1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We're short of strikers

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Salah's-left-foot, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Salah's-left-foot

Salah's-left-foot Well-Known Member

Its as simple as this. Whether or not Andy Carroll leaves, we're short upfront. Bryan Rodgers has recently said he wants three strikers at the club by the end of the window, and said the three are Borini, Suarez and Carroll as it stands.

Anyone else think we need four?

City have Dzeko, Ballotelli, Aguero and Tevez.
    United have Rooney, RvP, Hernandez, Welbeck and Berbatov (Although Berbatov may be on his way out)
    Arsenal have Podolski, Giroud, Chamakh and Park Chu Young (Aswell as Bendtner, although he may leave)

Although Tottenham only have Defoe and Adebayor whilst Chelsea only have Torres and Sturridge.

Do you guys reckon we need another striker? Last season we had Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt and Bellamy who could all play upfront, along with a contribution of goals from Maxi.

I reckon we'll lack the goals aswell as the cutting edge from last season, Rodgers needs to have a talk with Andy because he seems out of favour at the moment and I'm not surprised, especially because of the way he has been treated. Borini may take time to settle and I don't think its a good idea to rely on Suarez (Nothing to do with his behavior or record, more to do with bringing in something similar to the Torres/Gerrard era.. (Although it may be argued that we won a handful of games without the pair, I just don't see the goals gushing out the squad we have)

Thoughts?

2. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I think we are alright in terms of potential and goal scorers for the future. I think we need somone who can score goals now... someone who has learnt what it takes to play against defenders and goalkeepers at the highest level. It's a matter of who is available and what money we have to spend.

3. Sir Kenny Dalglish

Sir Kenny Dalglish Well-Known Member

From what I can gather Liverpool are looking to bring one more forward in and are currently linked with Daniel Sturridge. PS, According to Spanish newspaper Marca, the Nuri Sahin deal to Liverpool is not dead, and Guillem Balague has stated that Liverpool officials have met with Sahins agent in attempting to negotiate a loan move.

4. shogs

shogs Well-Known Member

can't see your owners allowing more to be spent considering its like 60m+ already between Carroll, Suarez and Borini.

5. Salah's-left-foot

Very good point, this is what I mean, if Arsenal never signed Giroud then I think he would have fitted the bill. If we have £20million to spend then we can hijack Spurs move for Willian. Maybe we could have attempted to sign a striker on loan?

Considering £57million of that was from Torres and Babel sales I don't they'd mind, especially considering the wage bill reductions.

6. shogs

shogs Well-Known Member

funnily enough, Jelavic is exactly the striker you need. in my opinion anyway, rivalries aside.

7. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

For that price he would have been awesome. I said on another thread... Watch Merillas out-score our strikers. <ok>

8. Salah's-left-foot

Possibly, I think we were actually interested in him at one point too.

Just thinking, since the new owners have come in, we've freed up so much in wages..

Fernando Torres
    Dirk Kuyt
    Maxi Rodriguez
    Ryan Babel
    Alberto Aquilani
    Fabio Aurelio
    Milan Jovanovic
    Raul Meireles

If you count in Bellamy too, although he joined then left.

I reckon add those names to the list of low key departures and there's definitely alot of money saved annually.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

that is also true, theres a lot of moeny got shut of there in more ways than one but if you look at the list EVEN torres was not giving what the moeny required as a return.

if you think about it gerrard and carrgehr don't give the return either. reina, skertl agger, squarez, lucas are all worth every penny and more of their wages but thats it isn't it... underperformers

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think Suarez, Carrol and Borini is good but wouldn't mind the Sturridge rumour becoming reality.

11. Milk Milk

Milk Milk Well-Known Member

Mito, I think Gerrard earns his pay off field. Attracts players... sells shirts... increases fame and marketability of club.

12. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Rumour is our OWNERS met with Sahin, ie FSG

I agree we need another striker, BUT only if Carroll leaves

I can see him going to the Geordies the last 2 days of the window

Can also see us going for Walcottt about then also, hes STILL not signed a new deal with less than 12 months left,and Le Arse are being linked with Jesus Navas today

13. Flappy Flanagan (JK)

Flappy Flanagan (JK) Well-Known Member

He said minimum of 3 strikers. I'd like 4. The additional one should be super quick and energetic. Walcott!

14. Three players for one position isn't bad IMO <ok>

Before people say we have a front three, you need to count Downing, Cole, Sterling, Pacheco and even Gerrard and Henderson for the two wide berths <ok>

15. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

But Carroll and Suarez were bought 2 seasons ago; No real money was spent on them though as we sold Fernando for 50 million almost completely funding both signings. However the owners spent a lot after this in the transfer window, unfortunately this was not spent as well as it could of been.

16. Wish people wouldn't talk in terms of transfer budgets, players get paid a wages plus their are bonuses and agent fees etc. It all as to come within the clubs financial restraints. £50m and £7m incoming isn't balanced off with £35m and £22m outgoing, Torres and Babel would probably have been on a combined £160k per week, I'd guess that Carroll is on about £80k and Saurez as just signed a new £100k+ per week deal, that's £20k per week more which equates to £1m a year plus bonuses and agent fees.

I know that is not a million miles away but it gets the point across that it is not just about transfer fees!

17. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

18. DayDoDoeDontDayDoe

DayDoDoeDontDayDoe Well-Known Member

Maybe

With Moses going to Chelski, guarantee that Spurs n LFC will be linked with Sturridge over the next few days, whether theres any truth in it or not.And Brendan does like number 9s who can play in wide areas too

19. Sir Kenny Dalglish

Sir Kenny Dalglish Well-Known Member

Also if Nuri Sahin was definitely joining Arsenal, wouldn't you think he would have done so by now?

20. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Who needs strikers when we have OG?
    <party>