1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

What’s in a price tag anyway?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Just offering up an different perspective here chaps but would you rather we had signed Sissoko and Carroll for £65m... or the 7 we did sign (remember Dubravka was only £4m).

In that basket of players there could easily be, with Rafa’s guidance one or two £20m players.

When he came, Lascelles market value was probably £5m tops.

Now it’s easily over £30m... thanks to Rafa.

Just saying...

GeordieHalfbreed and KazakhToon like this.
  2. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think we have done too badly with who we have got - point is we could have got more. Sure - if you shop in the bargain bins you are occasionally going to pick up a great deal but most of the players there are going to be ones' no-one else wants. Judging by the way the club is run I doubt we have an extensive scouting network so have to hope that these came from Rafa's contacts and might be hidden gems.

3. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

According to Sky News, Fatty is set to buy House of Fraser.

4. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Where does he play?

5. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

As I said elsewhere, the business we did was good but we should and could have added 3 first teamers.

magpie290761 likes this.
  6. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Fatty doesn't play anywhere!

7. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

I always said I'm not hung up on transfer fees. If we got Ronaldo for a £1 I wouldn't be moaning PROVIDED if there was money available that positions that needed addressing were addressed. As it is we are going into season without the number 10 we have needed for god knows how long. A full back injury away from Manquillo playing and we are hoping a striker steps up.
    Ashley can make as much profit as he likes, and good on him, as long as its not to the detriment of the team

magpie290761 likes this.
  8. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

DIsagree, think its like shoping at Poundland and expecting Waitrose quality products.

Think they have been bough as they are available at cheap prices with potential sell on value - weather that be Rafa's idea to reimburse his transfer kitty or Ashleys to pocket the profit who knows.

Ki, Schar, Fernandez - could all be worth a sizeable bit more than what we paid for them, Muto as well if he hits 15 goals this year and then Dubruvka who I genuinely feel is probably the best deal of the window when you looking at £65+71m for keepers - it'll be interesting to see their comparable stats at the end of the year.

But these aren't players (bar maybe Dubruvka) who are going to take us on to the next level. As someone mentioned - they were all involved in relegation scraps last year with the majority of them not winning that battle.

RobEllious likes this.
  9. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

I am not sure why some fans get hung up on transfer fees. As long as a player genuinely improves the squad and takes it a few steps forward i am happy.

I guess the recent discontent is the presumption that the players that we have signed are probably 3rd or 4th on Rafa's list and we are putting the cost of the player front and centre rather than going for guys that actually move is forward in a significant way. Especially when we have banked 20 million (regardless of deferred payments etc)

If the new squad members gell quickly we should have enough to finish bottom half but survive...................... exactly what Ashley wants.

Rafa will leave at the end of the season without a doubt and we will have let one of the best managers and coaches in the world slip through our fingers ............................ and only a tosser like Ashley could do that................ but again that will suit Ashley. Another season on the gravy train and the next manager will be a cheaper 'journeyman' and a 'yes man'.

Until the leach ****s off this will be our immediate future. HTL

10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Our first team is improved by Debravka, Kenedy and probably Muto and Schar. Our squad is improved by Fernandez, Rondon and Ki.

We probably have a better first team than last season and I'd say we definately have a better second eleven (though still very shaky). Also when people say they aren't improvements if we had them last year have people forgotten the first half of the season (pre Kenedy and Dubravka) and where we were...

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

So you are happy with the business done then? Couldn't have been in for better players considering the vast amount of money we undoubtedly have in the bank?

12. Squint Eye

Squint Eye Active Member

Interesting observation. You remind me of a bloke who used to play for us - funny thing is I can't remember his name - who complained that we had valued him too low for any decent takers to notice him.

13. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

For the money that was made available and for the transfers that were sanctioned we have done ok. Could and should there have been more money to spend ................... yes, without a doubt .................. but for whatever reason Ashley has restricted cash flow and also knocked back some potential signings by all accounts.

The business done does not necessarily make fans 'happy' but it is where we are with the owner that we have.

I would also rather have a little bit in the pot for January if things are going badly. Not saying we will have but potentially there will be money available to get us out of trouble if necessary.

14. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Yep, it's good business that helped. But we had the money to add two or three quality signings. No idea why we didn't.

What does everyone make of the joint statement from Jamaal, Rafa and...Charnley! Basically defending the Summer transfers. Weird, as those with a brain - and I'll reluctantly include the Not606 crowd in that - all say the same; yes, it was good business, but where did the extra £100m go?

I don't expect them to explain - hell, fat Mike's professing to "save" HoS and "hammer" Amazon, yet he's the only one who believes his own hyperbole. But to not even say something like "waiting to see" or "actively for sale" is just odd. It's like they really, really believe the best we could have done this Summer was to save £20m.

It's ****ing bizarre.

15. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Good business? No. If you mean economic business. Still no. He has put the future income of the business at risk ie PL money even though there is money there to actively protect that income stream.

Adequate business? Time will tell but for the same reason above probably not for me.

Good football business? Still no for the same reason above except read position instead of future income.

Adequate football business? No. In football you aim to win and not just survive.

The business done given the money available was simply pathetic.

General Lee Speaking likes this.