1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This weeks big headlines
    1. Southgate is crap
    2. Radz sells 11Sports to DAZN making him even wealthier
    3. Orta career still being talked about
    4. Sinisterra new Columbian hero with 3 goals in 2 games
    5. Gnonto involved in 2 goals for Italy in 2 games
    6. Fabian Delph retires at 32
    Rafa Mujica has grown up at last. After 18 months with Las Palmas, the chance to move to Portugal’s first division with FC Arouca presented itself to Mujica, and he jumped at the opportunity this summer. This would be Mujica’s first chance to play first-division football in one of Europe’s top leagues, and it’s fair to say that he’s taken the bull by the horns over in Portugal. In seven appearances so far, he has three goals, while he’s also been named as WhoScored’s Star Man on two occasions – not bad at all for a team struggling at the bottom end of that league. Proof yet again that some top kids develop a little later. Rafa came to Leeds as a 20yo from Barcelona but after playing pre-season he was put in the U23s then loaned out back into Spain never to be seen again.

RB Leipzig’s case against Leeds United for the €21m owed for striker Jean-Kevin Augustin has been adjourned again. Anyone wondered how something which some on here think is so cut and dried can drag on for sooooooo long. Simply its because its not cut and dried irrespective of what some think and there is also the prospect of either Leeds Utd suing UEFA in a real court of law or that same organisation blackmailing Leeds into some form of compliance. Big Kev has only just started playing again 3 years after Leeds were conned in a “passing Off” scam. I suspect a behind the scenes deal will be going on. I believe Leeds initial argument of contract wording will be found wanting, but the cold hard truth of a broken player who cannot play first team football for over 3 years is compelling.

Another American is about to buy a prem football club. Billionaire Bill Foley who owns the Las Vegas Golden Knights is finalising a £150m purchase of Bournemouth. Yet another owner who will insist on sorting out the TV deals. Either individual club deals for streaming or Premier League having their own broadcast networks which will kill Sky etc. US owned/interest clubs are Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Leeds Utd, Villa, Palace, WHU and now Bournemouth making almost half of the Premier League including the big 4. Spurs may also be US backed as Joe Lewis the English owner of ENIC based in the Bahamas may have sold some more shares in ENIC to Americans. Lewis was reported to own 85% so 15% to other investors, but Lewis may have sold more shares due to Spurs debts for the new stadium.

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

So everyone fully fit except Dallas, Gray broken toe still 2 weeks away and Forshaw twisted ankle but back for next week.

Marsch says going to be tough to choose his best defence now that Firpo, Cooper and Ayling are back. Llorente got a bollocking and a talk to with Marsch after his bad game last time out but did well with Spain. Tough calls up front too as Willy is also now in contention as Marsch has had to walk back on his Willie is for the future comment. Willie will be on the bench Sunday

Jammy 07 likes this.
  3. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Do any of these passing averages surprise you? I was amazed to see how poor Meslier's distribution has been this term!!!!!

pass.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Marsch says hes aware of Chelsea offering Victor Orta a job but he and Radz and Kinnear spoke to Orta about it and tried to convince him to stay. He hopes he stays, they all do

Marcos Barber likes this.
  5. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

Meslier has been kicking much longer this season. We don't play out from the back much. It's all about getting the ball forward quickly. That's why his passing % has dropped.

6. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

My view is that you should be censured for overuse of the word “Willy” and for the variation in spelling it <laugh>

Jammy 07 and Doc like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Jammy 07 likes this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I watched Marsch today and something he said on the Orta question made my ears burn. He said he was aware of Victors family situation with his wife and kids but was hopeful of him rejecting Chelsea and staying? What family situation?

9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

<yikes>

10. NostradEmus

I'm hoping he stops calling the transfer window a tranny window.

Jammy 07 and wakeybreakyheart like this.

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Try and find an ounce of information on his wife, there is nothing online about if he is even married so a very strange comment that won’t go down well with Orta. He won’t even allow a Wiki page

Doc likes this.
  12. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Augustin I still insist our own fault and somebody didn’t do their due diligence or medical exam properly

13. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

He’s not related to Benny Hill is he?

14. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

his wife likes shopping in Chelsea?

15. milkyboy

that’s definitely one reason, especially kicking long to a bunch of dwarves.

the other reason of course is that his distribution is ‘a work in progress’ and he can’t hit a barn door with banjo anyway

NostradEmus likes this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

But I remember Bielsa saying he wanted to promote Meslier because he has great distribution. We saw it in that cup game we played against Arsenal a 3 seasons back. Leeds battered them in the first half and Meslier was awesome playing keeper sweeper. He then got the gig ahead of Kiko and as soon as we got into the prem, the distribution was crap. Tippy tappy at the back costing goals, or panic stations lumping it into the stands and giving away throws just outside our box. Hes gone backwards on distribution but better on stopping.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  17. milkyboy

Don’t disagree Doc. He’s improved on crosses too. I like him but his distribution is still well below standard.

I’m hoping the Distribution part is as much about confidence. I suspect/hope it takes the pressure off knowing it’s ok under Jesse to punt it long - err I mean start attacks with early long passes - rather than fearing for his life if he doesn’t play it short.

Doc likes this.
  18. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Mateo Joseph Fernandez 8 goals from 7 games
    Sonny Perkins 7 goals from 7 games with a goalin each game

Marcos Barber and Gessa like this.
  19. NostradEmus

Just another thought on Meslier.

The main receivers of the short pass out for him are the full backs.

Ayling was the number one recipient of Mesliers passes and he has been absent. On the other side we have young Struijk out of position. Maybe Rasmus and Pascal just haven't been available or as brave as Ayling and Dallas/Alioski were.

Let's face it, would you give the ball short to the **** show that is Firpo on the edge of your box. I know I'd be lumping it in to row Z to just keep the **** away from it.

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

You can see the difference between our defenders and say Man City who can play one touch at the back whilst having a heavy press on top of them and never fail to play out with the ball. Ours tend to panic and make mistakes