1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Discussion

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Weekender.jpg
    Its going to be a strange few weeks knowing our survival has now been confirmed, but next seasons squad needs to be sorted out too. We know Bielsa only wants a small squad of 18 first team players and back-filled with a few Under 23 players. I am going to suggest that Alioski will be gone and so too will Pablo, Forshaw, Berardi, Kiko. I also feel there are question marks on Roberts, Poveda, Shackelton, Davies and Casey. Some may want to add Costa or prefer to keep Roberts etc.

My squad

• Raphinha
    • New signing
    • New Signing
    • New Signing
    • Bamford
    • Meslier
    • Phillips
    • Rodrigo
    • Dallas
    • Llorente’
    • Harrison
    • Struijk
    • Ayling
    • Klich
    • Cooper
    • Huggins
    • Greenwood
    • Gelhardt
    • Costa
    • Jenkins
    • Summerville.
    • Drameh

So I have 22 players above which gives Bielsa more scope to add Roberts and Poveda or even Forshaw for that matter. Roberts has had a few good games but is he adding anything on a regular basis. I will not be upset either way and likewise with Poveda. I expected the ‘wizard’ to have pushed Costa and forced his way into the team way more than he has done. With having Summerville now pushing Poveda and Costa maybe its time Poveda is moved on? Roberts is also holding back Gelhardt and Greenwood. Jenkins, Gelhardt and Greenwood can replace Pablo, with Joffy and Sam also able to cover for Bamford and Rodrigo. Alioski is easily replaced by Huggins who can also cover for Harrison. Drameh can replace Berardi and also cover for Ayling. I have also factored in 3 new signings which could be a left back and a couple of top midfielders or even a striker? I think this squad is an improvement on this seasons squad but Bielsa may have a few ideas himself.

We know Bielsa likes his players to be able to do more than one position, yet we have Poveda and Costa who are only ever used on the RW and sometimes swap over to LW. Harrison has played LB, LWB and striker. Huggins has actually played in 3 different positions in one game for Bielsa and has been called Bielsa’s new Dallas. Joffy and Sam play anywhere from 7, 8, 9, 10. so any new players I suspect will be able to cover a couple of positions. Bielsa uses Raphinha wide left and wide right but has said he believes he can play as a 10. some of the wingers we are rumoured to be looking at are playing out wide or as attacking mids. Rodrigo can play wide left or right or as an 8, 9 or 10. We know what Llorente and Koch can play in various roles, so fully expecting a special LB and special winger as a minimum coming in this Summer. Cresswell will be kept on but really as skipper for the 23s but may get a game for the first team in cups. I think Casey and Davies will either be loaned out or sold as Davies has had his chance and didn’t take it, and with Casey we have a great pairing with Cresswell in the 23s but he’s now at an age where we know he is too far down the ladder to be a first teamer and what will another year in the 23s do for his career.

The teams need to be upgraded and refreshed as improvements will be needed for both the first team for another season in the Premier League, and the U23s who will be playing in the Premier League 2 Division 1 next season after winning the title in L2 this season. Last season we brought in Greenwood, Summerville, Drameh and Gelhardt. Yes all 4 will still be playing a part next season but I suspect they will expect to be part of the first team squad. The 23s are going to be up against Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc so will Orta and Bielsa bring in new recruits to help the 23s compete as I suspect its going to be a step up in class again for them, even though they smashed it this season. There’s a progression for some of the U18s to the 23s too as some 23s are released/sold. According to Phil Hay there’s a budget for the 23s to bring in talent, and it seems we are looking at some kids from Rangers, Celtic and Spurs?.

SIDDAS, ristac, NostradEmus and 4 others like this.
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Listened to Phil Hay earlier today saying that Bielsa loves Forshaw and that for the first time in nearly 2 years he seems to be flying. For me he needs to be sold on with a year left on his contract, but if Forshaw is as good as he was before injury? Could he be the man that saves the club around £15m on a decent midfield player or a cover for Phillips?

SIDDAS and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  3. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I think forshaw will stay.

SIDDAS and Doc like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Forshaw starts tonight so good luck to him. An hour last Saturday was his first game for yonks and todays is his first real game for over 18 months

SIDDAS and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I also wonder where McCalmont and Gotts fit in. Gotts has had some fantastic performances but McCalmont has been outstanding for Oldham this season.

Possibly back out on loan but at a higher level or maybe on the bench in a Shackleton type role?

Speaking of Shackleton. I'd like him to go out on loan in the Championship next season as his career is stalling just sitting on the bench. He needs to play at this stage.

SIDDAS likes this.
  6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I think there is no way back at the moment for any of our lads out on loan. I include Bogusz in that too. You have the right idea by sending them out on loan to Championship clubs as they need a bigger challenge. Enonly one in League 1 is Edmondson but scored one goal only and if hes to survive he needs to up his game. The others are in League 2 and Jordan Stevens cannot even get a game for Bradford. This is the guy that Bielsa gave a chance to in the Championship. His career looks like being dead, Robbie Gotts was wanted by Corberan at Huddersfield and that may be a route to market for him and think Alfie also deserves another chance but in the Championship, but theres no way back into the 23s, its make or break for them

LeedsInHeaven likes this.
  7. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Another broadsheet-quality article, Doc. You know what I think ..... :D

Got to chuck few things into the discussion:

1. Bielsa will no doubt have learned a lot this season. The PL is a different place to anywhere & I think his biggest learning point was that an 18 + u23s squad is just not good enough at this level - unless each & every one is a first class international who can play in other positions. We're not there yet.
    2. I think the PL2D1 is a little bonus that's come our way. It's a big step up from the current division & imo gives the u23s another level to develop in - and it will be taken advantage of with some of our 'are they there yet' prospects. So I don't think normal service will take place come retained list time - we might get some surprises entirely down to this new player opportunity.
    3. There are some players who may be available for sale, but I don't think they will be put up for sale. Players like Roberts, Costa, & Poveda fall into this category, mainly as Bielsa sees something in them that he can bring out. Each is a project for him - some more difficult than others.

SIDDAS and Doc like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Anyone watching the U23s cannot fail to think that Joffy will not make it and for that matter Drameh is without doubt the best defender on the park. Both Greenwood and Gelhardt are winning the ball in their own half and running the game. These 3 for me are good enough now

SIDDAS and Infidel like this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Besides Greenwood, Gelhardt and Drameh there were some very good performances tonight, but hiw many will be retained and be included in the first team squad for next season. Summerville had another great game and was a bag of tricks all night and maybe missing a goal tonight but got an assist. Huggins was great at LB but was so fast and tricky spent as much time as Summerville beating players for fun but he looks lightweight and Summerville does a bit too? Jenkins was very good and Casey was excellent but feel he needs to move on because no use him staying just to play for the 23s next season. Caprile dominates his area and pulled off a great save at the death tonight, can he be No2 to Meslier?

Forshaw got through 83 minutes and in the main looked strong and played well. A couple of miss-timed passes but huge progress.

SIDDAS and Whitejock like this.
  10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Don’t doubt you but why are they not getting game time? Can only mean Bielsa doesn’t think they’re ready

SIDDAS likes this.

11. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

For me Gelhardt looks like the one who stands out from the rest. When you see a Rodrigo, Pablo, Berardi, Struijk, Costa play with the 23's you can just tell that they belong at a higher level. Gelhardt is the same.

I feel like the rest still have alot to prove but Summerville reminds me very much of Raherm Sterling in the way he plays.

Whitejock, Infidel and Doc like this.
  12. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Doc, as always a great thread,
    I see in your squad you only have 1 keeper, meslier for me he is defo our no 1.
    Behind him? Promote the young lad, why not, and try to offload Kiko.
    As for your comment on some players being 'lightweight' I think this is the way the game is going, pace and trickery are now far more important than brute strength.
    There are exceptions, lukaku or Traore spring to mind, but look at man cities little england darlings stones and foden both 11 stoners.
    Young males can bulk up easily, put on pounds of muscle, but ligaments and tendons take far longer also adding upper body weight affects their centre of gravity, only slightly but it does making them less agile.
    As for the youngsters, we all want them to succeed but this not a singing tv show where one one week your in the shower and 6 months later no 1 in the charts.
    It takes time, if we can produce 1 or 2 a year, sell the others and on the odd occasion make a big deal jack clarke for example the academy is doing great.

NostradEmus, Marcos Barber and Doc like this.
  13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Totally agree Este about the ‘lightweight’ Huggins and Summerville, they look like they can be knocked off the ball easily but watching them as I have Inhave never seen them knocked over. Bielsa obviously likes Huggins because hes fast and skilful and does damage running at defenders. Summerville was taking on 2 and 3 players at time tonight.....

Looking at the bench tonight you saw the next batch of 23s as they were all from the U18s. Nohan Kenneh who came on as a CB is actually the main DM, Charlie Allen will run the game, Stu McKinstry a winger or Wing back, McCarron who came on tonight and should have scored can play midfield or wing. Max Dean not there tonight but is Top striker for the U18s and also done games for the 23s. However these few as well as the likes of Cresswell and Jenkins will be the backbone of the next 23s but need more talent as next season play the cream of next generation Premier League players. I think Greenwood wont accept another year with the 23s so Bielsa will need to do something with him. He will either need to add him to the first team and still use him for the 23s to get game time, or he needs to loan him out to a top Championship side, or sell him. Hes too good to hold back. Bielsa will deffo keep Joffy and move him to the first team, but Summerville and Drameh? He will also need to think about.

Summerville was a first team player for Feyonoord, so will expect progression, Drameh had played first team for Fulham. The 4 kids we spent big money on last Summer will not be expecting to stay playing for the 23s, they will need to see a way up and be integrated as well as play for the 23s.

Infidel and esteponawhite like this.
  14. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Here’s an average of player ratings for last nights game

Lowest marks of 5 for Cresswell due to sending off and 6 for Kamwa for a very quiet night.

All the rest get 7s including Joffy as he only played one half and missed a penalty?

Men of the match with 8s Forshaw, Summerville and Greenwood

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Adam Underwood is the Academy Manager and Mark Jackson(Jacko) U23s coach.

All this has been possible because of the direction of Bielsa each academy year group play exactly the same way, all players need to be able to play at least 2 positions and will be rotated around the team. If a player moves up to the U18s he will play the same role as he did in the 16s and if an U18 is chosen for the 23s he knows exactly what he will be doing and how to do it just like when a 23 gets to play for the first team.

Since Bielsa arrived the U23s won the National League and league title, the academy won the U18s, 16s and won everything right down to U7s. Since gaining Cat 1 status in the Summer the academy has struggled but early days, however the U23s have smashed it and Jacko has used 41 players so the U18s were using U16s as the U23s took priority by using U18 players. Gelhardt has only played 15 games and scored 12 goals, Greenwood has only played 16 games and scored 9 but both have played as a 9 and a 10. Summerville has only played 9 times and scored 5. Drameh has been a regular but Jacko used him as a left side CB for a while and then at LBhe also used him as a DM before giving him the role he was brought in to do RB

16. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Off subject I know, but has anyone heard from Leeds60. Probably this should be asked to WJ. I know he and his mot have had health issues and as I've met the bloke a few times and enjoyed his company, I was just a bit concerned.<ok>

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

He seems to get on intermittently recently and I seem to remember that he was having trouble with BT or whoever provides his internet. Think Moe wasnt too well and Mike himself also struggling.

Irishshako likes this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Emu asked a great question here because I looked back at Alfies contract details and guess what, the club gave him a deal until 2024. Bielsa obviously has an idea about what he wants the kid to do going forward, and has indeed had a great time at Oldham. The only kids with contracts to 2024 are Alfie, Cody Drameh, Jamie Shackelton and Joe Gelhardt

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Kids with contracts ending 2023
    1. Bogutsz
    2. Jenkins
    3. Kamwa
    4. Caprile
    5. McKinstry
    6. Allen
    7. Edmondson
    8. Greenwood
    9. Summerville
    I dont see a way back for Bogutsz or Edmondson so expect them to be sold or loaned out.

The others will be U23 players but Greenwood and Summerville must be part of the first team or I expect them to want to leave as they are too good. We surely knew how good they were and must have had a plan fir them? Would it include 2 seasons with the kids?

20. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't help feeling disappointed with Poveda. So much hype, and he has produced very little.

southernwhite and Doc like this.