1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What Do You Think Emery will do?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ToledoTrumpton, May 23, 2018.

1. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

OK - Please read the title carefully. This is NOT what you think should be done! We have been reading about that for the last 12 years. Let's be sensible and think about what Emery will do.

Emery wants the team to be a protagonist and dominate possession with an aggressive press. That is going to mean playing with a high defensive line to compress the field. Our defence has dropped back into a back-8 the recent past, so this is going to mean a big change, for defenders and midfielders alike.

So here is how I think the players will fare in the new system.

Goalkeepers - I think this is a real weak link of ours right now, you have got to think that Ospina makes a better sweeper behind a high offside trap than Cech though.

Bellerin - His pace covering behind an offside trap will be vital. He will be kept, but will play a little deeper under the new coach. If he makes it, he be made into a better defender and play wider and tighter on the wingers. I don't think he is as secure in his position as many might think. Might be sold to build a war-chest if a big offer comes in.

Mustafi - His speed as a CB and aggressive defending will make him a better fit with a higher line and a more proactive system. I think he will get the better of his critics.

Koscielney - He would/will be perfect in the new system. Needs to come back from injury, but his experience is sorely needed. He plays the offside trap high line very well.

Manny, Chambers and Holding - Chambers mobility and passing is going to be an asset. Holding I think might struggle for game time, but he is young and may thrive under a new manager. I can't see these three going anywhere.

Monreal - He might be moved on or converted to a CB, he is a competent player in every system, and a top pro, but he might be exposed for pace in a tighter pressing system. His real weakness is that he is very easy to beat one on one, and that might be a problem.

Kolasinac - I think he will do well under Emery. He is aggressive and presses very well. I think he will be having a celebration or two, hearing the new appointment.

Xhaka - Difficult to say. I cant help feeling that he Emery might want a more mobile defensive midfield, but his passing and aggression may get him an audition. Impossible to predict the outcome here. It will be interesting. I think generally though the news is bad for Xhaka.

Elneny - Might do very well under Emery, If he doesn't like Xhaka, difficult to imagine why he wouldn't like Elneny. This guy closes down and presses with the best of them. I'd say he is going nowhere. Could become a superstar under Emery.

Ramsey - Probably will be best suited of our midfield to Emery's system. The new system should suit him perfectly. Has already been mentioned by Emery and I have no doubts why. I bet he would like 2 Ramsey's if he could clone him.

Mihky - Should be fine. He will suit the new system fine. Needs to work on his fitness. he can't fade halfway through the second half every game like he did this season. It may be better now the rest of the team will be pressing with him.

Wilshere - His pressing is woeful, he is lightweight, tracks back poorly, and I just can't see a future for him under Emery. I'd be surprised if he signs a new contract now.

Ozil - People say he will hate the pressing but he is pretty good at pressing up the pitch, it is tracking all the way back, he struggles with. I cant see Emery turning his back on Ozil. He may be a challenge, but there is too much potential upside in Ozil to discard him.

Lacazette and Aubamayang - No need to change these two. If it aint broken don't fix it. There are enough problems in the team, no need to create more.

Welbeck and Iwobi - Both very weak at pressing and not particularly speedy. I think they may be facing a test in pre-season. Neither are good enough at any one thing to really merit their downside. Iwobi may get time because he is still young.

All the other young players - Maitland-Niles, Nelson and so on, well places are up for grabs particularly in midfield.

I think Emery will try to buy a couple of midfielders and maybe a goalkeeper. Don't be surprised if he buys a DM late after giving Xhaka and or Maitland-Niles a chance. He may buy also buy a very attacking midfielder or a couple of full-backs and go with what he has in midfield to bewilder the pundits and set the angry fans off (like Pep did at City).

If he signed no one this is the team I think he would start the season with (assuming Kos is still injured).

Ospina
    Bellerin-Mustafi-Chambers-Kolasinac
    Elneny-Ramsey-M-Niles
    Mihky-Aubamayang-Ozil

I expect at least one player to surprise us all (positively) under Emery. The most likely candidates IMO are Ozil, Ramsey, Elneny and Mustafi.

So that is my take (hope I didn't miss anyone obvious) - what do you think?

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Mustafi and Koscielny doesn't work as a first choice pairing and I don't think that will change under any manager, they both get pushed off the ball far too easily. Needs to be one or the other imo

gooner4ever likes this.
  3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Mustafi and Koscielny is the worst pairing since
    God I hope not. That 11 is not going to get us anywhere. I would love to see us sign Koulibaly and Kondogbia but the German press seem to think Socratis, Leno and Seri are all on the way to Arsenal.

Cech over Ospina - but there's a strong Chance Minislat will bring Leno in. I'm certain we will sign at least 1 Centre Back and possibly a Central Midfielder. I think we will probably keep Lucas Perez and I wouldn't be surprised if Wellbeck gets sold.

-------------------------------Leno--------------------------------------
    Bellerin-------Socratis-------------Koscielny---------Kolasinac
    --------------Seri----------Xhaka----------Ramsey------------------
    -----------Ozil----------Aubamayang---------Mkhitarian----------

Bench: Perez, Lacazette, Wilshere, Maitand-Niles, Mustafi, Monreal, Cech.

I agree with you about Ramsey - I think he could be the player who benefits most from the new system. He needs to be given a definite role in the side.

But I also think Xhaka could be the player to make big improvements. He's not found his role at Arsenal yet but he has loads of ability.

Rumours are Emery wants to give Wilshere a 3 year deal. And I hope he does.

Diego likes this.
  4. ToledoTrumpton

Bear, Seri doesn't seem like he would be your type, he is a weak tackler and only 5ft 6in tall, about 150lbs. You sure about him? Seems a bit Wilshere like to me.

And I don't think Sokratis is that good a deal either, the guy is 30 in 10 days.

BobbyD likes this.
  5. TheBear

I'm not playing fantasy football.

Those are the players I think we WILL sign.
    Although I like him alot he's a quality player. (reminds me of Carzorla in alot of ways) I do think we need to sign a proper sized centreback though and a genuine Defensive midfielder.

6. ToledoTrumpton

I think it is a bit early, I know Emery is just the coach, but I suspect we are just scouting out who is going to be offered to Emery at this point. It is silly season with transfer rumors right now.

Actually you do raise a good point, but to cheer you up, if you look at the defensive mids Emery has bought in his career recently, they have all been bigish - Nzonzi, Krychowiak, Romulo, Iborra.

So perhaps unlikely he would go with Seri?

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. TheBear

Iwobi is another one who has stagnated in the last two Seasons.

When he broke through into the side he was scoring goals, he was full of confidence and looked like a great prospect.

For whatever reason he hasn't progressed at all. Be interesting to see what happens with him over the next 12 months.

8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

He really wasn't.

Quilllogic likes this.
  9. EmirAleks

EmirAleks Well-Known Member

I would be happy if he signs Rabiot and some commanding experienced CD.
    But since Rabiot was complaining he was not given enough playing time under Emery, I doubt he wants to work with him again.
    I also believe we will play more defensive football against stronger teams.
    Xhaka has huge potential imho, he just needs a proper coaching.
    Another problem is lack of proper wingers. I am sure Emery appreciates the work Monreal and Bellerin were doing on the wings without any support from a fast winger capable to track back all the way. I think these two are excellent players made look weaker than they are because of our system. And I do understand why on earth should we sell Hector to build a war chest.
    I think players who could strive under Emery might be Xhaka, M-Niles, Mavropanos, Bellerin and maybe Chambers.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Some talk about us getting ousmane dembele on loan from Barca <yikes>

He’s been out favour at Barca and injured. Could be a good move for him under a new manager and new system and if we could do it with a clause to buy it could be an incredible scoop.

11. ToledoTrumpton

I really think we should be careful with reports this year. Silly season is going to be even sillier if that is possible. If I was Emery, I would be deep in Rosetta Stone English not worrying about transfers right now.

Maybe he has an opinion on what we need and don't need, but if money is at all tight, and we know it is, why would you spend any money until you have had a chance to work with players and see them first hand?

We may pick up a free transfer or two, maybe a young prospect, but I can't see us making any big moves until mid-July. And anyway The world cup is on, who knows what bargain may show themselves there, and any player playing in that isn't going to be negotiating.

No, it is time to switch off the press, relax with whatever cold drink you prefer and start working on your over-optimistic predictions for next year. Well, at least that is what I am doing.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  12. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Agreed it's going to be silly season this summer. I reckon we already have our targets and will have them in the bag fairly early. As much as I'd like Dembelle, it's unlikely considering his enormous price tag.

13. TheBear

You have to wonder what Ozils future will look like under Emery.

He likes the wide players and midfielders to constantly press when they dont have possession.

This doesn't suit Ozils style at all. I could see Ozil getting sold in January.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Doubt it.

Ozil was actually pretty good at tracking back last season. I think he'll work hard under Emery and press if he's asked to do so.

15. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

This will finally put to bed the question of Ozil being lazy or simply misunderstood. There won't be any hiding under Emerys rein.

TheBear likes this.
  16. TheBear

Tracking back and pressing are not the same thing at all.

To press you have to be actively trying to tackle your opponent should you catch them in possession.

17. ToledoTrumpton

Not really. Pressing was really developed as an alternative to tackling. And if you tackle you make it much easier to break out of the press. The key to good pressing is to close down and force a long pass.

Typically teams that press a lot make fewer tackles than teams that don't play a high press.

For example this year Juventus as a team made the lowest number of tackles per game in Serie A.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree with the first sentence, not so much the second. And yes Ozil doesn't so much press as he does track back when we're on the back foot. I'd like to see him and the front line press the oppo defence and force them into getting rid of the ball (which often turns over possession) <ok>