1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v W.B.A.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Mexican Hornet, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Watford v W.B.A.

Deeney and Prodl are pushing for a start after being on the bench for the win over Sunderland. Kaboul is out for Watford and is the only new injury to the list. A win would really take pressure of WM after a recent bad run of form before the win over the black cats lifted the hornets into 12th place and 7 point above the drop zone.

(From the BBC) MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head
    • Watford's 1-0 victory at The Hawthorns last season is their only triumph in the last 17 league meetings with West Brom (D7, L9).
    • The Hornets' most recent victory at home to the Baggies was in the FA Cup in January 2003, while they haven't won a home league game against them since November 1994.
    Watford
    • Watford's win over Sunderland on Saturday ended a run of four league games without a victory (D1, L3).
    • It was also their sixth league win at Vicarage Road this season, equalling their tally from 2015-16. They haven't won more than six in a top-flight season since 1986-87, when they managed 12 under Graham Taylor.
    • The Hornets have lost 10 of their 14 Premier League games against teams currently in the top half (W3, D1) and they haven't kept a clean sheet in any of those games.
    • Top scorer Troy Deeney could become the first Watford player to score in four consecutive Premier League home matches.
    West Bromwich Albion
    • West Brom have won just one of their last nine away games in the Premier League (D4, L4).
    • However, they have only lost two of their previous nine league matches home and away (W4, D3).
    • The Baggies have scored 14 Premier League goals from corners this season, four more than any other side.
    • Tony Pulis' side have only lost two of their 16 Premier League games this season against teams currently in the bottom half of the table (W9, D5).

2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Good luck to the Golden Boys! <ok>

3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

4. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Would like to see Janmaat come in for Kaboul (so Cathcart in at CB), and Deeney for Okaka - otherwise the same team and formation.

Can't make this one as year-end at work and no idea what time I will get out, so will be looking for a stream and following form home!

Can see it being a 0-0 or 1-0 either way. WBA will come to play defensively and play for set-pieces... which they are so effective from!

5. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter who they are playing, they come on the bus and park it in front of their goal until it is time to go home...........

6. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

I don't think we have a very good record against West Brom - so am not expecting too much from this. A win though would put us in a very strong position.

7. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

You're right - we don't. But watching this always gives me the feelgood factor - about 5:30 in, the result that saw us top of the league...

Markthehorn likes this.
  8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not at all confident about this one. We only just managed the three points Saturday by a single goal despite having chances to score more. I doubt that WBA will be quite as open as Sunderland.

9. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I think that Nyom and Foster will both have good games, or we'll score because of a mix-up between the pair of them.

10. Mexican Hornet

A win would really ease the stress, however, I´d happily take a point!

Markthehorn likes this.

11. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Lawro has us down to win 2-0.

<doh>

12. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0181-fubar Lawro :emoticon-0181-fubar

Nyom came in for some right stick from our end up at their place, people were going absolutely mental at him when he celebrated their third in front of us. I thought we were unlucky to get nothing from the game, not helped by some decidedly uneven dishing out of the cards on Pereyra and that unctuous toad McClean.:emoticon-0146-punch:headbang:. Alas they have improved as the season has gone on and we.... haven't.:emoticon-0147-emo:

I'm expecting nothing, as much as I'd like to see a McClean o.g. in the first minute, rapidly followed by a red card for him and a TD hat-trick to reduce the goal difference a bit.

13. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Like most here I'd take a point but we really should hope for more. It just seems like we need to be 3-0 before we get comfortable. With a one or two goal lead it seems like a big magnet pulls all our players back to our box. Possibly it would be better if they took an early lead. We just seem better when we charge forward.

But whatever I'm expecting a nail biting last 15 minutes with WM really annoyed jumping up and down in the technical area :headbang:

Anyway enjoy one and all. C'mon u'orns

ps Canary-dave I guess you are with us tonight as your guys have a must win tomorrow trip to Hudders. Good luck with that <cheers>

14. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Setting off at 4, hopefully the rush hour traffic will be OK, not something I normally need to consider...If we build on Saturday's performance, we can get a decent result tonight. COYH!

15. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Enjoy A1 horn. Very best of luck with the traffic and give a big shout for me. C'mon u'orns <cheers><applause><cheers><applause><cheers>:evil:

A1 Horn likes this.
  16. Mexican Hornet

Talksport asking if this is the most unappealing fixture in the Prem.

I knew we were bad to watch but surely, there is a lot worse out there at the moment as Saturday proved when Sunderland made us look good.

kchorn likes this.
  17. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

I guess it's the fact West Brom will just come and sit back against a team not exactly in form...

I remember this fixture from last year - West Brom was off the back of a couple of big defeats so they came for a draw, and it was awful to watch. We couldn't break them down and their first shot was right at the end (and should have won it for them)

18. northofwatfordpete

This is the game - win this and we are almost there - lose and it will be an anxious last 8 games. I still feel that 40 points is the minimum requirement this season.

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Team: Gomes (GK); Cathcart, Prödl, Britos, Holebas; Doucouré, Cleverley, Capoue; Niang, Amrabat; Deeney (c).

subs: Pantilimon, Mariappa, Success, Zúñiga, Janmaat, Okaka, D Pereira.

20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Watford v West Brom: Gomes (GK); Cathcart, Prödl, Britos, Holebas; Doucouré, Cleverley, Capoue; Niang, Amrabat; Deeney (c).