1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Jun 24, 2022.

1. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

At this point we may as well call ourselves red bull Leeds.

please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Got to say that getting a bit sick of the red bull links. I accept that Marsch has yet to prove himself but filling the team with former players smacks of Clough wanting his old players at Leeds.

Are there any more DMs we are supposed to be looking at?

3. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

The problem I foresee now is, we stayed up by the skin of our teeth, we've sold KP, Raph most likely to go too, how we going to sell the club to any top talent. De Ketelaere agent has said, they've no interest in talking to Leeds

4. NostradEmus

I think the selling point, and it's not good from a fans point of view, would be that up and coming players will be told to come and show yourself in the best league in the world and if you play well enough we will sell you to a big club.

We are a stepping stone for players.

5. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Well, yes but....top players also want a top coach. Jesse may be that coach but right now I would be waiting to see what he does in the next season if I was a prospective player, with a little time to wait. I suspect that's why RB players are being linked and signing. I'm not unhappy with who we have signed but at some point, no matter how much money you throw at a transfer, a player takes a deep breath and asks themselves is this good for me, or should I wait and see?

6. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

this.

It is what it is for every pl club outside the top 6. Raphinha came here, llorente came here. The money is better than any other league and the profile is higher.

We sell our star players and reinvest. As long as the club reinvests rather than pockets the cash, as fans we can’t complain…

Well we can complain if the replacements turn out to be sh*t… and if they’re not all world beaters I’m sure we will <laugh>

7. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

I think the ‘coming for coach’ bit is largely PR bollox. Sounds nice when you sign the contract. They come for the money and the opportunity.

I’m fine with us raiding jesse’s ‘old’ players if they’re young. He has the inside track on them. It’s not like dragging paddy kenny everywhere.

Makemstine Roger, NostradEmus and Doc like this.
  8. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Yes, OK but it's shorthand for having a team that is competing in the league and being successful, rather than just surviving, but that takes longer to write.

Makemstine Roger and NostradEmus like this.
  9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The coming season must be seen as a huge experiment and they can easily fail sometimes. Nobody is 100% sure about Jesse Marsch yet, except maybe his former players. So we fans must accept that his former players know him best and need to trust him. Lets all hope he knows what hes doing as a bad start could come back to bite the club.

like Eric Im not unhappy with the players brought in so far, and Im also not missing Kalvin as He didnt play for us last season when we needed him most. The cash is pretty good as I believe a bit of under the table stuff has gone here that will benefit both clubs accounts. Just like Eire though I expect to see the cash invested in the squad and top replacements for Phillips and Raphinha if he goes.

bring in the striker we’ve been screaming for please

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

What’s pissing me off more than even Kalvins being given away in a ridiculous deal is what it says about the direction our top players see the club going. That five year plan is a nonsense clearly and it looks far more likely it’ll be five years of avoiding the drop

11. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure, I think players would be more likely to want to sign when Bielsa was in charge due to his very good reputation. We’re now just a standard lower table PL side selling their best 2 players when we finished 17th last season, only selling point we have now is we’re a stepping stone and can pay better which will entice some players.

It’s good that he’s bringing his players that he trusts but I do find it a bit concerning that he can’t coach other players into his system but the proof will be in the pudding when we start the season.

NostradEmus and Doc like this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Is Sander Berge really on the radar and if so is he good enough to replace Phillips

13. NostradEmus

I stated that Harrison would struggle under Marsch but he was arguably the one player that has actually improved by playing narrower.

14. NostradEmus

He's different to Phillips. He gets forward more. He is a very talented player and I'd be happy to sign him if his injury problems are behind him. He's hardly played since he went to Sheffield. He is top class though. Can pretty much do everything.

Tyler Adams is the same. He only managed 8 full games last season. He's always injured or carrying knocks.

foolee likes this.
  15. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

Also, does anyone think 5m for a youth player is excessive that’s never played a pro game. Admittedly never seen Gyabi play but we know how much of a step up PL2 is and I can’t see us getting 5m for any of Costa, Klich, Shackleton or Kiko who are all proven PL/championship players so think we’ve been had a bit.

ristac and Eireleeds1 like this.
  16. foolee

foolee Well-Known Member

They’ll both suit us then. If we’re signing a Berge or Adams then we need another CM to mitigate the potential injuries as the lad from Bayern hasn’t played a lot so could get injured with the pace of the PL.

Harrison has always been pretty consistent imo, good numbers for a PL winger and English as well.

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

This is why I believe some creative accounting has gone on. We bought ghe best striker in any academy in Joffy and got him cheap at less than a million rising to £1.4m which he already achieved. Greenwood for £1.5m, less than a million for Summerville and around a million for Drameh. These were the best of the kids a ailable. Last summer we spent just over £1.5m on the Chelsea kid Bate. You pay more for attacking players even in academies yet we fork out £5m for midfielder? No I think creative accounting has gone on and why the Phillips fee seems low

18. NostradEmus

Harrison surprised me when he played under Marsch. I had him down as an out and out winger but he has proven he can comfortably handle playing an inverted role. His assist for Gelhardts disallowed goal at Brentford made me sit up and take notice. If Hernandez had done that we'd be marvelling at his genius.

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

So e of what Harrison does is exceptional, it just doesn't happen enough. He scores some screamers but his choices at times are lacking. Can be greedy instead of passing, can fail to see the cross to open players. If he could get that part right his price would be double

20. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Seems Phillips gave the club no option accotding to Fabrizio Romano

“Let me mention, Paris Saint-Germain had contact with Kalvin Phillips’ agents, and also other English clubs tried to explore this deal, even with proposals that were way better than Manchester City proposals with Leeds.

“But Leeds had to accept Manchester City’s proposal because Kalvin Phillips was pretty clear with Manchester City and the other clubs, he only wanted to play with Pep Guardiola, so with Leeds, it was no choice.”