1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread WATFORD v BRIGHTON and HOVE ALBION

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Aug 7, 2019.

1. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Yeah, there’s no way that was a ‘natural position’ for his arm - he was making himself wider. It had nothing to do with propelling himself up or keeping himself up, it was to stop that curling ball and it did. Very poor of the VAR to bottle it. It was Madeley, though, so what am I expecting? <doh>

2. A1 Horn

A1 Horn Well-Known Member

Just seen it too. Am a fan of VAR but have started to lose faith already if that’s not a pen. Ball struck from far enough away to be able to get arm out of the way, arm away from body and arm to ball movement <confused>

andytoprankin and oldfrenchhorn like this.
  3. andytoprankin

Spot on. Well, that’s where the ball should’ve been placed. ;)

4. Flittonhorn

Flittonhorn Well-Known Member

Thank you guys :emoticon-0148-yes:

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  5. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in true football style the season ticket holder next to me predicted we would lose and they would score against the run of play if we didn't equalise by half time.. And then spent the entire second half confirming he was right to all around him....
    And I left home at seven forty five this morning for a Ninety minute earful of those words of wisdom..
    Remind me to never ever strike up a friendly conversation with the person sitting next to me at home games.

andytoprankin likes this.
  6. andytoprankin

I make that mistake with my Dad.

7. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I remember the FA said they weren't going to be as strict on handball as the European refs have been but its so contentious generally.

8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On reflection I think that Brighton came to do a job on our midfield by packing the area with an extra man, and jumping on them quickly, disrupting our pass it around game. It worked for them, and we looked bereft of ideas of what to do. Just when are we going to play we more intensity kept going through my mind, but it never happened.

9. andytoprankin

Not so strict with handball, but really strict as to which part of Sterling’s shoulder was offside. <doh>

Hornet-Fez and Markthehorn like this.
  10. theghost

theghost Active Member

How not to be ready to start the season. Felt like a friendly for us, completely pedestrian, long balls to often, front four constantly trying to flick it to each other when blatantly surrounded by defenders and Dawson hasn’t given me any confidence that our defence is going to dramatically improve either. Rubbish all round.

andytoprankin and Markthehorn like this.

11. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

Sorry to write this but it was pretty disappointing all round. BHA seemed prepared to stifle us, and wait for opportunities - which we duly handed them.
    In fact the whole day was a 'mare. Train at 9-15, no toilets. Joined up with one at Brum - toilets permanently occupied. Not allowed to change trains as I have an'Advance' ticket. My 'phone has developed a temperature fault - so I missed meeting up with my lunch and seat partner. Pub we go to has changed its menu so lunch now very limited. But at least it took less than an hour to arrive, which I guess is an improvement. Miserable time watching last years team - pretty much - playing like we finished last season. Then trains home messed up 'cos of trees on the line - apparently. Home 2130 (hour late).
    I think our defence is shaky with Femenia in - much as I like his forward runs. Hughes didn't contribute much. Success just annoys people. Deeney got nothing against their 3 giants at the back, Gray never found any space and the passes to him seemed to find their players. GD looked (I thought) the one most likely to get us something, and RB looked ok too. Lack of a Plan B seemed the biggest concern.
    However, on the bright side. BHA got a fortunate first goal, and 2 breakaways - well taken though they were.
    I always wait until 5 games have passed before forming a judgment. (Last year I thought we were going to do a Leicester having seen first 4 games !).
    Hey ho.

12. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, where in Crete , a favourite place of ours.

Both my wives when they read my stuff pull the grammar and spelling to bits rather than read what I am actually trying to say and if it makes sense, most annoying.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  13. Markthehorn

Indeed too slow and trying to almost walk the ball in past a stubborn back line .

Unlike us teams like Brighton and Palace do have organised defences to fall back on if they cannot attack well..

14. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Ironically we had more corners , more attempts on goal and the same number of shots on target, so could have gone the other way, but we did not look as organised or up for it as they did

15. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

FFS.

One of my good mates is a Brighton fan and went.

Sometimes, it is best to be out of the limelight, we can get bummed and try to get on with it now.

It was RUBBISH today.

16. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

Dyslexia is an anagram of daily ...!

17. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

One of those days. If it could go wrong, it did... even the VAR went against us, at 0-1, which was a travesty although I am sure we'd have missed the penalty and lost anyway. That kind of day, we got what we deserved from a well organised but bang average BHA. Bad day at the office, as the saying goes. Ho hum.

We move on.

18. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

Watford out of bottom three curtacy of Chelsea! :)

And yes, we were done out of a var penalty :(

Hornet-Fez and andytoprankin like this.
  19. Markthehorn

Deeney said it was the best he felt going into a season and never had been more excited ...

Opps !

Foster seemed to suggest the players were complacent too .

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe it will bring them down to earth and realise that it is not going to get easier next week.