1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What do we think about Mounts situation??

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Buggered if I know what to think. He is obviously wanting ,and probable deserves parity with Reece James' payments, apparently James is now on 250 a week and Mount has been offered closer to 210.( poor bastard)
    Given the performances, that's more than fair to Mount, who has stalled and not been much good all season. Some of this is undoubtably because he's got the hump and isn't giving everything, but also worrying for him are all the options on players for his position.. Joao Felix is miles better so far, so Mount must be a bit edgy.
    So , if we get a decent fee , I think we should let him go. He's made the choice for us easy with his intransigence, now he has to wear that decision. In all honesty, I think he's been overhyped at Chelsea, he's got the energy and lots of talent but it hasn't led to regular goals or changing the output of games. That makes him a good player for sure, but unless he does a De Bruyne or a Salah, not one to pander to. Make him a fair offer, and leave it up to him.

2. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Keep him and get 500 games out of him for Chelsea. Team need homegrown leaders besides brilliant but injured RJ

3. Chelsea Pensioner

Only if he shows some form again when he gets a run, no point keeping him to sit on benches when we might get 20 mill or more in a sale, especially if he doesn't want to stay.

4. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think I’d try keep him too. Having said that, there is a notable difference when Felix plays rather than him. Mount offers a lot I just think he creates enough chances to play behind a striker. I like him on the wing, I thought him and Chilwell were a good partnership in that UCL run.

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

On one hand I don't think he deserves parity with Reece James, because RJ has proven himself to be World class and Mount hasn't.
    Mount has not progressed since his first season under Lampard at Chelsea. He has energy and a decent pass, but he is inconsistent, easily marked out of the game and goes anonymous WAY too often.
    So looking at it from that perspective, if we can get £40-50m for him, then I'd say flog him.

The only slight doubt I have is that he goes somewhere like Liverpool and becomes great.
    I dont see Mount pulling a Salah or De Bruyne, simply because those guys were never given much of a chance to prove their talent at Chelsea, where as Mount has had ample time. He has been a first XI starter week in and week out for 3 seasons.
    To think, when he first came on the scene, he was being compared to Foden....<laugh> now look at them, worlds apart mate. Foden has improved his game and Mount hasnt.

Overall I'd flog him, all he is doing is stopping us filling his position with a better player, because of what? Sentiment? Yeah its nice to see Academy players come good, but it equally cant be forced if it aint there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  6. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Mount was unbelievable in 2021 CL run

7. Chelsea Pensioner

I agree with what you are saying. It seems Mounts' drop in form is a combination of the mess the Club has been through, Tuchel being replaced by a so far unimpressive Potter ,and getting the hump because his wage demands aren't being met. In the end it is his decision to make whether he stays or goes, and the Clubs' right to decide what they think he's worth to the Team. It's down to him to force his way into the line up and prove us wrong.

Oh what irony it would be if Mount refuses to sign a new contract and leaves, while Declan Rice joins.
    May not happen but I know which one i'd rather have.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  8. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Mount has been burned out, poor for a while. But he is a proper Chelsea boy and one matchgoing fans can relate too. Important to keep players like these IMO.

All the best clubs do

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I don't get what's happening with Mount. Granted I don't watch when he plays enough to comment, but I did watch him a year or two back (was it first under Lampard?) and I thought he was a real talent.

In fact him and Smith-Rowe for Arsenal I thought were two players that were really going to emerge as regulars for clubs and country. Both seem to be stagnating and there are now better players who have come into the sides n they're not getting much of a look in.

10. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

Smith-Rowe got superseded by Odegaard then was out injured for a long time .

11. Chelsea Pensioner

I agree in principle, but Mount has been hanging back from a new contract for a hell of a long time and we now have new players, so his position is more difficult that it was. He was overused though, and after some time out of the team, let's hope he comes back better. Nevertheless he needs to be at his best to match the salary of Reece James, though he obviously deserves a really big increase.Time for both sides to sort this out if there is the will to do so.

12. CFC: Champs £launderx17

I read somewhere the length of the contract is the issue

13. Chelsea Pensioner

Not long enough ?? Or has he been offered one of those long term ones with a lower salary that many new players have signed ?? Who would know except him, his agent and the Club !!!
    I have'nt a clue but wish it was just sorted out.