1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

We’ll Go Strong at City – Stoke Boss Hughes

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 19, 2017.

1. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Tammy who?

2. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Sounds like Wiz may be heading back to The Gate in the not too distant future????

3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Would love a Man c or Man U at home or Spurs away at Wembley. Chances are we won't and will get someone like Norwich or Wolves away and go out

4. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

A great result no doubt, but for me more pleasing than the result is what appears to be a great squad harmony. We have almost completely changed sides again as we did against Watford and the players coming in have done exactly what was asked.

Perhaps dispensing of Pemberton and selling Tomlin has had a positive impact I don't know, but LJ and JM are doing something right at the moment!!

5. Supcon72

I agree, we always ask for a big team away but for once I'd like a big side at the Gate and give us our first 27k sell out at the ground. I think that would do far more for the club, fans and our perception to the football media than a trip to Manchester or London would.

6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Am I dreaming ?

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I congratulate our team and management for some excellent football results, we are having a good league cup run, we have beaten two moderate premier league sides and that is brilliant, we have won 3 league matches,drawn 4 and lost 1, our league position is 8th in the Championship, so far, so good, the winter is fast approaching, I hope we continue with our form and achieve our dream but we were all singing the same songs this time last year.

This is about on a par with last year and then we fell apart, now our players are more mature and have been improved by some new additions and moving other elements on, exactly the same could be said of our management structure, they should be more mature, have been improved by some new additions and moving other elements on, if any failures or disasters happen from here on out there is no where left to run or hide away, we know where to hang the blame and which hook to put the responsibility on and of course if we continue on the present course and success is achieved the same counts and plaudits should be given.

I love the the current achievments and am full of praise for LJ, the staff and players but I cannot forget the bitter taste of last year, the dismal run of defeats, the feeling of being pissed off every time I was leaving the ground , the shame of how we were, so for all the pro LJ people enjoy your moments of joy, enjoy mocking those of us who have or had the opposite point of view, the season has a long way to go, I really and honestly hope we have started the journey to success but life travels a hard road sometimes, I hope we all have a good season.

In the mean time to answer the question of my attendance record, I hasten to add I am of no importance individually to the City, I know that but it has been mentioned, I miss going to the game, I miss the stadium, the atmostphere, my mates and the buzz but I am genuinely spending weeks more down Cornwall in my bolt hole, with my wife and family and life is great.

So congrats to LJ and the team once again, I so want them to succeed , hit the top six and achieve all of our hopes and dreams..Up the City..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  8. Supcon72

A very fair assessment Wiz. I think you have copped some unfair flack this last week.
    People have their own views on LJ, but as you say the proof of how far we as a team and LJ as a manager is yet to be seen. I do believe he has learnt and the results from the end of last season and the start of this are testament to that. Comparing to our start last season isn't really all that helpful, we have to view the results and performances from when our bad run finished. The young players seem to be maturing and improving and I'm really impressed by how the squad has been rotated with no obvious detriment to performances and results so far. Great work by the whole management team and playing staff.

9. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Wiz, I, and I'm sure you were the same, felt exactly the same in the early 70's!! I know that was a long time ago, but that feeling never goes away.

Enjoy it as it is - you never know, we might be on the cusp!! Always been a pint half full me!! :1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down:

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Agree a fair assessment by Wiz.
    I admit I have been looking over my shoulder at last season - but that is more for a sanity check for myself, so that I don't get carried away - I know how horrible a bad run feels and last season's was awful - although for me personally, relegation is always far worse than a bad run with survival at the end.......

11. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Genuinely, I don't know where to hang the blame - depends on what happens surely?

Otherwise, spirits are as high as I can remember - obviously the 14/15 season was great, but doing well in the Championship is a greater aspiration. Undoubtedly, we'll have set-backs, which is to be expected; just as long they aren't as dramatic as last season! I think we have greater depth and stronger first 11 (if we can even decide what that is), so should avoid a similar capitulation.

I don't buy into the idea of 'consolidation seasons' per se, as it implies a club has the luxury of deciding when they'll be good enough to mount a promotion challenge, but given the team is young and that quite a few transfers were brought in and one would think would need time to gel, I was (and probably still am) prepared to accept merely a mid-table finish. However, if an unexpected opportunity comes along, then you need to give it all you've got, as you don't know for sure if you'll get a better chance anytime soon. When we reached the playoff final it was completely unexpected, and last season, no-one would've dreamt that Huddersfield would be promoted (they were amongst the favourites to be relegated in fact) - if we continue to ride this wave of optimism and it translates into results, then maybe we can dream a little too.

Another tough game this Saturday though, where we'd do well to get any points - we don't want to look foolish by getting ahead of ourselves now, only to fall back into negativity if things don't go our way.

manxrobin likes this.
  12. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Nice to see an opposition manager giving us credit - fair play to Mark Hughes <applause> - from the Stoke O/S:

“You have to commend Bristol City because they played well and affected us more than we affected them and they fully deserved to go through to the next round.

“We didn’t deserve anything on the night and need to be better than that. We know we have good qualities and are a decent side but every time you put the shirt on you have to be ready to go.

“We found it difficult to gain a foothold in the game and changed personnel and shape to try and affect them but if we are honest we need to affect the opposition not the other way round.

“At the end of the day we have come up short, acknowledged that it wasn’t the level we were capable of, and given credit to Bristol City because they played well tonight.”

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

TIC! running down his sides inability to put our performance in a "lesser light" ... rather than admit outright his side played quite well BUT WE WERE BETTER...

14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Wiz, you and I are on the same wavelength.
    I also miss the Stadium and the red shirt.
    But hey, I am who I am, and can't abide the Johnsons, or that Lansdown gave finances to Johnson that were nowhere to be seen when Cotterill gave us his best.
    I finished watching City last March - the results have only got better and better and happy the feel-good factor is alive at AG.

Long may it continue.

wizered likes this.
  15. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

ah the bad talisman ...hopefully you will keep away ..:emoticon-0105-wink:

16. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Redprintt,
    "But hey, I am who I am, and can't abide the Johnsons"
    Bet you loved Gary Johnson when he got us promoted, and so very nearly took us to the promised land.
    Like Wiz you don't go to the gate because of Junior, well at this moment in time that's great news for Bristol City and LJ, they seem to be playing very well in your absence, but hey, I bet your both dying to go, so go on, I promise i wont take the P**S.

17. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

As usual AD you are sniping, so full of froth and so very wrong.
    I miss the Ashton Gate thrill true but I'm so very happy with my different routines, the desire is to be with my family, not football, not jnr, I had forgotten over the years how different Saturdays can be, especially in Cornwall, broadband keeps me connected with football.

I keep trying to explain to you there is more important things to occupy me in my life than your hero Johnson jnr, to me he is just a servant of our club, good luck to the bloke.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  18. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Crippled Alice at home

19. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Bloody Crystal Palarse

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

City face Hodgson's Palace at the Gate
    Wednesday, September 20th 2017

City have been handed a home tie against Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup fourth round.

It means City face a Premier League club for the third successive round and sees the return of Roy Hodgson to Ashton Gate.

Hodgson spent a brief time in charge of the club during the cash crisis times of 1982. He has since gone on the likes of Inter Milan and Liverpool, as well as four countries: Switzerland, Finland, UAE and England.

The 70-year-old was appointed as the new Palace boss at the start of this month, following the axing of Frank de Boer.

Head coach Lee Johnson said: "We're delighted to have another home tie and we'll look forward to it when it comes around and give it nothing but our best."

The fourth round tie will be played on October 24th/25th.

FULL DRAW
    Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United
    Bristol City v Crystal Palace
    Swansea City v Manchester United
    Arsenal v Norwich City
    Chelsea v Everton
    Manchester City v Wolves
    Leicester CIty v Leeds United
    AFC Bournemouth v Middlesbrough
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-face-hodgsons-palace-at-the-gate/