1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Apr 15, 2019.

1. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I guess last season one the poorest season in living memory is the barometer in which you judge this season? We were shocking tonight and played with no passion and you tell me to look at the bigger picture? If we play like we did tonight in Naples, we definitely be dumped out of the Europey league!

2. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

No. Emery inherited a squad from the previous season, where we finished 6th. So it is only fair to judge him from the position Wenger left the club in and where Emery had to pick the squad up from.

The bigger picture is that we are in 4th place, we are favourites for 4th place, and we are have a healthy advantage going into the second-leg against Napoli. We'd just won a very tough away game against the FA Cup finalists and kept a clean sheet while we were at it.

You can talk about them being down to 10-men if you want, but I don't really care. That's Watford's fault, not ours. At the stage of the season, the performances are irrelevant. We need to rack up as many wins as we can.

I agree that we need to perform better if we want to progress to the Europa League semi-finals, but I think we will, as there were a number of players who were rested/came off the bench for 20-25 minute cameos.

Be a bit more positive. We are in a very good position.

PINKIE and winifred122 like this.
  3. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

4. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

So they beat us 5 passions to 0, and we won 1 goal to 0. I have to tell you, I am good with that. Lucky for us the game isn't scored in passions.

Also - we are at the second highest points total we have been after 33 games for the last 9 seasons. And only 1 point worse than 2014-15. Win 3 out of the last 5 games and we will have a 10 year high points total. That would have to go down as a massive success for Emery in his first season.
    https://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=england&stats=19-arsenal

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019