1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We are doing it right.

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by D.G.C., May 22, 2017.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I like most of the guys in that list but I don't get how you can say 'no' to two proven winners over guys who can put "survived relegation"/ "finished 14th" on their CVs.

We all saw the impacts the likes of Naybet, Davids and Gallas had on our sides over the years. To bring a couple more in at a time where we've been extremely close to winning a league title the past two seasons - something both have won multiple times, along with practically everything else in the game - would be absolutely priceless.

FWIW I'd like players from both ends of the spectrum, the likes of King, Maguire etc could flourish at a bigger a club but the winning mentality of Rooney/ Yaya would rub off on our team and give that extra boost when (hopefully) challenging near the top again next season.

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

.....or Mars Bar or big gooey Cake?

3. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

True, but the squad they would theoretically be coming into is superior in every department compared to the ones graced by Naybet, Davids and Gallas. How much would they really add?

Maybe it's just your choice of individual 'old heads' that I don't agree with. Rooney is so past it as a player that the media circus that would accompany him here just wouldn't be worth it. Far too much of a distraction. As for Toure, he has shown an evergreen leaf this season with some outstanding performances (he was immense in the semi final) and still has something to offer at the very top. However, track record points to the fact that he is a massive ego and her again, I don't think Poch has the patience to deal with players who spit their dummy out over a birthday cake.

Someone like Dani Alves ticks so many more boxes; vast experience, proven winner, proven class, not much of an ego and no media circus turning up at training every time he farts. Daniele De Rossi is another player I would LOVE to see at Spurs. Wait a second...his contract actually expires next month! LEVY!!!

4. Agree with much of what you say, but no thanks to Toure or Rooney. Would rather look for someone like Thomas Muller (or even Sami Khedira) from BM - although the former may be still too much in prime of career to lure away from Germany.

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

I'm glad that we've dealt with the Rooney issue, otherwise he'd be the elephant in the room.

6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Exhibit A of Rooney's winning mentality...

If he had an actual winning mentality, as opposed to a diving for penalties in the 90th minute mentality, he wouldn't have spent the past thirteen years finding new and exciting ways to flounce off the pitch every single time England fail to win a game and he certainly wouldn't keep bawling at his teammates because they didn't pass the ball to him (even though he was three yards offside and another teammate was in a better position)

That's not a winner's mentality, that's a combination of a win-at-all-costs mentality (which is a polite term for "cheat") and being a self-centred arse.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Oh yeah without a doubt, the talent here is ridiculous. This is head and shoulders above anything we've had in the Prem era, head and shoulders above anything we've had for about 30-40 years in fact but despite that quality, we've still yet to win anything of note for ages and I think having guys around the place who've won everything we keep dreaming of can only be good for team morale.

I think the ego side of players is a bit overplayed, Gallas had the reputation of an egotistical twat prior to joining us and the fact he played for both Arsenal and Chelsea didn't really appease to Spurs fans but once he joined, we saw the sort of player that had won many trophies and his leadership rubbed off on players. The knowledge he no doubt likely passed on to younger players would've also been invaluable.

Our very own Dele Alli has an ego, we probably just tend to turn a blind eye to it because he's 'ours'. No 20/21 year old has bollocks like he does, he knows he's quality and he's not afraid to show it on the pitch.

Rooney may not be everyone's cup of tea personality-wise but think about it, we're talking of a player who for years was England's best, with an English core at this club, our lads would welcome him with open arms and be ready to learn from anything he can teach them.

As for Yaya, the man's won trophies in near enough every country he's played in, for me bringing someone like that in if we had the chance would be a no-brainer. With Mousa's ongoing fitness troubles, being able to rotate those two (with Winks) would be immense.

Alves (who I've already mentioned) and De Rossi are more than welcome too.

8. humanbeingincroydon

I really can't see any reason Kane or Alli would welcome Rooney to the club with open arms, given that past it waste of space is the reason they've been played out of position in the England team for most of the past year.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Muller and Khedira would be dream signings but they're still in the prime of their careers at two of the very best clubs in world football, not only would they cost a bomb but their wages would be enormous.

The reason I've mentioned the likes of Yaya/ Rooney is that ones out of contract and one's not wanted at their club, so likely transfer fees will be nothing/ next to nothing which makes up for the high wages.

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

*Copied from Wiki*
    For me that speaks enough about the type of player Rooney is.

Alli has dived for penalties and free kicks, he's also known for winding up opposition players which can easily be attributed to cheating or at least a lack of sportsmanship but we often turn a blind eye to it because of how well he does and the fact he does all he can for Spurs.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Woy was definitely more to blame for the bollocksed way our players have been utilised. Southgate at least seems to understand that Alli, Kane and co are the future, Rooney didn't make the last squad either IIRC.

12. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

You forgot his most prestigious award *copied from public opinion*:

Twat of the Millennium, 20th and 21st Centuries.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Just an FYI, I'm not saying Rooney should be our number one target but merely he should be someone to take into consideration due to his illustrious career. There's a number of players out there with a similar winner's CV, he was just a name that popped into my head at the time.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

The 'Left His Talent in The Pub 5 Years Ago' Winner 2016/17?

Not Rooney.

If anyone else says Rooney....... I'm going to make them watch Sunday's 'goings on' at The Bridge.......in perpetuity.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

<laugh> No doubting nor denying Rooney was/ is a prick.

But this is football and whether you 'like' the guy or not, the man has done it all. We don't have a single player in our squad who can compare CVs with Rooney and come out not looking embarrassed.

16. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Rooney is a pantomime villain.
    It's easy to poke fun at him or find fault. He's not the type of player/person people aspire to be.
    He's also failed to make the best of the abilities he undoubtedly has (had). He could have emulated Cristiano Ronaldo.
    But what you always get with him is commitment, effort, desire and love of the game. He's played wherever he's been asked - usually not in his preferred position, he's one of few forwards who's as likely to be defending on the left side of his own penalty area as attacking in the middle of the opposition box. He also has vast experience.
    He has - at his best - been as good as most players you care to mention.
    I'm not sure he fits into a young Spurs team, but he's always been at his best with good players around him, on his own wavelength. You could do worse.

Dier Hard likes this.
  17. You missed off the fact he has done all that, but seemingly not learnt anything!! <doh> (For him, not you DH..... lol)
    No, Nien, Niet, Non, Neyn, Neh!! <laugh>
    So many awards, but so much hype and still more than polarises opinion. Would rather consider John Te........ - oh ****, what am I thinking??? <yikes>

18. humanbeingincroydon

Club
    Individual
    That's the CV of Wes Brown, a lot of which overlaps with Rooney's (as do the CVs of John O'Shea, Johnny Evans, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Kieron Richardson etc etc), and does that say he has a winner's mentality, or does that say he's won things? Because there's a clear difference, as one involves a player making their teammates rise above their level to win, the latter involves the ten players they had around them at the time. Or to put it another way, in a game of Top Trumps, Wes Brown is a more valuable card than Wayne Rooney due to having more FA Cup and Champions League wins.

It's his lack of anything on the international stage that shows up Rooney for what he is. Think of some of the players who actually do drag their national teams above their actual level of ability: Maradona and Messi for Argentina, Ibrahimovic for Sweden, Rafa Marquez for Mexico, and if you told me there's footage of Shevchenko literally dragging the entire Ukraine team up the pitch by the short and curlies to grind out a win I'd probably believe you. In comparison Rooney was nothing but a flat track bully at international level, smashing in goals against the international equivalent of Crystal Palace, but as soon as he was up against a team of a good standard (let alone a high one) he wasn't trying to rally the team like Stuart Pearce or Paul Ince or countless other players you could mention did over the years, instead he was as easy to find as Jeremy Hunt was during the NHS hack.

19. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Look at the individual awards of each player, does that not give a more definitive answer as to whether he's just been fortunate to have been in a winning side or if he's actually been instrumental and pivotal in those winning sides?

The international scene is way too complex to truly judge a player on. And in fairness to Rooney, he didn't really do much worse than Zlatan and Shevchenko.