him to expect relegation.
    We've strengthened the squad from last season and banked a decent amount of cash.
    Next season in the championship we'll be more competative without the spectre of FFP.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

As daft as it might seem, the Championship could be the actual target for next season. We could cling on by our fingernails as whipping boys and face the same dilemma next summer - spend big or go through that again.

Whilst staying up would guarantee another bumper paypacket for the club and justify Tan's/Warnock's modest approach this season, going down having had £100M and not blowing it all, then another £50M parachute money to spend in the Championship would put the club straight.

All that doesn't alter the fact that realistically, we're a Championship club with Championship players playing out of our depth at the moment.

suprimir and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  10. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

I think the psyche would be slightly different if we had beaten the Toons and Udders, however the fact of the matter is we didnt, if we lose to Burnley next week i think our fickle crowd will start to turn and the gates plummet. It was hard to swallow on Saturday, especially up where i sit and had to listen to so called Cardiff fans purring away at what a wonderful side Man City are, plus another one who i got a bit annoyed to over hear him talking to his mate 'Shall we go down to the Ninian Park for a pint after the match' Plastics in abundance. Anyway Monday morning gripe over with.

suprimir likes this.

11. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I'd settle for that.

As a non attendee (though should be at Gooderson in Nov) I can see why paying fans would want / expect more. The prudent approach could see us set fair for the foreseeable future. Being a yo-yo club for a few seasons wouldn't harm in my view.

12. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

The season has gone pretty much as I expected from a results point of view. On the field it has be one of disappointment. Playing against the 10 men of Huddersfield and Newcastle for around 30 minutes each game should have seen us with two wins under our belts.
    NW did very little to change our style of play after both dismissals. Huddersfield in particular could have gotten all 3 points.
    The first 3 games was like watching championship games, more effort and little flair.
    The game against Arsenal was petty awesome for the neutral and we played a much more adventurous game, albeit still losing. However, I think the lads did well and we weren't outclassed.
    Chelsea and Man City are top tier clubs and have mouth-watering squads and their superior skill and class will ultimately see them win more than lose.
    Our passing game seemed more in evidence against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Many City. There were still too many unforced errors and some poor passing, but I feel we need to retain possession more and try a more passing game, stop hoofing up-field in the hope the lone striker can hold it up and wait the arrival of the midfield.
    Danny Ward has been excellent (IMO) playing up front and seems more settled than big Ken. If we can get big Ken and Ward on the pitch together, I feel it would give us more options. unfortunately we need the midfield to be solid. I worry that Arter will pic up needless cards and we wont be able to experiment too much. We have nothing to lose given most of us knew we would be battling to stay in the premier league this season.
    For me the **** or bust option works, play a free flowing game and see how we go, let's try and play premier league football, not championship and we can regroup next season, if we get relegated.

DragonPhilljack and suprimir like this.
  13. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

it is was it is>>>>>>lets be honest here....the bottom half of prem is only good championship level teams playing in a division that's not on an even playing field financially so what does anyone expect......we unlike wolves and Fulham didn't take a gamble.......I hate gambling so im happy 2 take the money and fk off home 2 the lower division.

man city are one hell of a team and twas only 3-4 months ago they won the prem by record points total......so why would we be shocked at them super stars ripping our championship quality team apart.

whatever will be will be..........and I couldn't give 2 fks either way <ok>

14. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I felt deflated after Saturday once the reality of our situation sank in. I’m enjoying this season like a hole in the head. I can’t see it getting better with games at Liverpool & Spurs looming either side of two very difficult home fixtures. Fulham in particular probably can’t wait to show us how much better they are than us after a pre season cash spree.

I’ve said on another thread that in reality we have 23 games left to get 36/7 points if you accept the inevitable losses against the top 6.

Without a serious injection of quality players in January, this is the squad, already getting stretched with injuries, to play for the rest of the season. I cringe at the thought of Connelly having to come in to replace our already porous defence. What football are Kadeem Harris, Connelly and Damour playing to keep them tuned if needs be?

Plainly this squad is not good enough so unless something remarkable occurs the club will sink like a stone into the Championship.

Some say here this squad would do well at that level. Don’t take that for granted. It’s the hardest league to get out of.

All efforts should be made to stay in this present league. To work so hard to get here to just give it up due to a seeming lack of intent by the board would be bitterly disappointing.

I want to watch us play Man City again and see if the divide has been narrowed. I don’t want to have to see us play Wigan on a wet Tuesday night.

Sunday will tell us an awful lot.

15. aberdude

nowt better than a wigan trip on a wet Tuesday night dude................side by side with fellow purists and not a plastic in sight>>>>>>like I say nowt better.

I do get your gripe though ninian dude, if only we had a oil rich family 2 dish thy dirty money our way................saying that it could have been worse, the rich fks could have bought Swansea or Newport if the blindfold dart throw went in the bull

16. aberdude

we need some johnny cash 2 cheer us up>>>>:emoticon-0127-lipss

17. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I must admit I'm enjoying this season a lot more than last time.

Maybe because expectation is low, though I still think we will pick up points along the way.

18. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

I'm not enjoying the football season...but revel in our position in the level above the noisy neighbours!!! As has been said, we are generally out of our depth ..or at least down the deep end of the pool and need to struggle to keep afloat. Someone always says that we should check after the first ten games. That seems a good idea.
    Regardless, I think we should stick with NW as our best bet for now and if/when we get relegated.

19. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

No shocks really, Just as many predicted....

20. aberdude

People in glass houses dai....