1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Discussion

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Poveda had chances to improve his own game but failed to take the chances given to him. Yes he looked a threat at times but missed 2 chances and failed to deliver an assist. It was like he got a mental block at the end of his run. Could he improve? Roberts had more chances than anyone last season as he seemed to benefit from Rodrigo absence, but missed countless chances to score and assist. He improved right at the end of the season and got his first goal. Needs much more now. Harrison was in and out and I would prefer another option when he has an off day. Costa a poor season.

All in all our defence is sound but we need fringe players from last season to stop being fringe players and step up or leave

foolee, NostradEmus and Gessa like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Wonder if the head of Southampton Academy is keeping his head down this summer. Imagine being the bloke that told a 16yo Ben White he was crap and should leave….. Ben went down the coast to Brighton who after a couple of years decided Ben wasn't quite good enough and moved him out on loan to L2 clubs. Bielsa or some reason had seen film of Ben way before we played against him in the FA Cup and asked Orta to try and get him. We then saw what happened whilst he was at Leeds and even tried to buy him 4 times but BHA refused. Ben had a decent season in a poor team, made the England squad and got his first cap. Arsenal are about to pay £50m + for Ben White and good luck to the lad, a nice guy and will always be well thought of in Leeds.

LeedsInHeaven, Gessa and NostradEmus like this.
  3. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I will never understand the inflated prices for English players White or Llorente and Koch plus around £20m change? I know which I’d prefer.

I laughed when I read Sky News reporting on the story, they highlighted him helping Brighton avoid relegation and mentioned his loan spells in one same sentence. They never touched on him winning promotion with us or his Championship winners medal

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Llorente and Koch and Raphinha combined as cheaper than Ben White and I know which side of the deal is best for Leeds. :emoticon-0148-yes:

SIDDAS, ristac and Gessa like this.
  5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I've got a lot of time for Ben White. He did a great job for us and bought in to the culture at Leeds. He was popular in the changing room and worked extremely hard in training.

When he went back he was very professional when the clubs were fighting over him. He made the right noises both ways. It was clear he was open to the move but never upset Brighton either. He handled the situation very well.

He has always spoken positively about Leeds and I hope his career skyrockets from here. I wish it could have been with us but its nobodies fault, just business.

Good luck to the lad.

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

34yo Wayne Hennesy Cystal Palace keeper has left on a free and joined Burnley

Experienced keeper at the end of his career, freebie, surley a better option than paying cash to cover for Meslier?

Irishshako and Gessa like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

A not so bright mate just rang me to try and find out how much we got from the Ben White sell on clause. He said that fat git Orta did have a sell on I assume <laugh><laugh> i told him we get £14m

8. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh>

Irishshako likes this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Ryan Edmondson scored twice for Fleetwood in a 3-3 draw against Rochdale in a friendly. Well done fella and do that all season, do it for you

10. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I still have high hopes for Edmondson. I realise he probably won't make it at Leeds but he is still a kid and had spells last season which proved he could have a good impact at League 1 level. He is a target man and they tend to mature a little later in their career so to have so much experience at 19 years old is a testament to his ability.

I reckon he will play a heck of a lot of games in his career.

Doc likes this.

11. SIDDAS

SIDDAS Well-Known Member

I think the pre season games are going to tell us alot about certain players especially the on the fringe u23 lads.
    Not far away now then we can proper get our teeth into it again.

12. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

But surely we want a 'keeper that can play our style? I know nothing about this guy, but suspect that he is old school when it comes to distribution - which is an absolute must for us. I don't want an old school 'keeper as backup, far less passing on his old school experience, much of which will be irrelevant & possibly even quite wrong in this day & age.

FORZA LEEDS and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  13. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I’ve always said we’re an odd club in respect of loans. Most clubs send them out to get battle hardened, ready for first team football whereas with us, I think it’s because we don’t think they’ll make it?

14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Athletico Lanus have just played in the Argentine Primera Liga and their star player Tomas Belmonte was missing, not on the bench even, no explanations?

just saying

Whitejock likes this.
  15. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

He was suspended Doc:

TEAM NEWS

Atletico Tucuman players Guillermo Acosta and Leandro Diaz were sent off against Argentinos Juniors and are suspended. Coach Ricardo Zielinski will pick an alternative XI again as the team are focusing on the Copa Libertadores.

Lanus' Facundo Quignon is still out due to his muscle injury. Tomas Belmonte, who replaced him last weekend, saw his fifth yellow card and is suspended.

Atletico Tucuman
    Suspended: Guillermo Acosta, Leandro Diaz
    Doubtful: None
    Injured/unavailable: Luciano Monzon (muscle)

Lanus
    Suspended: Tomas Belmonte
    Doubtful: None
    Injured/unavailable: Facundo Quignon (muscle), Jose Luis Gomez (knee)

16. FORZA LEEDS

Been speaking to a Palace fan and although Hennessy isn’t a bad shot stopper he was prone to errors and his distribution was hopeless.

As Palace are pretty direct in their play and aren’t known for building from the back his kicking must have been bad <laugh>

Not at all suitable for Leeds.

Irishshako, Doc and Whitejock like this.
  17. Whitejock

Can't believe Orta would sign someone with limited abilities / capabilities just for the sake of him being cheap. Not the way to move forward - & Orta is has been & still is working very hard to move us forward.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  18. FORZA LEEDS

I can see why hoof ball Burnley signed him though, he’ll fit right in :biggrin:

Irishshako and Whitejock like this.
  19. Whitejock

<laugh><laugh><laugh> Spot on! I failed to notice the obvious. LOL

Irishshako and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  20. FORZA LEEDS

Indeed <laugh> and I can see Vieira changing Palace’s style of play so no room for the likes of Hennessy.

Irishshako and Whitejock like this.