1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford Short News Items

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

It is hard to take but I really don't understand the blame culture evident in the comments section of the article.
    Sportsmen get injured, no two injuries are the same, people recover at different rates and the slightest of knocks can set back recovery - knocks totally unrelated to playing or training. It's just a fact of life & I find it silly to hear people saying things such as 'heads must roll and now' as though they were medical experts.

I did appreciate one comment though - "Are Carillion running our sick bay?" <laugh>

Deleted....... likes this.
  2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

It is impossible for us supporters to judge the competence of our medical staff and /or training methods but we have certainly suffered a much higher than average loss of players through injury.

Is it just bad luck or inferior staff / methods?

Duncan Wellbourne would have played with a broken leg without any hesitation.!!! :emoticon-0105-wink:

3. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

He probably suffered a set back - it has been very cold and not the best time to be suffering from muscle injuries.

I think it's the lack of communication people get frustrated about.

Britos has been out since November with a "bruised foot"

4. Bolton's Boots

5. HHTFC1

HHTFC1 Well-Known Member

I have a theory, but without any technical foundation I may get laughed at!! I think the high number of injuries are possibly caused by the training surfaces we have..I am pretty sure they were "upgraded" to match quality some time ago. I wonder if they take their toll on players with the artificial weave, meaning the players are subjected to impacts and forces that normal grass does not inflict.

Anyway, just a theory

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  6. Bolton's Boots

7. Markthehorn

Teams know how to mark him now.

8. Bolton's Boots

Yes - they do appear to surround him with 2-3 players. Mind you, that's all the more reason to play 2 or even 3 up front & exploit the gaps.

But he does need to develop another strategy, rather than simply falling over and scowling/feeling the back of his head whilst halfheartedly appealing for a free kick.

9. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I think that might just be part of the problem - 'It has been very cold'. 6 of our squad had never played north of the Alps before coming to us and it is a good guess that Richarlison (who had never played outside of Brazil) had never seen snow before. Is it just coincidence that our bad runs normally begin around mid winter ?

10. Bolton's Boots

Possibly so - but that wouldn't account for Vydra's winter hibernation a couple of seasons back...

11. Bolton's Boots

12. Markthehorn

Is that a good reason though ?

After all backroom staff change all the time with new coaches .

13. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Among the many reasons for one's team of professional footballers not playing very well, being cold would not carry much conviction with me! What next? The new shirt itches? My boots are a bit tight? The manager sighed when I missed a tackle? The pre-match pasta was very slightly too al dente for my taste? <laugh>

Deleted....... and Toby like this.
  14. oldnickhornet

oldnickhornet Active Member

All very likely Theo,dont think any of us want to go back to the days when us on the terraces could have been earning more than those on the pitch and they got little respect generally,but now once the players got a contract he's the boss-with the considerable help of an agent.With a club like Watford with such a large turnover you're unlikely to get much allegiance though are you

15. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

16. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Not a lot, Nick. No desire to go back to the days of Woodbines, rattles and cloth caps...though the rattles were fun! Good to hear from you!

17. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

We should be wearing red shirts not grey

18. Markthehorn

19. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see how many are consistent 'offenders'.

You do have the over-75 group who will miss a set amount of games, but the club have tried to combat that with asking them to inform when they can't make the game so they can resell their ticket. They have now done the same with any season ticket holder, where they will get a credit for next seasons ticket

Every game you will get some people who can't make it but seems there is a lot every game rather than just unfashionable games or seasonal ones

20. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Would you play your best on a bone hard pitch at over 90 degrees Theo ? If not then why expect a Brazilian to play his best in an English winter - especially if he's never experienced one before. They are humans, and I know from experience that living in another country is interesting but also strenuous. Couple all this with home sickness, not being able to use their native language with other than a few people, if that, not having their families with them etc.etc. all leads up to not performing at maximum ability. How long would it take an average (and the players we get from the south are only average) English league player to adapt and play his best in Italy, Spain or Brazil ?