1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Weekend Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

You're spot on, Doc. I've put on a couple of pounds since then. <whistle>

Doc likes this.
  2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Where does Cresswell fit in then, Doc?

3. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

I'd like to see Cresswell managed the way Brighton did it with Ben White. Give him a good contract and send him out for a couple of seasons. Might be tempted to do the same with Hjelde if we retain Cooper, Llorente, Struijk and Koch with Ayling backing up.

If we recruit properly I'd like to see Sam Greenwood go out too for a season. He is obviously behind Joffy at this point.

And for the love of God please send Jamie Shackleton out. The lad needs to play football.

bucks_is_leeds, Doc and Jammy 07 like this.
  4. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Agree on Cresswell as he needs to learn a hell of a lot before becoming a top PL defender. Many will disagree with that point of view but I'd like him to make his mistakes elsewhere before coming back to play on the biggest stage if good enough.

Shackleton has been unlucky with injuries so it's difficult to know where he's at exactly. Maybe one more pre season to see if he can impress Jesse as it's just possible he might be the sort of all action midfielder/wide but not wide player that suits the new system.

Greenwood should definitely stay and try to make the step up through the cameo roles he'll get with the new 5 subs rule.

Have missed Hjelde out, but if he can play left back as well then maybe he's a good one to keep around.

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cresswell and Hjelde are difficult whilst we have Cooper, Struijk, Koch and Llorente unless someone is going to be sold. Cresswell too good for the 23s, Hjelde still learning so could carry on with the 23s? Struijk never went out on loan but we had no CBs then, so maybe got lucky. Struijk not been great recently and obviously Marsh prefers Cooper, Llorente and Koch right now. There is no LB at the club capable except maybe Struijk who did a decent job but not pacey, Hjelde also can do a jobat LB and indeed growing up had played DM and AM, so lots for Marsch to look at?

Infidel and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  6. Jammy 07

Think my position on Cody Drameh is softening a little.

Without knowing exactly what went on it's perhaps harsh to say his time at the club should be at an end. There was certainly things going on at TA that affected all the playing squad in some way shape or form and it's been a really difficult couple of years with covid and then an injury ravaged team getting not getting the required results.

Let's leave it up to Orta & Jesse to decide what's best for the lad and then support that decision either way.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

100% agree with this and we got a clue last week from Jesse talking about Summerville, he said he had had a couple of chats with him about his attitude, which could mean he wanted to leave like Drameh.

Last night highlighted the clubs problems. U23s playing WHU away in the cup. We sent out a team with no Cresswell, Summerville, Greenwood, Gelhardt or Kenneh which I dont understand as the first team are not playing this weekend. He insisted on playing them last week and Joffy got hurt? leeds got spanked 5-1 because it was almost an U18 team we sent out. Highlights were Lewis Bate and Young Fernandez who started for the first time and scored a bery good goal from a Bate through ball but ran 30 yards through the defence and slotted home.

8. Jammy 07

I'm guessing that's a consequence of when Jesse was appointed and said he'd have to concentrate solely on the 1st team for now. Only six games to go so needs to keep everbody fit and available. Plus he'll need to keep the squad in sync regarding training and days off and it's likely the first team have been given a couple of rest days with no game for 2 weeks.

9. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Doc also it’s because the 23s is not seen as being about results. It’s development.

yes ideally you want a team in the top division so they’re getting tested against better players.. but look at the league, look how sides like Liverpool and Chelsea have flirted with relegation. No one cares. It’s not the point of it.

Yesterday was a cup game anyway so even less reason to worry about it. I’m sure they’ll try and put out stronger sides in the last few matches to stay in the league. But they won’t be crying too much if they don’t stay up.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agree with all that Milky but the difference between Leeds and the top 6 prem clubs is that we are actually trying to develop them for the first team, for example the new 18+4 policy. The likes of Chelsea and Man City et al is all about making money and buying in top talent. Therein lies the difference for me and having your development team playing against the better teams in the top league has got to be key

The season before last our 23s won the league, the cup and the National league. We then got Cat1 status and played in Prem2Div2 and with the new kids like Joffy we won that league at a cantor too. However from being 2nd in the league early on this season we got ourselves in a relegation fight

11. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Fair points Doc, and obviously those teams have their better younger players out on loan. We are trying to prepare our players to make the step up… so style of play in 23s is important, and obviously doing it against better standard of players helps that prep.

So I do agree it’s important for us to stay in the top league - my point really is that being in it is important, but individual results and league position are irrelevant. And for the club even what League we’re in is very much secondary to anything that impacts directly on the first team. Hence what we’ve seen this season!

Doc likes this.