1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

West Indies tour of England 2012/Punk/Reggae/Reggae/Punk Thread

Discussion in 'International Cricket' started by stopmeandslapme, May 17, 2012.

1. stopmeandslapme

stopmeandslapme Well-Known Member

This thread is for the discussion of the West Indies 2012 tour of England and, as if that isn't exciting enough, it will also feature examples of a true merger of English and West Indian culture: Punk-Reggae or Reggae-Punk.

First Test, Lords, Day 1:
    England won the toss and chose to field. West Indies ended the day on 243-9, Chanderpaul (87 NO) as usual their most solid player. Anderson (2-59) took some early wickets then Broad (6-72) cleaned up the middle order and tail. Lords is often a low-scoring ground so that may not turn out to be too bad a performance by West Indies. Let's hope England don't take this opposition too lightly, they should be able to set a first innings lead if they play sensibly.

In the early days of punk, Don Letts was the DJ at The Roxy. Not many punk records had been made at that point so he played reggae records after the bands had finished. This influenced many punks to fuse punk with reggae, most notably the Clash who wrote original punk-reggae songs and also punked up a few reggae covers...
    [video=youtube;zyv16mZakVE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyv16mZakVE[/video]

2. stopmeandslapme

England's day. The West Indies innings finished off in just one ball. England now have a small first innings lead with just 3 wickets down, Strauss still in on 121, his first ton in 50 matches apparently.

Reggae influence on The Ruts was apparent in songs such as Babylon's Burning, they even released a pure Dub Reggae track in Give Youth A Chance:
    [video=youtube;ojQxadlfl-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojQxadlfl-w[/video]

3. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Steady stuff from the tans. Strauss playing well and captaining well too. Whatever about him returning to form, he has always been a good leader.

Over in 4 days.

4. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exactly right Rebel. Nobody seemed to mind that Brearley used to almost throw his wicket every time he went out to bat - he made the team gel and this is what Strauss does so well.

I'm going tomorrow so hope the weather holds. I can see us trying to build up a lead of around 250 and then go for the kill.

5. stopmeandslapme

England's cricket team is nicknamed "The Tans" is it? First I've heard of it.
    I expect it was "The Black And Tans" when Devon Malcolm was in the team...

6. stopmeandslapme

Today, at the start of play, probably all of us were wondering how long before England bowled out the Windies for an innings defeat or perhaps a small run chase. A fine partnership between Chanderpaul and Samuels plus contributions from Ramdin and Sammy put paid to that idea. A nervy run chase for England tomorrow needing another 180 odd with 2 wickets down albeit one of those was the nightwatchman Anderson.

Not all punk bands embraced reggae culture, the Cockney Rejects took the piss with their song Where The Hell Is Babylon:
    [video=youtube;t9vLAEZ6Qrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9vLAEZ6Qrk[/video]

7. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

Is Chanderpaul a selfish player?

You have to rate that performance. He's given the Windies a half a sniff.

England will still close it out, but he's some player.

Well done to Broad too. He's already as valuable as Flintoff ever was imo.

8. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

Good start by the bowlers today...

9. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

boom another wicket

10. stopmeandslapme

Looking like England will fill their boots tomorrow with Strauss on 106 and Pietersen 72 or thereabouts and the deficit 111 with 2 wickets down. Strauss is now only one century away from matching the England test century record of 22 held jointly by Boycott and a couple of others. I expect he'll surpass it and eventually Cook will surpass Strauss.

A punk/skinhead offshoot emerged known as Two Tone, political lyrics over a ska-punk beat:
    [video=youtube;6OGFIugDX8Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OGFIugDX8Q[/video]

11. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Windies are pathetic!! I can't believe how bad they are. As for England, it is laughable we call ourselves number one after losing four out of five winter Tests against two struggling nations. We are in for a rude awakening when SA get here. They dominated Pakistan's attack that caused us so much problems, their bowling is way better than this dross the Windies are dishing up. We have had a nice run against rubbish teams to get to number one, but I think we all know the real test is on its way. I for one won't be surprised if SA beat us, our players ate a bit too arrogant and not as great as they are made out to be.

12. stopmeandslapme

We did destroy India and Australia. I can't explain the showing against Pakistan, we even managed to lose games from positions where it didn't seem possible.
    As for this test, if you've got a ticket for the fourth day, I suggest you turn up early.

Meanwhile, in the USA, Bad Brains, a black punk band, played a mixture of reggae and hardcore punk, mostly the later:
    [video=youtube;RIDxErpTzvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDxErpTzvs[/video]

13. stopmeandslapme

Total wash-out today, may not get enough play in the next four days to get a result.

In the anarcho-punk scene, the Subhumans were the first* to incorporate a reggae rhythm into some of their songs. This might blow away the clouds - as someone commented "probably the best punky reggae song ever ":
    [video=youtube;oUwPadVvj9Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwPadVvj9Q[/video]

*Probably. On record anyway. To my knowledge.

14. Joesimpo90

Joesimpo90 Member

should i bother going today? whats the weather like in brum>?

15. Joesimpo90

Joesimpo90 Member

the correct answer was no

16. stopmeandslapme

Another washout. If there's to be any chance of a result in this match, they'll have to "do a Cronje".

After the Subhumans split, some members went on to form Culture Shock, a ska punk band. Their more upbeat style fitted in well on the Free Festival circuit:
    [video=youtube;4JA8niTMKVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JA8niTMKVU[/video]

17. davewcw

davewcw New Member

I'm really frustrated with this Test.... first time the first two days have been washed out since the 60s.

Would have loved the bowling shootout if it had came to fruition too. Great to see Onions so close to the England side again.

18. stopmeandslapme

England need a handful of runs to avoid the follow on so no chance of a result now, looks like today may be another washout too.

RDF were one of many anarcho-punk rooted dub-reggae bands that sprang up in the late 1980s:
    [video=youtube;x0VDAMv68D0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0VDAMv68D0[/video]

19. stopmeandslapme

That's the 50 over games decided, 2-0 with 1 to play, not even a contest despite WI getting back their star players from the IPL.

Maybe the T20 games will give us a fight?

20. Deleted 1

Deleted 1 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

T20 is not real cricket anyway so **** 'em.