1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We Finally Look like a Team

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 26, 2022.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'We finally look like a team' - Eight Bristol City fans rate and review the season so far
    Bristol City have made positive strides over their first 10 games of the 2022/23 Championship campaign
    please log in to view this image

The ambition was undoubtedly appreciated after a pretty miserable two-and-a-half seasons for Bristol City, but few people gave too much credence to Nigel Pearson’s pre-season assessment that promotion was a credible aim for the Robins.

Only 10 games have passed but it’s presented a suitable size sample to conclude that, at the very least, this City team, who lie ninth in the Championship, appear in a far better place than they have been for many a campaign.

Which is strange to say, in a way, because we have been here before; last season after 10 matches, the Robins were 10th; in 2020/21 under Dean Holden they were seventh; and in Lee Johnson’s final campaign they were also seventh. But something feels different with this group of players and how they’re going about their business.

A lot can still happen and best laid plans can be ripped to shreds by injuries, plus such is the Championship, the league’s inherent inconsistency - which leads to such much excitement - naturally sees opinions wildly waver across all 24 tears.

But to get a flavour of the mood among the fanbase, we spoke to eight City supporters for their take on the 2022/23 campaign so far…

How would you rate City’s start to the season out of 10?
    David Pottier, 66, Tickenham: "7.5/10 – We’ve exceeded expectations from an attacking perspective but are conceding too many unforced error-laden and sloppy goals rather than falling to stunning worldies."

Ben Connelly, 46, Stoke Bishop: "A solid 7 I would say. It would have been higher but the number of goals conceded is a slight concern."

Mike Ham, 30, Leeds: "8/10. We're ninth but level on goals as first place. Some shocking refereeing in the opening games and two decent performances against former Premier League teams… we're unlucky not to be higher."

Matt Hubbard, 25, Bridgewater: "I'd give a 9 out of 10 for the start of the season. Seeing as we were second favourites to go down at the start of the season I don't think anyone else would have expected us to be where we are and especially with all the goals we're scoring."

Steve Harris, 37, Downend: "8/10. The first couple of games weren't great but have been great since. We’ve had some bad luck with refereeing decisions too, so we could have had even more points."

Matt Davies, 31, Shepton Mallet: "6/10 - We have been in every game this season, performances have been positive and if it wasn’t for a few poor defensive errors we would be talking about a far more positive start."

Milo Lucas, 16, Clifton: "7.5/10. So much to be so pleased about yet there’s still a lot to work on defensively. We have improved massively but we still look very shaky on set pieces and are far too mistake prone. But we’re now a team that others don’t want to face and are playing the best attacking football I’ve seen at Ashton Gate."

What has pleased you the most about their performances?
    David Pottier: "We are playing with a purpose and identity which has been largely absent since the first half of 2017/18 season. Whilst losing back-to-back at Norwich and Burnley, our performances showed we can compete with the best in the Championship."

Ben Connelly: "The attacking prowess has pleased me most of all. Even the Burnley game, with very little possession, we still created some good chances. Semenyo probably should have scored and a draw would have been a fantastic result."

Mike Ham: "We're exciting to watch now, playing with pace and an identity, something I feel we've lacked in recent seasons."

Matt Hubbard: "The attacking intent and high press that we've been playing with. Also, there looks a real togetherness in the squad that everyone is fighting for each other."

Steve Harris: "A bit more of a plan. The players seem to know their roles better this season and are defending and attacking as a team. The new signings have brought the levels up and added some much-needed pace."

Matt Davis: "The attitude and application from the players going into every game as we finally look like a team with an identity."

Milo Lucas: "We’re now playing on the front foot for the whole 90 minutes (not sitting back if we take the lead) and Wells and Jay Dasilva who looked on their way out last season being so pivotal and linking up so well."

And what leaves you concerned for the next phase of the campaign?
    David Pottier: "I don’t have any concerns regarding the next sequence of games. There are no easy opponents and with four out of the next five at home against clubs without parachute payments I’m hoping we can consolidate our position in the top half."

Ben Connelly: "I guess the goals conceded is a concern. But they’re mainly down to individual errors which can (and will) be stamped out."

Mike Ham: "Post international duty fatigue. After an international break it's always daunting thinking if we can carry on the good performances and step it up, especially if there's an injury. Hopefully Andi Weimann isn't out for too long and we carry on our form."

Matt Hubbard: "The defensive errors that we've been making and constantly having to score three goals to win matches - tighten that up and we'll be flying."

Steve Harris: "Lots of games in a short amount of time. A couple of injuries in key areas would significantly hamper the team due to lack of depth in some positions."

Matt Davis: "I think what concerns me is if we get injuries to key players and players starting finding themselves out of form."

Milo Lucas: "The reliance on scoring two or three a game is still an issue, albeit nowhere near as much last year. Apart from that the lack of depth at centre-back and maybe Kal Naismith’s playing out from the back."

Which player (or players) have stood out for you?
    David Pottier: "The emergence of Tommy Conway has been stunning and unexpected from a rapidity point of view plus I’m pleased for Nahki Wells who’s emerged from the shadows and Zak Vyner whose recent performances are suggesting Tomas Kalas won’t walk back into the team when he’s fit."

Ben Connelly: "Obviously Conway and his goals but I really think Rob Atkinson has been very good. Defensively he’s looked solid and has provided some real moments of quality in bringing the ball out and his distribution from the back. And a massive nod to Wells in his sheer professionalism in getting back into the team and looking the player we knew he could be."

Mike Ham: "Wells and Conway. With Semenyo injured at the start I was worried how the frontline would perform. But hats off to their partnership and camaraderie. They've taken their chance to impress and we wouldn't be where we are on the table without them delivering week in, week out."

Matt Hubbard: "Conway has been the biggest stand out for me, someone who I didn't think would get as much game time as he has and he certainly is the first one on the teamsheet at the moment for me."

Steve Harris: "Conway. He’s been like a new (free) signing and has surprised himself probably as well. Also, Naismith. A couple of mistakes have cost us but he has brought the levels up and improved Atkinson. Mark Sykes has been decent too. Weimann is always great - runs his heart out."

Matt Davis: "Conway and Wells for sure; one youngster who played a bit part and an experienced pro who looked on his way out of the club have suddenly struck up a relationship on and off the pitch and they are reaping the rewards from playing together."

Milo Lucas: "Sykes has made such a huge difference in both defence and attack on the right hand side - has easily been the best signing of the summer. Atkinson has been solid at the back but I’ve been most impressed with his forward dribbles/runs that create and lead to chances, something we didn’t see last year. Conway is obvious with his runs and end product. For Nakhi, I’d say it’s been his resurgence that has cemented himself into the starting XI."

Has City’s start made you reassess what’s possible for Nigel Pearson’s side this season?
    David Pottier: "Yes, it has. Results so far have created a platform for a top-half finish. I’m enjoying watching this side and whilst resigned to losing one from Conway, Antoine Semenyo or Alex Scott in the January window it shouldn’t hamper progress as long as funds realised are reinvested. Scott would be the greatest loss as without him the midfield is a mish mash of mediocrity."

Ben Connelly: "Promotion is possible without a doubt, but it’s the Championship and it’s a tough nut to crack."

Mike Ham: "Yes, given we finished towards the bottom last season, so I was hoping for improvement and a mid-table finish. But he's gotten the best performances from our players and turned the team around. The newbies have settled in perfectly also (i.e not just random signings like his predecessors!) I’m definitely expecting the play-offs now."

Matt Hubbard: "I am still trying to be fairly grounded with my expectations for City this season as there is a long way to go. I certainly think we've got the capability to be in and around the top six at the end of the season looking at teams across the league."

Steve Harris: "Yes. I had higher expectations this season than at the start of last season, but I think we have surprised everyone. I still think making play-offs is a little ambitious, given how many goals we concede, but I certainly feel like we have more of a chance than I did at the start of the season."

Matt Davis: "Hmm, a little yes; we have goals in us but the amount of goals conceded is still a concern, of course. I think we can break into the top 10 if we can be consistent and injury free but that is a big if."

Milo Lucas: "I always thought play-offs were a long shot and although they still are it seems far more reachable now so, yeah - I would’ve been happy with a mid-table finish at the start of the season, now I’d be disappointed. But it’s obviously early days and we have to hope our momentum is still with us."

And, on the back of that, what do you think is a realistic ambition for this team?
    David Pottier: "Keep all our stars and a play-off spot beckons. Should we sell either Kalas and /or Han-Noah Massengo, who can both walk in the summer through being out of contract, then those funds plus maybe a little more if the club wishes to be bold could be invested in the defence because if we stop conceding and keep up our goalscoring that play-off place is assured!"

Ben Connelly: "Realistically it’s too early to say top six but I think, with the performances and the start we’ve had, we have to be thinking of a top 10 finish and really pushing for the top six."

Mike Ham: "Play-off winners. Goals win games and can be the difference between sixth and seventh. With the consistency of goals we're banging in, the players' hard graft and self-belief, without a doubt I think our team can finally make the Premier League through the play-offs."

Matt Hubbard: "With the group of players we've currently got and if we manage to keep hold of them, the Premier League has to be the aim. Without the Premier League there will be very little chance of keeping our young players for too long."

Steve Harris: "If we can tighten up at the back by cutting out individual errors, sign a defensive midfielder (like a Korey Smith) to protect the defence more and keep our main players fit then we have a good chance of being in the hunt for the play-offs at least. Stay within 5-10 points of the top six by February and I'll start to get excited."

Matt Davis: "Again, I think a top-10 finish, certainly top half but if we are going to get into the top six this season then consistency is key, as are keeping players fit. The January transfer window will also play a part too."

Milo Lucas: "I’d hope for top 10, pushing play-offs right until the last couple of weeks or so."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/we-finally-look-like-team-7626304

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I know we have suffered a couple of defeats but overall our performances have been good, what an improvement over last 2 or 3 seasons, of course a playoff position at the seasons end would be fantastic but I would be extremely happy with a top 10 performance.

With all of the obstacles Nige has had, the OOC players, the £38.4m loss, FFP controls and general lack of finance I think he has done a good job, 7 out of 10.

AshtonRed likes this.
  3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

For my 2 pennyworth - I've more or less mirrored some of the replies above:

How would you rate City’s start to the season out of 10?
    R&W: 8/10 for me. It's good to be top half of the table and within reach of the top 6. As others have said though (and we all know) we are sloppy at the back and MUST improve that side of our game if we are to seriously bother the playoffs. We also must learn to see out games and not concede at the last minute (although this seems better of late).

What has pleased you the most about their performances?
    R&W: I love our attacking football - when we decide to play it. I love the fact that we are scoring lots of goals.

And what leaves you concerned for the next phase of the campaign?
    R&W: 3 things concern me; (1) Trying to sit on a 1 goal lead, when defending isn't our strength (2) Conceding last minute goals / conceding from stupid individual errors (3) Risk of injuries to key players, given our small squad.

Which player (or players) have stood out for you?
    R&W: Conway (obviously), but Wells has impressed me too. He came in for a lot of criticism over the past few seasons, mainly due to his wages, but he's risen above that and has a good partnership going with Conway. Special mention for Semenyo too - super-sub.

Has City’s start made you reassess what’s possible for Nigel Pearson’s side this season?
    R&W: Yes. I expected us to be amongst the relegation battlers before the season started - and after the Sunderland game in particular, but now I think we'll be battling at the other end of the table - provided we can keep it going of course.

And, on the back of that, what do you think is a realistic ambition for this team?
    R&W: I think we should be aiming at a playoff place as our target. We may ultimately not make it, but that's what we should be aiming for and I think it's a realistic aim. Top 2 is unrealistic.

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Pretty much summed up my feelings and agree 7/10, just, was debating either 6/10 or 7/10. The silly goals conceded are the main concern.

5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

7/10 for me so far.
    I think it's far to early, with youngsters and a small squad, to gauge with any degree of certainty.

RedorDead and AshtonRed like this.
  6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Blimey - makes a change for me to rate the team higher than anyone else!!
    Quick - I need a tablet!

7. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

on paper 5/10, .................. personally 6 or 7/10. Difficult to assess as so many teams, there are 16 of the 24, within 3 or 4 points of top 6 [ include Midds &WBA within 6 pts of top 6 ] and the difficulty is " is this season a lot of weak teams or strong teams?"

8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

A good start to this season which I would rate at a firm 7/10. Some of the weaknesses of campaigns past still haunt us and we need to put late capitulations in the garbage can.

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

7/10 for me. Too many goals being conceded is the drawback.

10. realred1952

put it on here ENGLANDS THIRD GOAL pundit was adamant that it was no way a penalty when a roar went up 1 sec after he said it pundits ..what do they know........

11. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I've watched most minutes. Overall just makes a 7/10 edged from a 6 for me.....Still lacking concentration when it matters, naff set plays such as corners and freekicks, distribution often quite poor in final 3rd, still have this habit of taking foot off the pedal allowing opposition unnecessary possession.
    When we're on song, we look really good. A very long way to go IMO.

Supcon72 likes this.
  12. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

It was a definite penalty, he was lucky not to break his leg/ankle and was inside the box.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  13. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

In Nige I trust just let him get on with the job off taking Bristol City to the promised land.
    With his hands tied and the **** show he inherited on and off the pitch 8 out 10 from me.
    Doing a fine job.
    Just hope he sticks with us and follows the job through.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  14. realred1952

the pundit on the BBC was so so adamant ... he was spouting on "Ive watched the replay loads of times and in my opinion is not a chance it is a penalty" ..as he said not a penalty the cheers the went up and the other commentator said, almost over him it is a ......
    cheered me up!