1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

West Ham...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Currently doing a role in Ukraine, appears game is on Facebook so will have a watch.

Lets see if anything interesting / surpising happens.

Waghorn really does appear to be very likely to leave. ANOTHER game on the bench...... writing on the wall I'd say.

That said, VERY interested in how a CM of Nydam / Downes + Dozza does. Should show how ready any of them really are for a full season.

8/20 from the academy in the squad today, two ways of looking at that but pleasing non the less.

2. Westlake33

Okay as promised, did see 90 online, camera a bit........ but hey ho.

First off, the positives -
    * Footy on the deck. Think 95% of you on here would love what we tried to do today. Some good passing moves. Pretty much zero hoofs.
    * Dozzell / Nydam / Downes CM - 3 academy lads in CM! First half in particular, Nydam + Dozzell excellent. Downes hmmm but was a lot better after the break. Dozzell's ball for Harrison was class - speaking of which....
    * Harrison was superb. Such a big leap for a little lad, pace, a handful. Should do alright ! I think better all around than Garner....
    * Good energy.
    * Not afraid to get up in their faces. Playing our OWN way.

However, there were negatives.
    * CB, a SHAMBLES. Cannot defend how we did and not concede 1 / 2 a game. Serious work needed. You can play all the sexy stuff you want but if you're going to concede it's for nothing in my opinion. MUST sort.
    * Width. Sears AWFUL wide left, needs replacing. Edwards 50-50. Neither linked up especially well, a little HMMMM about us out wide.
    * Set piece defending. Bit of a general trend, but jesus all over the shop from these all afternoon. We will certainly concede from set pieces. Needs work.

Oh and Waghorn appears 99.9999% out the door now - unused sub. So we should have ££££ to spend.

Overall a very good workout and we did well. Hasn't remotely changed my opinion that we've got our work cut out, have to get more in. Not blinded by the brand of footy on display - and for the record I enjoyed watching it from an aesthetic point of view the most since.... the Jewell days. I was never a fan of the stuff Mick served up either but it served a purpose and I got it.

If we're going to do anything this season, CB needs sorting and it needs sorting now. Otherwise, we're bottom 7 material.

Big week, lets be avin u.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I watched the game in the posh seats in the Co Op stand, smack bam in the middle under the press box (all tickets a tenner, gotta take advantage) and I agree with most of that Westy.

Definitely a marked improvement in terms of playing style, pressing, and looking much more confident on the ball. I also thought Edwards looked menacing for the first hour, ran at opponents and a good first touch. Spence also linked up well with him.

Wolfy struggled first half but improved. Hoping the rumours of Tilt joining are true, need at least one in before Blackburn. Also agreed that Sears looked the weak link. Lots of energy and industry, but no end product.

Overall, difficult to take much from a pre season match, but I’m slightly more optimistic going into the new season than what I was before the West Ham match.

Westlake33 likes this.
  4. Westlake33

Edwards I found a difficult one to figure out. Occasional absolute piece of skill ( did one superb moment second half ) but got feet caught up a couple of times. Sometimes skipped past people for fun, othertimes seemed to have absolutely zero idea what he was doing! Very hot / cold performance.

Defensively at one point the West Ham LB literally jogged past Edwards/Spence which was alarming.

Chalobah I thought struggled with the tempo - but we were blowing by that point so I'll give him a free pass.

If we could add a new CB/ something wide left I'd be happier for Blackburn. Sears absolutely offered nothing of offensive ability the entire game.

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Another positive to mention was the quality of our pressing. If we are playing with a high tempo, pressing game over the course of the season, that’s to be applauded, but I do understand and sympathise with Hurst’s desire to bring more bodies in. Some of these players may need periods of rest to maintain fitness and performance levels.

A negative for me was that for all the nice passing and composure on the ball by the Dozzell, Nydam, and Downes triumvirate, they lacked the confidence to shoot and I think we almost seemed to “over play” the ball in dangerous areas.

On another note, over 15,000 for a pre season match! West Ham contributed around 4,000, but I doubt it would’ve brought that much this time last season. Not to mention, it’s only a 1,000 or so off some of our attendances last season!

6. Westlake33

Season ticket holders get it for free and West Ham brought a bucket tonne, so I wouldn't read too much into that but not a bad effort all the same. Reckon we'll get upwards of 19,000 for Blackburn - SURELY people will want to come out in force for Hurst's first game!?

Also, if you were a stay away under Mick - he's gone, please come back!

Pressing WAS good to see, issue I have with it is if the players aren't fully fit we'll be knackered with three in a week vs sides with far better quality than us.

Thought CM were very bright at trying to play - but already have a few visions in my head at us overplaying in stupid areas - ala the Villa 4-0 defeat late in the season - and letting in a few ridiculous goals.

We'll see though - Rome wasn't built in a day.

Need 4/5 signings this week or it's going to be hard I'd say with this lot / and also Huws back A S A P.

Would say Bishop but made of glass and appears Hurst's had enough of Adeyemi already so he appears on the scrap pile.