1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford Short News Items

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

So basically we’ll never see him ?

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure that Serbia being granted EU status will make any difference - aren't the post-Brexit rules regarding EU players are just the same as the pre-Brexit rules for non-EU players - a points-based system? Which would mean that, if he was eligible for a work permit, he'd already have one - and if he's not on loan anywhere he's hardly likely to be granted one.

3. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

He was signed before we left the EU , that was my thought that at the time the club thought he would be eligible but now, who knows.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There has been talk about the state of some of the pitches, and here the Watford groundsman gives an insight into what has been happening.

Just wanted to clear something up as I have received a lot of messages on the subject of other teams pitches as well as having seen a lot of other tweets on the same subject. Covid struck last year and plunged football into uncertainty. It just stopped and we had no idea when it would return. Do we renovate pitches? Do we wait and see what happens then risk not renovating at all? Some did, some didn’t! Either way we then played through the summer which doesn’t happen in England. It’s our window to prepare our pitches for the long season ahead and more importantly winter weather. As a result of covid, fixture lists are condensed. Pitches need recovery time that they are not getting. Budgets play a part in quality of pitches of course, but would you plough money into a pitch not knowing when your next income is likely to be?
    Money aside.... rest assured, the Groundsmanship industry is full of incredibly dedicated and passionate people that work in all weathers, unsociable hours, generally underpaid (across the board) and to precise deadlines regardless of weather. That 3pm kick off time doesn’t move just because you’ve had 6 inches of snow and minus 6 degrees all week. You still have to be ready! As football fans we need to appreciate the dedication and hours spent manicuring (or just making good from the last game) by groundsmen up and down the country is all for our enjoyment. To watch our teams battle it out every week. Bringing joy to people in very difficult times. So yes some of the pitches look **** but believe me the staff at those venues are doing everything in their power to make sure the pitches are safe for players and ensure you have something to watch every Saturday at 3pm

Scullion likes this.
  5. Bolton's Boots

Doesn't explain how ours is looking so good though. Modesty precludes him from commenting?

Markthehorn likes this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

If I remember the club did lay a new pitch a little while ago and logic would say that you continued to spend enough to really look after your asset. My brother in law lives in Oxhey and has said how often he has noticed the glow at night coming from the ground when they have the pitch lights on. Not every club in the Championship has had the money from the PL to invest in such things. Watching Hive extra last night you could see the ground staff out working on the pitch. My guess was they were hoping for a day off today.

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  7. Markthehorn

Ben has a rival on and off the pitch !

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

9. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

I can't see Ben replacing him anytime soon

Maybe the Gomez role for Ben from now on, but Ben has been brilliant for us and deserves a place in Watford folklore

10. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

I have no idea which of the two is the best goalkeeper. Bachmann hasn't had a lot to do in the last few games.

duggie2000 and Markthehorn like this.

11. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

What a great position to be in having to chose between the two of them

yorkshirehornet and Markthehorn like this.
  12. Markthehorn

Scullion likes this.
  13. Chris 13

This is a Google translation of a radio interview with our football director Cristiano Giaretta , some is of interest some not so:
    ds of Watford, spoke at the Open Stadium, broadcast by TMW Radio with Francesco Benvenuti and Niccolò Ceccarini: "We had lost some ground, but recently we have regained it. Especially yesterday, at Preston, it is one of the victories in able to give morale to the team: we hope to be more consistent in the results, in the Championship if you don't win often you lose contact very soon. " How does weekly work change? "A lot in the prevention and recovery structure: playing two games a week you always have to prepare, play and recover. On injury prevention we have a large staff of sports scientists and physiotherapists. A job that is decidedly more complex, but I think there are the potential to try to win this championship ". How did you review Bruno Fernandes? "Exciting to find him on the pitch (in the FA Cup, ed). We remember above all when, at 18, I received him in Novarello. Water under the bridges has passed, he was very good and continues to aspire to be the best, does not stop ". At what point is Masina in his career? "I'm glad to talk about it because he came back from the injury he had in September, and he did it great. Many players, in delicate roles like that of the left-back, mature later: he is 26 years old, and he can go back to being that one. important player we met in Italy ". Ken Sema is even more advanced today. "He made the winger in the 4-4-2, now that we use the 4-3-3 he is in the attacking three. He affects, last game he scored a brace: goals or assists, he always knows how to create dangers there up front. I see him ready for the Premier League. " Pussetto got injured. Who of the former Watford is doing better in Udine? "I'm sorry for Pussetto. Instead I'm happy for Deulofeu, he is returning to being the top player he has always been: he shifts the balance of Udinese, but he would do it anywhere in Italy. I know that he is also doing very well physically." Are Joao Pedro and Sarr also temperamentally structured? "I would say yes. Joao Pedro has considerable potential, and here he is confirming himself. In attack he can occupy any role, both in the center and wider: he is flexible and I see him suitable for a top club." Lazaar has also had a career of ups and downs. What slowed it down? "First of all he is a splendid guy, he came with contagious enthusiasm and is delighted to be here. If he looks back on his career, perhaps, he has to evaluate some mental aspects, to have made some choices instead of others. But he still has time. to recover his career, because the player is not discussed. I repeat this thing to him every day, he has a great chance ". Will De Paul go to a big one? "He feels like a leader, he is a captain on and off the pitch and for me he is even among the strongest players in the world. We'll see what will come in the summer: certainly in front of certain requests you can't ignore it, but now there is concentration only on Udinese ". There is a need for players like this in Serie A. "Certainly those of quality like him are important to be able to keep them in Italy". How much of Guardiola is there in today's Cancelo? "Guardiola has always influenced a lot, he knows how to get the most out of the players. If you can work on individuality, the players improve." Is the ranking in the Championship true? "I would say yes. There is a bit of distance with Middlesbrough, and from Cardiff upwards I think they are the same.

14. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Doubt TD9 will be playing again for a while:

Watford FC
    Club captain Troy Deeney is being closely monitored by the medical team after a scan showed some achilles tendon damage sustained during the Coventry City game at St. Andrew's on February 6.
    A Sky Blues' defender fell onto the skipper's lower leg at St. Andrews a week last Saturday, yet the Hornets' Number 9 dismissed it as a minor knock at the time and battled through the game - even going closest to scoring the game's only goal with a late looping header which came back off the far post.
    Deeney will be in an immobilising plastic boot for an initial two weeks, to allow the first part of the healing process to take place, then a second scan will take place to assess what the next steps should be for rehab.
    “It's not unusual for me to get on with it sometimes; to have an injection and play with a little injury or two. Sometimes it's to my detriment longer term and sometimes it can look like I'm not giving it my all. But anyone who has any idea about me and Watford knows how much I want the best for everyone here.
    “I'm not going to be around until I'm out of that boot, but as soon as I can get to the games I'll be doing what I would expect a captain to do; being as big a support as I can be to the gaffer and the lads.”

Hope Pedro / Perica can stay fit. Even Success back would add something to the ranks.

Markthehorn likes this.
  15. Bolton's Boots

A worry for him, but a least it's just 'some damage' rather than a complete snap, so he may not be out for too long.
    I snapped mine playing squash years ago - three months in full leg plaster followed by three months of daily physio before I could play again. During that physio period, I remember getting up early one morning to watch the Scotland v Australia World Cup qualifier on TV - spent the whole match jogging on a mini rebounder.

16. Markthehorn

Sort of injury than can niggle and not an ideal problem for someone who has a lot of power and likes to jump off the floor in physical combat.

As you say hopefully the other strikers can stay fit.

Success seems to be in training but not selected .

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I snapped mine playing tennis, and despite there never being a problem since I still treat it with care. It stays in the back of the mind when you are walking along an uneven surface.

18. Markthehorn

And at 33 Troy won’t be getting any younger and dare I say fitter .

He struggles a bit anyway with the latter .

19. Chris 13

I think he may retire at the end of the season

Markthehorn likes this.
  20. Markthehorn

He is out of contract I believe and the club might feel they need to move on or certainly if he did stay Troy would have to take a pay cut .