1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We must, in my opinion, finish the season.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by WINDYROG, Apr 21, 2020.

1. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

I've just read this post on the BBC League One news section by the chairman of Wycombe Wanderers:
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52354968

His, an American, decision is based purely upon selfish financial concerns. Regardless of the fact that Wycombe were, until recently, enjoying their best ever season before dropping to 8th and three points off the play off places.

This take on the situation should not be allowed to prevail as it is totally disrespectful to all fans who trudge out to support their team in all weathers, sometimes enduring poor ground conditions for a not too cheap investment. Behind closed doors may have to be the way the season is completed but there is so much at stake for all involved in 'the beautiful game'. How about the TV moguls, Sky, Virgin et al assisting with streaming the matches? No, it won't be free but following your team in action has got to be a lot better than this 'businessman's' suggested option.

This is football and carries with it the passions that an offshore former colonial member cannot understand.

2. brb

brb CR250

I think the whole season should be scraped. That will not go down with Liverpool supporters, but even more reason to scrap it <whistle>

Thoughts on streaming the games, SKY can do one. In case there is any uncertainty what I mean by that, it means SKY will not be getting any of my money.

Football is long overdue a kick up the backside, let's see how much COVID 19 will enforce change in the world, especially where greed and celebrity status' is found.

My best guess, we will return to the same old ways, and that will be SKY getting their way, along with the greed of the Premier League.

3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Play the same as a 5 a side tournament, 3 games a day over a long weekend.
    The players of all teams would be equally knackered.

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Or a penalty shoot out lol

5. brb

brb CR250

Saw the mass graves in Brazil on the TV this morning, having to dig 800 graves a day, when you bury your loved one, you get 5 mins by the grave then the next family pay their respects to their lost loved one.

Today the Premier League discuss how they can restart the season, I can't think of anything more grotesque at this sad time.

6. brb

brb CR250

Oops, over to the Premier League and the Men at Liverpool FC...https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...andoned-over-player-safety-concerns-zc5clhnxx

<laugh>

Liverpool and Chelsea are among a number of Women’s Super League teams who do not want the season to resume over fears that it would endanger player safety. Their club representatives will relay this information to the Football Association this week.

grumpygit likes this.
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

8. brb

brb CR250

grumpygit and Resurgam like this.
  9. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I won't be the only person really missing live football ( and other sport ). I won't be the only person who has bought a season ticket, and not getting my money's worth - but,
    The Game needs to be played on the pitch - not on a computor !
    The season needs to be scrapped - and start again in September or October -- when, hopefully, it might be a lot 'safer' for all concerned.
    This is not an ideal decision - but - we are in exceptional times.
    Scrapping football matches for the rest of this season, can then be seen as the least mark of respect for all the victims of Covid 19. It would surely send a message that the World respects, and values the loss of life above anything as meaningless ( in relative terms ), as a game of football.

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

There isn't a solution that will suite everyone, teams in relegation often go on a run and achieve safety, teams that are outside a promotion spot often go on a run and get promotion.
    If the season is scrapped everyone stays where they are, no club/team will benefit, equally no club/team will lose out, some teams in a promotion spot might feel aggrieved, but they can't guarantee that promotion was definitely happening. Let's make life the priority, football can start again next season.

11. brb

brb CR250

Well said mate <applause>

Just don't do it too often ;)

alwaysright likes this.
  12. alwaysright

I've got a corker coming next week - relating to my mobile phone repair -- you might have to ban me.

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

I had a look on twitter earlier, it appears Darragh MacAnthony is doing his crunchy, over the idea of Coventry, Rotherham and Oxford being promoted. If I've read it right. Can't say I blame him. Threatening lawyers.

grumpygit likes this.
  14. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Does anyone really anticipate football with crowds in attendance re commencing before December?
    What about the latest suggestion in the KM where the season is suspended until it recommences maybe in January? Regardless, the outcome will not please everyone and I am bearing in mind the tragic impact that the virus has had on lives and families across the globe.
    There has to be a point where a 'form of normality' returns and normal may well not be what we were used to.......

grumpygit, alwaysright and brb like this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

I had thought about the option of recommencing the current season in Jan 2021, which means we just forfeit next season. In general it is a good idea and would work around many problems, except one, and sadly it's a major problem. All the teams these days are not like how when we watched games many decades ago, regular players, numbers 1-11, todays squads are made up of many loan signings, for which a lot of those players for clubs, may want to return to their original team - for me that would mean different squads and with it different outcomes. I suppose the question we all have to ask ourselves, is which scenario, creates the less legal action, because that's what this is all sadly going to boil down to.

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.
  16. alwaysright

Windyrog, brb -- good suggestion, and, to be ''fair'' to any team striving for promotion or fighting against relegation, this season should be allowed to resume -- January is not a bad 'shout' ( effectively scrapping next season ) - that way the 'real' outcome of league positions will be allowed to follow a 'natural' course.

The argument might then be about what financial implication it will have on this season --- but, I 'm fairly certain that the whole World is feeling some financial impact. It might be sad for Football, but it has no divine right to money.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    WINDYROG, grumpygit and brb like this.
  17. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

The document released yesterday confirmed sporting events that can be broadcast can recommence from 1st June. Prem clubs are due to resume training from next week and those clubs have special dispensation to extend contracts of players due to expire on 30th June to get them finished.

For us however the consensus seems to be that Leagues One and Two will be finished using the Points Per Game method to determine outcomes. In terms of league position we would jump one place above Ipswich to 10th which isn't a bad season in all. Of course I would love to resume and having a shot at those play-offs but realistically was always going to be a tall order. With Roberts and Lee having already returned to their respective clubs it's probably the most appropriate decision for us.

brb and grumpygit like this.
  18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

If that's the way it goes we should take legal action against the league, I was thinking we would finish in 9th place, we are being cheated. :emoticon-0130-devil

brb likes this.
  19. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well our chairman does love a court battle... <laugh>

grumpygit and brb like this.
  20. brb

brb CR250