1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread West Bromwich Albion 1 v 1 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image
    West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City
    please log in to view this image

Barclays Premier League
    Date - Saturday, 7 April 2018
    Kick off - 3pm
    Venue - The Hawthorns

Following their (expected) 2-0 defeat at a Old Trafford, Swansea's next match is away at bottom club West Brom.

Defeat for the home club would surely see the Fat Lady start to pick up her microphone..... Whilst victory would give them some forlorn hope.

For the Swans, if they win there is the possibility of moving 6pts clear of Southampton and 7 clear of Stoke, whilst basically sealing West Brom's relegation to the Championship. Whereas defeat would well and truly keep the Swans in the relegation mix....

The importance of this match cannot be overstated. Play like we did against West Ham and the Swans should be ok - play like at Brighton, we will lose......

Carlos has made a huge positive impression since his arrival - but much of that good work could be undone by defeat against Pardew's team.

Carvalhal's task is not helped by Jordan Ayew's ongoing ban - much will rest on older brother Andre. Additionally, there are concerns that Clucas has damaged knee ligaments, whilst Ki Sung-yueng left Old Trafford with an ice pack on his knee having being withdrawn at half-time.

Swansea and West Brom have played each other on 40 occasions, with the Swans winning 18, West Brom 14, and 8 draws.

In last season's corresponding fixture, Salomon Rondon's first Premier League hat-trick helped West Brom secure their third successive home league victory and plunged Swansea deeper into the relegation mire in the process.

The visitors were the better team in the first half, dominating possession against an under-par West Brom, but the hosts sprang back to form after the break.

Rondon's goals - all headers - came in a devastating 13-minute period early in the second half and highlighted the defensive frailties which have contributed to Swansea's poor season.

The visitors did reduce the deficit late on as Wayne Routledge finished a fine move started by substitutes Modou Barrow and Borja Baston, but it was mere consolation.

West Brom have lost eight consecutive Premier League games, their longest losing run in the competition. It's their longest losing run in the top flight since a nine-game streak ending in September 1985.

Turning to Saturday, the Swans will need to be at their best. West Brom know that defeat would all but consign them to relegation, and Pardew will target this game as a must win. What are the odds they will stop their losing streak against the Swans?

The Swans need to keep cool heads and hope for a strong referee. My heart say 2-1 to the Swans, but my head says West Brom will end their dismal run with a 2-0 win. The roller-coaster that is the Swans continues....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

3. Taffvalerowdy

4. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

So we could face them having a “new manager bounce” or in chaos? Which will it be?

5. Taffvalerowdy

Guess the former, but hope for the latter....

Rhodthesod and Bob the slob like this.
  6. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I think WBA will continue to struggle. Going for a 1-1 as we will take a cautious approach

7. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

They will be looking to break that losing run they are on, watch us help them!.................<laugh>

Sorry shouldn't jest, but we have got to get a result here, against the worst team in the PL, they are down, so lets not give them any hope, it would simply be cruel, Pardew has done a fine job in filling the first relegation Spot, going for a Swans win 1-2, though a draw is highly likely.............<ok>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  8. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

If we go with that attitude then we will lose , a cautious approach isn't going to get us 3 points . their ground will be empty and our away end full so lets capitalise on their misfortune .

9. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I think we should have a go at them nut not give anything away. The key is to have a midfield that won't give the ball away and won't give them a moment's rest Hope for a win but mustn't lose.

Rhodthesod and DragonPhilljack like this.
  10. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

We must go all out for the 3 points.

3 points will all but be enough imo if other results that weekend go our way.

11. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I totally agree Matt but have this feeling we will play it safe

12. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised , but to win it we must control the game and we can't do that by being reactive instead of pro active , I'm sure CC will get it right , he's done ok so far

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I am praying that we will win but i am not confident as i was that Carlos will get it right and the players will put enough effort like they did with Carlos's first few games...This is a must win game because if we dont then we are in a lottery of two or three clubs that could go down.....We need that breathing space with just a few games to go......

14. Taffvalerowdy

Alan Pardew collected just 12 points from a possible 84 in his last 28 Premier League games as manager of both Crystal Palace and West Brom (W2, D6, L20).

15. Taffvalerowdy

Referee: Roger East
    Assistants: Simon Beck, Derek Eaton
    Fourth official: David Coote

16. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I'll be very surprised if he manages a PL club again.

17. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Only way I can see it, is if he gets a team promoted from the Championship.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  19. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

That's true.

20. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

WBA game is a real banana skin for us IMO
    They are shocking but we can be as bad.
    They might tun up to impress their caretaker boss.
    They might just turn up and start a Leicester (2014/15)
    We might be complacent and get a shock.
    We also need to keep injuries and bookings to an absolute minimum - what looked like a large squad in January is now starting to look thin in important areas.
    Roger East.
    I'm more nervous about this game than any of our last 10.
    Southampton, Stoke and Palace all have the ability to go on a good run or at least pick up a decent haul of points.