1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What do we need?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not expecting miracle buys in January but I am expecting something. Having got to where we were before the Christmas fixtures, it looked like just more of the same would do, but since then the sense in following that approach has clearly fallen apart.

I can't understand the change in Mendez. He's gone into his shell and lacks the confidence that took him past and even straight through defenders. Feeney is not the answer out wide and Kadeem seems to be permanently injured - God help us if Hoilett gets crocked.

Up front Ward is a bigger loss that I thought but I've no doubt that a Zahore/Healey pairing will start to pay off if we can serve them - there is the crux of the matter. We are woefully short in midfield creativity. I thought Tomlin could provide the spark from just behind such a combo but he looks way off the pace despite his skills. His inclusion would leave us dreadfully exposed in the middle of the park defensively.

At the back we seem OK as long as we can do something with the ball when we've got it rather than lumping every time. God knows how many turnovers we've had against us due to that approach. To ensure we keep the ball and use it properly we need an overhaul in the middle third. Someone to collect the ball, put his foot on it and pick a pass. Whitts could do that and McPhail before him. Ralls is doing a great job harrying in midfield, but he can't do it all season on his own.

Serious money (if Tan provides it) should be directed to sort out this aspect - I'd be inclined to say blow the lot on it.

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Central midfield in the sense of (1) keeping possession and (2) creating by moving the ball forwards thereby playing to Zahore’s strength. There’s nobody who can collect the ball up and run in a straight line towards the opposition goal. It’s all so slow and sideways like under Slade. What’s happened to the pace and strength of NML and what’s happened to Hoilett? Bryson, Ralls & Damour are just busy bees with no creation or pace. Our match winners need a decent supply playing in the opposition half on the ground and not in the air.

Watching the PNE game in particular was harrowing seeing the ball just aimlessly punted up just to see it come straight back again. City just aren’t playing football just hoofball. They created more v QPR but lacked the killer final pass and/or finish.

Yes we can bemoan bad luck and wrong referee decisions but the root cause is an impotent midfield coupled with a tired and injured squad.

As an aside it is a concern to see so many goals conceded and in this regard the absence of Morrison is more than coincidental.

So an injection of pace and quality in central midfield should spark the likes of NML, Hoilett and Zahore plus it would be good to see Morrison, Harris and Gunnerrson back.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  3. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Centre mid.
    We're missing Bryson and Gunnar terribly. Gunnar is pretty much a write off imo, I guess he'll need 6 or so games to get match sharp for the world cup but there's no way he'll rush back. I'm sure poor Ralls could do with a rest but instead he's trying to hold it all together for us.
    Damour isn't a Championsip cm in a 2. He's a decent player and a good find but you need real grit and effort to hold a pair together.

O Keef would be used if he was in the current squad with the injuries we have. If we can't sign some quality I'd bring him back as cover for the bench.

I'm not sure its a lack of creativity more a lack of game control meaning our better players struggled to influence the game. Strengthen CM and I reckon our other problems will sort themselves. I'd like to see Kadeem back to give us some pace off the bench.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  4. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

I think we have missed Morro far more than we thought we would, it's a bit like Hudson will make the odd mistake but is the calming influence at the back and a good captain.

Agree with you all about a play maker in mid-field, problem is there are not many around for the type of money we have. I still thing Tolmin can do a job in the last half hour or so as Sparks said not fit enough.

The duo of Zahore and Healey does excite me if only we had someone to thread the ball through for them.

Still what do I know ? I'll leave it to the experts to sort it out.

5. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

We’ve been a shambles at the back since Morrison’s been injured.
    Don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone......

Didn’t mention him as we can’t replace him as such and I don’t think we should be looking at Cb’s. I 100% agree he’s a massive loss and we’re desperate for him to get fit again though.

6. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

A new young manager with fresh ideas........