1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Wednesday - on a Saturday

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jan 27, 2019.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

You're lucky if you can UNDERSTAND a word he says

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

You’re joking here, aren’t you? From the owner who hired Roy Keane, Paul Jewell, Paul Hurst, agreed to wreck the academy back in 2009, and failed to finance a promotion push when we were in the top two spots? The same owner who gave an inexperienced manager carte blanche to sign rubbish players. We brought Lambert in to turn us around because that’s exactly what we needed - turning around. Do not forget that Hurst ripped up a good squad and staffed it full of League One and League Two players. Don’t forget how key backroom staff employees fell out with him. Don’t forget he lost the dressing room and the confidence of the players after only half a year. Don’t forget how he had no man management skills. Don’t forget his erratic and inconsistent tactics and team selections. The man was utterly out of his depth.

He needed to go, just like McCarthy needed to go. The problem with our owner is that he has hired yet another manager struggling with results, and has restricted another experienced manager to loans and freebies. Attracting players to the club when you’re bottom was always going to be a difficult challenge. That aside, my confidence in Lambert is fast diminishing. He seems incapable of getting results. He has brought in several loans for an attempted quick fix, when he should be trying to give our young players as many opportunities as possible. He should realise that playing the ball out from the back, with this squad and these sorry lot of players, is a waste of time and affecting results. He should abandon his preferred formation and go for two up front. Hurst didn’t realise this. Lambert should have the experience and know-how to solve this issue.

Scowey, itfcptc and San Diego like this.
  3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Out of getting Lambert in or sticking with Hurst, we clearly should have given Hurst a lot longer.

We are significantly worse than we were at the start of the season and everything that Hurst was accused of Lambert is doing too, but worse. Apart from his excellent man management of course; which is there for everyone to see in the performances.

He certainly didn’t rip up a good squad.

Ridiculous to talk about a revolutionary new way of doing things and to give up on it after a couple of months.

4. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

It's extreme to say Lamberts appointment is Evans biggest mistake. But it is the latest. I don't think Evans ever really had faith in the new era so pulled the trigger too early. I've been over the reasons for my continued defense of Hurst before. I won't tread the same ground.

Lambert clearly hasn't achieved what he was appointed to do, save the side from relegation. (If Evans was prepared to accept relegation in aide of the new approach than surely he would have stuck with the manager he was chasing since McCarthy left). The successful shifting of the goal posts for Lambert has been the best result for the club this season.

What astounds me is that the noise coming out of the club makes it sound like everyone involved will be surprised when we go down, there's a fine line between positivity and delusion, we are well in to the latter.