1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread WATFORD v EVERTON

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Feb 7, 2019.

1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

I heard this morning from a friend whose friend was attacked by Everton supporters yesterday near the cemetery in Vic Road. He is sadly currently in Watford General with a bleed on the brain. I do not any more details.

Fingers crossed he fully recovers.

Scullion and Markthehorn like this.
  2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

know any more details.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I sincerely hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. Memories of Nick at Wolverhampton will remain with all decent fans, and I do not want to see a return to the days of fighting between fans.

yorkshirehornet and Markthehorn like this.
  4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

5. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

This is the problem with Clubs who were "big clubs" 50 years ago and cannot come to terms with being 2nd rate clubs who are lucky to be holding on to their place in the Premier League
    If the reports were true that a coachload of Everton scum attached a small group of Watford supporters they should be banned from all away matches for at least the rest of the season and a points deduction would not go amiss
    What is it with Liverpool's football fans "Liverpool and Everton) that they think they are the greatest fans with the best football teams and it's their god given right to be supporting winning teams
    I now hope Liverpool choke (as usual) and blow their chance of glory and Everton get relegated
    Rant over

andytoprankin and brian_66_usa like this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is certainly true that some fans from these once successful clubs are finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact they have no right to always be successful. Reading some of the comments from an Everton fans forum, they cannot see why they should lose to a second rate tin pot little club like Watford. The depression on that forum was very heavy, with not a good word to say about owners, manager or players. Maybe we are lucky to know that we are fortunate to be having a good season, rather than expect it should always be like that. The bigger you are the harder you fall.

brian_66_usa and yorkshirehornet like this.
  7. duggie2000

Very true OFH
    I am glad to be Watford supporter and not a paranoid supporter of a so called big club
    Next season it could be Leeds

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  8. yorkshirehornet

Agreed... We are eighth and having a brilliant season.. They are ninth and having a **** season.. And being realistic the best they could hope for is probably seventh.. Such small margins

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Interesting that you've managed to drag Liverpool into this as well. A comparison would be if all London football fans were tarnished by the activities of some at Millwall and West Ham.

10. duggie2000

They both have the same arrogance and mental attitude to their basic right to winning football matches
    In the eighties I had plenty of opportunities to see first hand the cheating tactics of the Liverpool teams and the attitude of their supporters
    Nothing has changed
    If anything Liverpool were the worst of the two
    You really should change your tag to Agent Provocateur

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you wrote except for the side swipe at the end. Yes there is a false equivalence: to compare London with any other city is begging for an argument and especially when it comes to football.

12. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

TBH From what I read it doesn't sound like some of the Watford fans involved were totally blameless angels banging on windows shouting stuff but then I guess that is part of the game whereas being attacked by drugged up (the guys arrested had cocaine on them it seems according to the police) jumping off the coach to react isn't...

I agree they certainly seem to have an expectation to be the best of the rest despite not really doing much for 20 years or so - one cup final I think it is in that spell and a couple of top 5 finishes.

Mind you Newcastle fans are the same and they haven't won anything since 1969!

And are a long way from doing so again...

They are all bitter of course that Man C/Chelsea have got the money and moved ahead of them in the race for success.

13. colognehornet

It's not a case of being an agent provocateur - your post was as a result of an attack by a small number of Everton fans, which you managed to link to Liverpool FC. As meaningless a conclusion as if I used an attack by Millwall fans as a way of getting at Spurs or Chelsea because they come from the same city.

14. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

The guy with the fractured skull is in his 60's. Not convinced he was banging on windows and, as you rightly point out, that's no excuse to go head caving.

brian_66_usa and Markthehorn like this.
  15. colognehornet

Long periods of lack of success for famous football clubs is nothing new Mark. Man. Utd didn't win anything during the 70s and 80s but it didn't stop them still being a great club - Real Madrid also went through a very long barren spell over the same period (and longer). There is a certain resentment about how modern football has let the cat out of the sack as far as finances are concerned and clubs are now capable of buying their way to the top. Man. City, Chelsea, Paris St. Germaine have all done this (City admittedly also have the advantage of a very charismatic manager who will always attract the best players). The situation is even more dramatic when famous clubs like Celtic, Ajax, Benfica and Anderlecht can all be frozen out of a place in the elite of European football, simply because millionaires do not invest in their leagues.

16. duggie2000

The one thing we can all agree on is that we are Watford and would not swap our little club for any of the big clubs
    I wonder if our outlook would change if the Pozzos investment and contiinued ground improvement enabled us to become a top six club instead of our current ambition to be a top ten side
    Just imagine Gary Lineker choking on MOTD, that alone would make it worth while

17. I agree with you. We can all have a go at Liverpool for any reason - no need to drag them into a conversation criticising another club <monster>

18. colognehornet

We all have our pet hates Dan <laugh> This is part and parcel of being a football fan - for the record mine are Chelsea and Luton in that order. I really can't work up any real dislike for Man. City, despite their position and money, because their fans are generally ok. and their manager is an absolute gem. After all the rancour moaning, and psychological warfare of the Mourinho's and Wengers of this World it is refreshing to see 2 managers at the top who actually like each other.

Deleted....... likes this.
  19. yorkshirehornet

For me it is very different having lived and worked in Liverpool..... I would never be in fear of attack..... but you could be robbed by a smiling laggard and not realise it....

20. colognehornet

For the record. Imagine that you arrive alone wearing your teams colours walking to a stadium for an away match - which stadium would be the safest, and which would be the most dangerous ? For the latter, stadiums like Millwall, Stoke City, West Ham, Burnley, Wolves and, for us, Luton. I too have spent a great deal of time in Liverpool but have not experienced the mortal fear of being attacked there. The assumption appears to be that if a so called 'big club' has not achieved success for a few years then it makes their fans more dangerous as a result. It could be that fans of Leeds Utd, Aston Villa, Sunderland etc. feel that they shouldn't be visiting grounds like Burton Albion for league matches, but does this make them more dangerous as a result ? Certainly not in Sunderland's case.