1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wenger Out, Ancelotti In?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by blukyt, Jan 11, 2018.

1. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Rumours flying around that we may be seeing the last days of Wenger on our sidelines, with a deal agreed with Carlo Ancelotti.

I for I'm happy with this. A nice manager to deal with the transition period post-Arsene. Good connections in Europe and would attract quality players too.

I'm excited about this. How do you guys feel, if this is true.

gooner4ever likes this.
  2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

No brainer. An experienced winning manager that is one of the best in Europe. Would be a definate upgrade. He's also a likable chap.

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I just saw this.

Have to say - that would be a pretty decent acquisition.

Allegri and Simeone would be top of my list but Ancelotti is right up there with the best managers around.

Won the Champions League 3 times and has won the league in Germany, England, Spain and Italy.

4. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Evidence?

5. TheBear

Google.com

6. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Daily Mail, Daily Star, The Sun

There can be no doubting those top sources

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

he didn't win it in spain actually.

Personally think he underachieved in the league (although 2 CLs make up for it) with Milan in Seria A. Only won the league once in 8 years

8. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I don't quite believe it.

If it IS true, its only when Wenger's contract is up.

My issue is I would have liked a sort of no-nonsense manager, Ancelotti is still Wenger like in the sense that hes 'nice' toward his players.

Allegri is my top pick, but honestly, its all about getting Wenger to retire, so that in itself is a positive.

9. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I think I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'm certainly not Ancelotti's biggest fan. He's an upgrade on Arsene, but not a prominent enough upgrade to the extent we'd be competing on all fronts. I don't rate him as highly now as I did when he was at Chelsea 8 years ago.

He's won 4 league titles in 22 years of management which, when you look at some of the prestigious clubs he's managed and the lack of competition in some of those leagues, it really isn't that good. He's had some serious advantages and benefits at said clubs as well. He appears like a manager who would do well for a season, but would then struggle to maintain consistency in the subsequent seasons that follow.

His record in the transfer market, to my knowledge, is not that great and I don't know how much he values the development of youth.

In his defence, Carlo's record in Europe is actually very impressive. Winning 3 Champions League titles is no mean feat by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't mind him for a year or 2, but if rumours are to be believed that we'd want him on a 4-year deal, I would be opposed to this.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on him, but I just don't see him as a long-term successor to Wenger.

BobbyD likes this.
  10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree with this <ok> I'd like to see him as a stop gap, but not as a long term replacement. Apparently he's only ever stayed at a club for 2 years at a time, so maybe 2 years at Arsenal would be his maximum anyway. I think he'd steady the ship and with his experience he'd be able to manage a big club like Arsenal, but longer term I want to see somebody like Simeone or Allegri coming in.

11. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but he just doesn't come across as the type of man that could truly reinvigorate us and take us in a new direction. Also, the last few clubs he's been at, he's had the perks of having significant financial resources at his disposal and squads filled with world-class talent.

I'm not trying to downplay Ancelotti's achievements there, but he's not particularly exceeded expectations at his last 3 clubs. I just don't think he would get us to where he want to be in the long-run.

12. lazarus20000

This. He would be an upgrade on Wenger and it would be a seamless transition. As for long term not so sure but one thing's for sure something has to change and this would represent a positive direction.

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep. Got to the stage now where our club really needs a freshen up.

14. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

I think he would be the right choice to transition into a more permanent appointment. It might be too big a shock to bring in a brute. Wenger is essentially an institution at Arsenal. He as established a culture here. Ancelotti is similar but different, if that makes any sense. I think he'll be ideal to ween us off, then we can bring in a younger long term manager.

I don't really expect us to be competing on all fronts right after Wenger. I believe with an Ancelotti we'll continue as is or do slightly better. He'll be a steady hand until when the big change is made.

15. TheBear

He's won 7 league titles as a manager. (not 4)

Only manager to win the Champions League 3 times. (I think) Had a team in the final 4 times.

Personally I would like Allegri or Simeone (or Pep of course) but I think Ancelotti would do better with this current side than Wenger. One thing I like about Ancelotti is his sides tend to do well in the 'big games'.

16. lazarus20000

It's really the least painful solution right now. We can't stay with Wenger but we also don't want to plunge into the deep end straight way. This would make Ancelotti a good replacement.

PINKIE likes this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

This <ok>

I do not want to see us end up with Bould in temporary charge, or some promotion from within the club whilst we try and secure a long term manager.

18. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Correct. As bad as Wenger is at least he keeps us qualifying for the CL...

19. TheBear

Interestingly starting looking at managers win % stats.

Wenger 54.4% (I remember when this was over 60%)
    Pochettino 44.1%
    Allegri 51.6% (70% with Juve)
    Simeone 56.8%
    Hiddink 56.8%
    Ancelotti 58.8%
    Mourinho 60.3%
    Guardiola 75.4%<yikes>

20. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I'd take him as our manager for a couple of years. He knows the league and is high profile enough to attract players. Think he's probably one of the best options for the job.