1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Watford History

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Sep 2, 2021.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder where people put Gomes in the list of keepers?

2. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Very high. Super keeper.

duggie2000 likes this.
  3. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

As was Almunia. I doubt too many keepers have been immortalised for just five seconds of their careers.

4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

In cycling terms I suppose one could say: never mind the leader, look at the peloton!

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. andytoprankin

Does that put the Cycling GK at the top then? ;)

Actually, joking aside, they are a fantastic array - no wonder we are all so proud of them. Few clubs could have a discussion like this, I suggest. In the sense that, it’s presumably our strongest field position in terms of history? What do you people think of that? For instance, I think the best RW and LW are moderately short discussions. Also CF. Midfield, we’ve had some great players, but do they outshine the rest of the team? Defenders - many gooduns, but again, is that an area where we think we have been unduly strong? I think we’ve punched well above our weight in the GK position, is the long and short of my point. Thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Bolton's Boots and Hornet-Fez like this.
  6. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Yes I want to hear about your only international appearance. Were you on the pitch longer than Chalobah?

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.
  7. Bolton's Boots

Speaking of the short of it, I always thought Bert Slater was up there amongst our best.

8. andytoprankin

I know the name, but he predates me.

9. Bolton's Boots

10. andytoprankin

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

12. andytoprankin

How lovely to see Bennyboy come on and share his delight.

13. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I played a full game -just.
    In 1970, at the peak of my playing career, strangely not recorded in the FA Musuem , my beloved wife and I set off on summer hols for Switzerland in our Mini Traveller to stay with the afore-mentioned wonderful supporter of football Mike Rance MBE and his wife. They were living in Zurich, whilst he did a post-doc. (Clever fellow !)
    When we arrived, in a dodgy suburb ( worth a story in itself) , the first thing Mike said was... Have you brought your boots ? My beloved replied - 'Don't be silly - of course not' whereupon I produced them from underneath the car seat. ( Amazingly, we are still married).
    So, I was recruited to play in a University match - pretty high level, as the ref. was a Swiss league referee. ( I suspect however, that they used top referees for insurance purposes. The Swiss are obsessed with insurance) . And I played - in my usual position of Left back , which meant taking no prisoners - Paul Robinson would have learnt much from my videos ,sadly all lost. I wonder why ? No I don't.
    All went well, we were leading 1-0 ( from a masterful cross from a marauding run down the left wing from ... ) when , inevitably, I got booked. Another brilliant scything tackle, perfectly acceptable in South Notts when the ref was more than likely a PC in a rough area of Nottingham, less so in the pretty- pretty world of Swiss football. This is where it became difficult. In Switzerland, all players had to be registered before the season started. (Insurance again). So I was playing instead of another - UK fortunately - player who was on holiday. No problem, except I had no idea who I was supposed to be. None whatsoever. At the last second, as the refs English was clear enough, however I much I tried 'Ich verstehe nicht' and he detected a large rat, my friend intervened and I was' successfully' booked.
    As my impact was now limited, we conceded to finish 1-1. So, I played my first ( and last) international. I'm still awaiting the cap, but the FA can't seem to find the paperwork. My alter ego , was furious on his return, as it turned out he was already carrying a few bookings - what is it with left backs ? - and he was then suspended.
    Happy Days !

14. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the story. I like these footballing tales.

Here is one of my own. I wrote my Master's dissertation on tourism development in The Gambia. I went there for a short visit and was befriended by a local who played for a side in the second division of the Gambian League. He told me that they didn't have a coach for their game to be played two days later in the National Stadium (built by the Chinese). Because I am English, he thought that I would be able to do the job. In the dressing room before the game I tried to sound as if I knew what I was talking about but I could see that the players were much more interested in the marijuana that was being passed round. As for the game my side scored one goal when the opposition goalkeeper was relieving himself against the advertising hoardings at the side of the pitch. We won 3-1 so I can claim that I have a 100% record as a coach.

15. Bolton's Boots

I love stories like that - and yours beats my sister-in-law's hands down.
    During the lead up to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, she was doing a volunteer stint in South Sudan, helping set up a hospital to serve remote villages there. In her honour, the village communities got together and organised their own World Cup - and she still has the cap they presented her for being selected as goalkeeper for South Sudan. She's happy to report that, although they didn't win the cup, she never let any goals in - ably assisted by the crowd of nurses who stood with her on the goal line whenever the opposition threatened.

16. andytoprankin

Great stories, guys. <ok>

17. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

18. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

19. Bolton's Boots

Markthehorn likes this.
  20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I am one of the fans who had their modest contribution accepted. Seeing as I will be in print, does this give me the right to join those here as a published author? :emoticon-0111-blush