1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread WATFORD v BRIGHTON

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Bootiful. 3 points and a clean sheet with a solid performance to boot.

4/4/2 was the line up, wasn't it?

Hornet-Fez and Markthehorn like this.
  2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just a few of the things I noticed today. Foster made a couple of great passes of 40 or 50 metres, something I had forgotten he was capable of. Cathcart always seemed to anticipate things, while Kabasele showed just how quick he really is. While Holebas couldn't resist getting a yellow card, his crossing from corners was so much better than it was at the end of last season. Doucouré started of at a steady pace, not surprising after missing all pre-season, but seemed to get stronger as the game went on. Capoue and Hughes both worked their socks off, something you couldn't always say last season about Capoue. And finally Deeney and Gray showed signs of a proper partnership up front, with Gray looking a lot happier than he did as a lone striker.

Just my opinion viewing from the small screen and listening to Jon Marks rather than a commentator from Slovakia.

A1 Horn and Mexican Hornet like this.
  3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

two great goals...

4. He was excellent. Just wish we could keep him fit...

5. Mexican Hornet

First one showed incredible technique.

6. Mexican Hornet

Have seen the highlight and a fair few comments. Spoke to my mate, who is a Brighton fan and went today, he said they were dire. Just as well, we needed those points, 37 more and done deal! ijjijijijijiji

7. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

i just hope we can keep him

8. Mexican Hornet

your man's English is really good hey, he's improved a lot, fair play to JG.

Deleted....... likes this.
  9. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

I’m glad to say my 1-1 prediction was way off. Listened to Jon Marks on the beach in Menorca. The result was never in doubt. How often in a season can we say that?! A rather pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon!

andytoprankin likes this.
  10. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Terrific performances all over the park. No shots on target tells its own story. Seemed to me that there was a complete change of attitude in that having got the lead (what a hit!) we stayed positive and scored a deserved second (beautiful technique) and went looking for the third rather than trying to shut up shop and invite them on to us. I haven't been so relaxed about a performance since I don't know when!

We're Brighton poor or did we make them look so? Time will tell, but I think it's the latter. Three positive substitutions, Success looks like he's got his head screwed on the right way round this term and Sema shows promise. We kept asking questions, kept probing and they had no answers.

More of the same next weekend please Hornets!

11. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone got anything to say about the ref, Jon Moss? I quite like the way he tries to keep the game flowing, and yesterday he had an easy game without any nasty tackles to deal with. Somehow though when I watch him he seems to let things go, while stamping down on the trivial. One of the yellow carded players could have been sent off for a second offence, but received a talking to, with what looked like a final warning. Maybe a better way to handle a game than reaching into the pocket for another card.

12. I couldn't agree more. And I hate to be rude but for me he seemed a bit off the pace and not exactly in the best of physical conditions.

Chris 13 likes this.
  13. It was great wasn't it? Last season we'd still have been worried at 2-0 up. Much more relaxed atmosphere and the players were far more positive. Will Hughes was very good again yesterday - he appears physically incapable of going backwards at times!
    I also got a bit of a kick out of seeing Ben Foster appearing to be so happy about being back at the club. He would probably do that whoever he played for but we can dream!

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.
  14. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Well he isn't the slimmest of chaps is he anyway..

And did the Community Shield last week so surprised Mr Moss wasn't given the day off.

15. Markthehorn

16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

What was especially pleasing about Foster was his distribution. Only Kasper Schmeichel can kick the ball as hard and as accurately for my money... one goal kick in particular nearly put Gray in. It's a welcome additional weapon.

17. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

In "The fan's verdict" in the Daily Mail the Brighton fan wrote the following for "Star man": Chris Woakes. His century at Lord’s at least gave us something to cheer!

Markthehorn likes this.
  18. Mexican Hornet

We´re second to last on for the highlights.

19. Markthehorn

Good thing about the Brighton fans and management was that they were honest and said we deserved to win etc.

I could see some bigger teams making all sorts of complaints and excuses had that been them.

20. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Well that's an improvement and we got more than 2 minutes although the highlights gave Brighton a bigger share of the highlights than they derserved perhaps.