1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Watford v Southampton 13th January 2018

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Hornet-Fez, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

What would the headlines have been if it had been Deeney instead of Doucoure?

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Well it was Deeney who created the opportunity - I know he has a history of chasing his own passes, but don't think he's that good... :)

Deleted....... likes this.
  3. <laugh> There'd be people writing to the club demanding his sale.

4. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Or Gray - people would have complained about how he managed to miss it with his head!

Troy would have taken ball and goalie at same time - and had the goal ruled out for a foul !

5. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Looks like Doucoure has got away with this.

The FA aren't even going to do anything. That's shocking.

No apology from him either. I feel sorry for Southampton, if they went down by a point, just imagine. If we stay up by one <doh> is more likely given recent form.

VAR needs to come to the Prem ASAP, it worked well in the FA Cup tonight.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

He obviously did the correct thing by respecting the officials decision. I expect he is not sorry that he managed to score for Watford, we all know the goal should not have stood but these things happen in football. I would be disappointed if the Saints were relegated due to the decision but not as much as if he had owned up and Watford went down.

7. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

The hand of sod, not as good as the hand of god.

8. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well I don't think they can do anything regarding handball ..

Maybe it's something the FA can look at?

Even now someone seems to only be punished for diving if its in the penalty area and a "foul" is given..

As for VAR - it's a good idea and worked tonight but how will people react when it's used in a really big game with big name managers and players ..

Would you see Wenger, Conte, Klopp and co accept the decision made by the VAR?

Deleted....... likes this.
  9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

No double standards old nick, finally crawled out from whatever rock you've been hiding under, I see. And when I criticise referees it's from an educated and experienced viewpoint. About time we had key a decision go in our favour, and for that reason I didn't give a damn. And still don't. Like many others here I wasn't convinced that it was deliberate at the time (still not convinced) and either the officials came to that conclusion or both he and his assistant missed it which is worse.
    Some of the officiating has been woeful this season from the Chavski corner, to the Dier handball and at least -at least - four clearly offside goals awarded against us this season, the van Aanholt assault on Pereyra and notwithstanding two stonewall penalties for all but ripping the shirt off Okaka in the last 16 minutes or so. Until these things are adjudged correctly, or things really do even themselves up <laugh> then please keep the sanctimonious moralistic bleatings to yourselves. Is it fair? Probably not. Football isn't, in case you hadn't noticed.

10. superhorns

I totally agree Doucoure did the right thing in not interfering with the officials decision on the 'handball' goal.

However I am now concerned that in future games this season referees will subconsciously have in their minds, during vital split decision making occurrences, the unfair advantage Watford gained with this awarded goal. Hopefully I'm dead wrong!! :emoticon-0107-sweat

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Welcome back oldnick.... .how are things with you?

BTW I think the only ethics our friend has are 'business ethics' ;)

12. superhorns

fool

13. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I think we should bring this to a close as it is all conjecture, it is quite obvious to me from the replay that if Decoure had not touched the ball in any way it would have hit the goalie and gone in for an own goal........... obvious init? <whistle>:rolleyes:

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  14. Bolton's Boots

Well the goalie certainly wouldn't have caught the ball - he was standing there arms & legs akimbo...

15. oldnickhornet

oldnickhornet Active Member

Classy stuff Mr Fez,but 'bleating'is when people give instances of all the examples of 'ooo we've been so wronged' but are too blinkered to mention instances where bad decisions are given FOR their club (of course that probably never really happens eh!).
    Unless you are Mr /Ms Not 606 themself,what complete pomposity for one individual to tell someone else to keep thoughts to themself because it doesnt happen to agree with your well thought out.sporting views.

Mr Yorkshire,fine thanks...but I note there are still too many games you attend that the team end up losing !!

16. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Good to see someone else who doesn't think our team always receives poor decisions and the opposition is always favoured. Disagreeing with an occasional refereeing decision is one thing; regularly blaming referees for defeats is one-eyed. Each time someone dives, tries to get someone else booked or pretends a handball didn't happen means a few more people fall out of love with the game.

17. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

This debate could run and run! I used to believe fervently in 'players doing the right thing'. But I realise that is hopelessly naive. In fact if the players did the right thing There would be no need for referees.
    What I have decided is that I never want to be in dispute (e.g. A car accident) with a professional footballer. They even appeal for throw-ins when it's obvious who kicked it out. The incessant appealing for everything makes them look like spoilt children- oh, of course, that's what most of them are. Bah. Rant over.

Scullion and Deleted....... like this.
  18. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

And do we think that VAR would have given us the two stonewall penalties then we will have robed them of 3 points not 2 PLUS i have yet to see any hand to ball .All i can see is him running in trying to head the ball and the ball hits his hand .I know its not easy for some of us to live in the real world .I dislike us time wasting ( and we are not that good at it as we get silly bookings for it) but i know its part of the game .

19. Bolton's Boots

Roger East and his linesman Derek Eaton - the one who had a clear view of the 'handball' incident - have both been stood down from EPL duties for the coming weekend for "allowing Doucoure's handball goal."

According to the Sun that is...

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  20. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This debate could go on forever about fairplay. I do not think that Doucoure handled the ball deliberately - but at the same time he did not go up in my estimation by consequently celebrating a goal which he knew wasn't one. This was deceitfull and calculated to support the idea that it was a good goal, and to sway the referee's decision. I know this happens all the time, but I still reserve the right to withhold respect from such a player. Goals scored with the hand have not been uncommon (and sometimes they have looked deliberate) - from Maradona, from Lionel Messi, Aguerro and from Puyol - all great players, but all a bit diminished in my estimation as a result.