1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Ham vs Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Sep 19, 2021.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Lingard had a bad game on Tuesday. But honestly, I personally didn't hold it against him to somehow never play for the club again. It happens to the best of them. He scored a great goal last week too. He certainly has an eye for the goal (at both ends of the pitch haha).

2. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

JL shows he can be a match winner as well as a match loser <cool>

But we need to cut out these last minute concession of equalisers or losses or penalties. My heart can’t stand too much of these ****ing dramas.

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think it's evident Ronaldo (and Cavani) will be the difference between us getting 1 point or 3 against well organised defences who camp in their own half.

Lingard showed that when he's used as an attacking player rather than as a defender, he plays to his strength ;)

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget about De Gea as well. He’s been phenomenon so far this season. His body language is also far better and he appears to have renewed focus to be at his best. This is why I didn’t think that goal keeping was a problem for us in closed season. He’s still relatively young in goalie years.

I enjoyed the setup yesterday by the manager. I thought it was a balanced team against a well drilled West Ham side. The substitutions made also gave us another angle. And I’m glad McTominay is also back.

But absolutely yes!! Ronaldo will without a doubt be the difference for us this season. His drive is just fkin insane! You really can’t beat that! I was hesitant in celebration his return due to his age. But boy, was I wrong or what?!

5. Christiansmith

I was so happy that he’s back. No one could be certain that he’ll make the difference. But having him in the team albeit for a couple of years bring some stardust to the team and to United. Over the Fergie years, there always been that star player who made the difference. The Andy Cole, Cantona, Rvn, Keane, CR, Rooney and RVP and many others I could mention. The one player who could inspire the others.

whether he’ll bring us the title is still uncertain as some teams like Chelsea are looking very strong. West Ham is probably the strongest side we’ve met so far. With CR in the side we should improve our record against the big guns. I can’t wait.

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I watched the second half of Chelsea vs Spuds and the change in tactics by Tuchel. Bringing on Kante, giving him a free role in midfield and pushing up the full backs and then the way the chavs went about absolutely dismantling the spurs team. It was management to the highest standards. I don't really care much for the club, but Tuchel really is showing what a quality manager he is. He's one of the best in the world atm. I had to ask myself whether Ole would ever be capable of doing that.

I didn't know whether to do a new thread, but maybe it's needed because this question is getting asked more and more with Ole. Whether we like it or not, Klopp, Tuchel and Pep have more experience at the highest level and more often than not, it shows. Ole is seen at a level below and tactically I really don't know if he'll ever reach that standard.

7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I get it, I hear what you say and I read the papers too, but the fact remains that we are joint top. Early days of course, but in these important early stages of the season we are toe to toe rather than four or five points behind in 10th place. That doesn't happen by accident - the players have clearly signed up for what Ole wants and that, for me, is the most encouraging thing. Sometimes, having good results 'happen' is the result of the effort that goes into the coaching sessions away from prying eyes. Some managers/coaches strut their stuff on matchday (look at Allegri's meltdown the other night) others put in their shift on the training ground. I can't see the issue with our results at the moment but I'm happy to review that if we're down the table at Christmas. Right now I don't give a **** if we win pretty, if we win ugly or if we win boring - a win is a win. Once we reach the pretty stages of trophy competitions or the PL then bring on the tricks.

8. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

On a tactical level, if the way Ole managed the team this past weekend becomes the norm against teams such as West Ham, I’m confident he would earn that respect that other managers have. It is clear that the only reason why most pundits don’t see United as one of favourites because of the manager.

Tuchel is certainly the best from the list that you have mentioned, Treble. The reason? He came into a team that was underperforming mid season and completely transformed their fortunes. No excuse of not owning the team and waiting until he buys his own players (this btw is the dumbest excuse in my book). Now that he’s had a single summer, they are appearing to be formidable.

But let’s put it something in perspective (even I have to acknowledge this)… we have just gone through 29 games away from home undefeated! If Pep managed that, he would be glorified as a god. If it were Klopp, pundits would portray him as the all knowing being. If “lowly” Ole achieves it, it’s footnote moment that gets lost in history. Clearly Ole is doing something right. The problem has been believing in himself that he can really do it. Hence why we play very well against top teams in the past three seasons when there was no expectation, then we get complacent and afraid or just plain out of ideas against defensive teams. Home record last season also killed us. If Ole can start believing in himself and stop making stupid tactical decisions like taking off Ronaldo and Bruno when you’re losing, I’m confident that he can add finishing touches to his tactical awareness.

Obviously I’m going to be the first to call out the manager next week if he makes foolish decisions like playing the wrong team. But I’m hoping that we can cut those out this season and really turn it on with this brilliant team under Ole.

Treble likes this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That really bothered me at the time but the more i have thought about it the more i accept it. We should have enough to get out of that group without too much trouble but we will have to be on top form to keep up in the league. Saving players like Bruno and Ronaldo from possible injury at that time might just have been a good long game call.

glazerfodder likes this.
  10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Saving one, fine! But two of them? Absolutely doesn’t make sense. Bruno should have stayed on.

11. Christiansmith

Pundits are like lemmings. They all have a single viewpoint and they reinforce each other. Any one with a different view point is seen as a black sheep who could lose credibility amongst their peers.

When Ole turned round a critical situation, and stopped the club going over the cliff when he joined, did he get any credit? Of course his being a well regarded ex player helped but he deserved some credit as a manager from the pundits. If the majority of fans and the management and owners and players are happy to keep him, why are the pundits from the press and the media so exercised about him? The campaign against him is disgraceful. He gets pilloried whatever the outcome of matches. ESPN especially Craig Burley cannot have a mention of the team without castigating Ole and rubbishing him. It’s constant. “He doesn’t have the credentials to manage United and if it were another manager we would definitely win the league.” Whilst at the same time claiming that the midfield needing reinforcements.

All I ask for the likes of ESPN is some balance and fairness. We win it’s nothing to do with Ole and if we lose it’s 100% his fault.

cytrax likes this.
  12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Christian, why are you always watching ESPN? LMAO. You must be in the US or something. I’m in Toronto (most of the time when not down south) but I never subject myself to watching those clowns. I mostly use my IPTV to stream English channels for sports. ESPN is full of clueless idiots that always contradict themselves.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Good post.

I'm not happy about the formation tonight though. The team selection is generally ok'ish but the way he's set up the front 3 with Martial as the centre forward, probably Sancho on the left, looks wrong to me. I haven't seen the line up so I could be wrong, but I'd have played both on the wing with Sancho on the right.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

With Lingard at CF?

15. Christiansmith

I am in England. I just watch their YouTube clips. They have an ESPN channel but I don’t watch it.

cytrax likes this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

No, I'd have kept it as Greenwood. Cavani is still injured isn't he.

Diego likes this.
  17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yeah still injured but almost better.I would go with Greenwood too but thought you were just going off the named 11

cytrax likes this.
  18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The 11 is generally ok. It lacks pace in midfield which is a concern. I think Lingard in the 10 would've been ok. Appreciate that meant Mata being benched but he could've come on as a sub later on.

My main thing is I'd like to see Sancho right, Martial left.

Diego likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

1-0 to West Ham.

I said it right at the start of the transfer window and I'll keep saying it, we needed to buy a quality defensive midfielder <ok>

This will be our achilles heel this season.

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Btw there is absolutely nothing wrong with our attack tonight. Fair play to Ole, we look excellent going forward.

Dalot is so underrated.

Diego likes this.