1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion v Saints, 3pm Saturday 8th April

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Onionman, Apr 6, 2017.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Nah, drop him for Caceres

SaintinSerbia likes this.
  3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

<laugh> In all those Chinese Kung Fu movies I watched as a teenager, the Japanese were always the bad guys.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  4. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

To be fair, it's not hard to understand why.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Well I'm honest enough to admit to not liking the 'diamond' thingy at the start of the season. Always felt ok about Puel himself especially after I got used to his often soporific interviews, so much a contrast to his obvious passion on the touchline. It would be nice if we kept a manager for 3-4 seasons in a row so they get a chance to really develop the squad.

Qwerty likes this.
  6. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I thought it supposed to be different tribal factions of Chinese.? Let's face it, there are enough to go around.:)

7. Archers Road

All I really remember from those films is terrible dubbing, twenty handed punch ups, and someone exclaiming "Chines kung fu is better than Japanese karate".

8. TheSecondStain

Have to say it, but VVD's injury is like gold dust to Jack Stephens. He's definitely improved under the pressure of playing. I'm normally optimistic, but I didn't think Jack or Maya would deal with WBA's tall people quite so comfortably. Maybe it's the short, quick people that one needs to be more concerned about.

9. TheSecondStain

Ha.! <laugh>

That, and 'Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting', with Carl Douglas.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  10. Archers Road

"Those cats were fast as lightening..." <ok>

Saints_Alive likes this.

11. TheSecondStain

Apologies, but I can't resist. ;)

Turn off annotations. Turn up the volume. :)

12. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Good advice, pop the rest in the bank and with the interest you can put it towards a programme at one of the games

13. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

"Ah Glasshopper"....

Archers Road and TheSecondStain like this.
  14. TheSecondStain

Kung Fu - the serious stuff. :)
    I did like that TV series a lot until I realised that each week he would be goaded by people to the point where he would have to examine his beliefs, end up fighting someone and teaching them a life lesson, and then leave town. Once the penny dropped I couldn't watch it again. But it was great while it lasted.

I watched Big Trouble in Little China a few weeks back. Terrible but I loved it.

15. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that every martial art developed in the far east (karate, taekwondo, hapkido etc) is just a variation of kung-fu that just focuses on one or several specific aspects (such as taekwondo focuses predominantly on kicking techniques). Kung-fu is basically all of them put together. Something like that any way, but I'm no expert.

Regarding the Japanese. They went absolutely bat-**** mental on the Chinese during the second world war. During the Nanjing Massacre they butchered 300,000 innocent men, women and children in just a few days, in order to scare the Chinese government into surrendering etc. They also did a lot of ****ed up scientific experiments on Chinese prisoners etc. One infamous prison/'research' facility is called Unit 731. Plenty of stuff online about it, but it's not for the feint-hearted. Incidentally, the reason the Japanese avoided the same kind of 'guilt' imposed on the Germans after WW2, is because the Americans pardoned so many of their commanding generals and officers, in exchange for the 'research' that was uncovered at Unit 731, much to the disgust of the Russians, who wanted to hold the Japanese fully accountable. Don't know why anyone might find that interesting, but I do, considering the current conflicts of interest in Syria etc.

Le Tissier’s Laces and Libby like this.
  16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Totally agree....had a good run in the side, so good that an experienced player like Caceres (brought in as a back up) can't get a look in. Fine by me....Martin is being well paid and is only here officially until the end of the season....makes sense to persevere with our player who has given no reason to be dropped. I have to point out that Stephens hasn't convinced all the fans on the Saintsweb.....but then who could! Jack is at the age that he needed to play....not just the odd chance afforded to Reed, Sims etc.

17. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

We occasionally like a moan about our lack of national media coverage, but the flip side to that is our club is allowed to get on with the business of football without every defeat being the dawn of a crisis. Our terrible run after Xmas was greeted with nothing more than a surprised observation.

In the summer of 2012 Cortese/Adkins announced four new "signings" to bolster the squad for their return to the premier league. Ward-Prowse, Shaw, Chambers & Stephens would be part of the first team squad and another step in that vision of a first team made up mostly of academy players.

Nearly five years on and four very different career paths with plenty of ups and downs, but it's the two still in red and white stripes whose trend continues to rise.
    Because despite the odd moan from the stand or social media a Saints player is freer to make mistakes and improve

18. fran-MLs little camera

I did notice that even when a few fans with weak bladders were panicking, I never heard one pundit even consider that we were in trouble or risked relegation.

19. fran-MLs little camera

20. TheSecondStain

I think that is 100% right. And I think that actually benefits everybody in the end.